Monday 19 August 2024

Happy Birthday Mummy! @ Burnin Pit

Last Saturday was mum's birthday and she wanted to give us a treat. Woohoo!!

Since it was a celebration, we must go somewhere special, somewhere happening, surely not Kar Hiong hah..hah...


So there we were at Burnin Pit for a good BBQ birthday lunch. My brother dropped us at the restaurant and went to park the car. While mum and I were seated we took our time to check the menu.

My brother and I were at Burnin Pit in 2020 and we enjoyed what we had back then. Somehow we never returned. Which was the reason why we chose (since mum asked us to suggest) to celebrate mum's birthday here.

As usual, all three of us chose Flat White as our choice of beverage.

The coffee was served one cup at a time (with quite a bit of time in between servings) and we were guessing that the barista was taking a long time to do the coffee art. As you can see, the coffee art was errr.... kindergarten level. LOL! But all was forgiven as the coffee was excellent.


When I took a look at the coffee cup, something triggered me. You can't put your finger through the handle, hence have to hold the cup with your thumb and index finger (with help from your other hand).


Mum noticed that there was a balai bomba in the vicinity and she joked that it was so convenient that a fire station was near a Burnin Pit hah..hah....


And now for the food. We chose The Austin, a sharing platter (according to the server this serves 4-6 people hah..hah...) which consists of BBQ Lamb Ribs (500g), Beef Brisket (400g), Pulled Lamb (200g), Quarter Chicken (Peri-Peri), Mac & Cheese, Southern Slaw, Homemade Beans and buns.


In addition to that, we also ordered two servings of the Grilled Corn. This corn on the cob is supposed to be basted with coconut milk but I noticed that there was not much coconut milk applied on the corn.

The ones we had back in 2020 had more coconut milk and made the corn so awesome. Not to say that this one was not good, it just needed more coconut milk.


As for the platter, wow! It was a loaded tray of food for 3 people (including an 81 year old) who can eat for 6. 


The Lamb Ribs were superb! It was delicious, tender and falling off the bone. 


Another meat that was awesome were the Beef Brisket. Also very tender and juicy. See those pickled chilies? Reminded me of those wanton mee green chilies hee..hee.. but these were salty and sour, not sweet. Really great eaten with all those meats.


The Pulled Lamb was unfortunately dry and therefore not our favorite. My brother loved the Peri-Peri Chicken which I remembered as being awesome from our previous visit (very different from Nando's). But I was too smitten with the beef and lamb to fully appreciate the chicken.

Now for the sides.


The Homemade Beans is their version of baked beans but loads better. I loved it and ate quite a fair bit (in spite of the carbs).


The Southern Slaw is a better version of coleslaws that you generally get at other places.


The Mac & Cheese I had only a little bit (mum did not have any) because I can't appreciate pasta with lots of cheese (cheddar and parmesan). This is more my brother's territory as he is a fan of Mac & Cheese.


Last item were these buns. I know I shouldn't have these but heck, I love bread, so I had one. It was not as fresh as it should be - a bit dry and not fluffy soft as I had hoped.

So that was a very meaty birthday celebration. Mum, even at 81, still has a very respectable level of appetite and ate with gusto. I guess we can come back again from time to time.


Happy Birthday, Mummy with lots of love πŸ’žπŸ’•πŸ’—Thank you for the awesome lunch!

14 comments:

  1. Happy birthday πŸŽ‚πŸŽ to your mom! πŸ₯³πŸŽ‰ May all her wishes come true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say it again, I know where you get your youthful looks from. From your mom! 😁 She looks greatπŸ‘
    Good food . Another place to add to my list, hehehe. Thanks for the review πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she will be pleased when she reads your comment hee..heh...

      Delete
  3. That's a platter built for at least 4 ppl (not 2 1/2)...lol. For 1.3 - 1.5kg of meat, that platter is built for 6 (if it was my family...hehe!). I cannot imagine chomping down 500g of meat per person and that does not even include the sides! :O Your family champion lah...including your mom! That looks like one good celebratory lunch for your mom. Those jalapenos act as pickles for something sourish that's much needed to cut through all that meat. P/S: Your mom's hair colour (for an elderly lady) must have turned many heads...haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, we are voracious eaters! LOL! There quite a number of aunties with that hair color (henna) that I see around my area and one time even one uncle had that hair color too hah..hah..

      Delete
  4. happy birthday to your mom! she looks youthful like a blondie girl, lol! seems like the 'voracious eater' genes run in your family...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, my late grandma on mum's side was also a voracious eater. We got the genes from her. LOL!

      Delete
  5. Non ergonomics coffee cups =.="
    Birthday girl give a treat, so unconventional, haha!
    Those meat indeed looked scrumptious! I never had grilled corn with coconut milk, better than with butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my family, that's the tradition. Your birthday, you treat. LOL! But there are occasions when we treat the birthday person. I think with coconut milk or butter, both are nice but different, so can't really compare.

      Delete
  6. Sincerely wishing your mom happy birthday. You are a filial girl who will spend time with their parents. Your mom's hair colour is not something new to me in our current era. Got elderly ladies spot purple or loud red colours too. Our family's members are big eaters too but small build (petite).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have yet to spot elderly ladies with purple or red hair yet LOL! Ah, your family big eaters too and I find that usually the petite ones can eat more than the big sized people.

      Delete
  7. Ah, your mom has a good sense of humor and very observant by joking that fire station near a burning pit. I like people with great sense of humor as I myself too am one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. yes, she has good sense of humor :D

      Delete