Saturday 26 October 2024

Homemade Milk Kefir

Previously I made Water Kefir and now I focus on Milk Kefir.

At one point I bought milk kefir grains (back in 2021/2022) and made milk kefir but at that time, I was not really into drinking this probiotic.

It had to be made everyday since it is harvested every 24 hours. I ended up with more milk kefir than I could consume and towards the end, I had kefir that over fermented (because the microbes multiplied and became very active). So I stopped.

But I am rediscovering milk kefir as I learnt about its health benefits.

Now, where do I start? OK, let's start with a jar of already fermented kefir.


This jar of milk had been fermented for 24 hours. Notice at the bottom of the jar there is a separation of curds and whey. That is an indication that the kefir is ready.


The kefir grains float to the top of the jar, propelled by the effervescence created by carbon dioxide in the milk.


The kefir is then strained to remove the kefir grains. I put a plastic strainer over a big jug and poured the fermented milk into the strainer.


I stirred the kefir using a spatula to help the liquids go through the strainer.


The kefir grains are what is left behind after all the liquids are strained.


To start another batch, collect the kefir grains and put them into a glass jar (that can accommodate one liter of milk).


Then pour one liter of full fat milk into the jar. Generally, one tablespoon of kefir grains to  one liter of milk.


I only use Farm Fresh full fat milk because the milk is simply fresh (pasteurized) milk. 


Then just let the jar of milk stand at room temperature for 24 hours. So easy.


Now, don't forget about the kefir that was strained earlier.


Just pour the kefir into a glass bottle and store it in the fridge. If the kefir separates, just shake the bottle to homogenize it. 

My tastebuds have changed so radically that I can accept (and enjoy) the taste of kefir. It is tart and creamy (buttery even), with a light yeasty aroma.


What if you don't want to make kefir everyday? If you want to take a break for say, two or three days, simply place the grains into a small bottle.


Add some milk into the container.


Then simply store the container in the fridge and it should be good for 3-4 days. When you are ready to make another batch of kefir, just strain the milk to retrieve the kefir grains (throw the milk away) and put the grains into a glass jar and pour fresh milk into it. Let stand for 24 hours and you get another batch of kefir.

Or if you want to make kefir on alternate days. After you strain the kefir, do like usual - put the grains into a jar, pour in the milk and instead of letting it ferment, store the jar in the fridge for 24 hours. The next day, take it out to stand for 24 hours to ferment.  Then simply repeat the procedure.


Besides fermenting milk, I have also started fermenting vegetables (besides kimchi). This is a jar of sauerkraut made with cabbage, carrots and onions. I left it to stand at room temperature for 5 days before storing it in the fridge. The veggies were sour and not too salty. Very good eaten with steak.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning! Thanks for sharing these health tips. They are very useful and important. I love to eat kimchi, yoghurt and raw garlic. Enjoy your weekends with your family!

    ReplyDelete