Wednesday 16 October 2024

Menya Huru Hara

It does sound Japanese doesn't it? Muahahahaha!!!

Well, yesterday morning it was raining non-stop (until about past 1:00pm). I got a message from mum telling me not to drop by on account of the rain. Mum is a very considerate person and she assured me that she would be fine since there are plenty of eggs in the house (for lunch).

So I stayed in the office and worked through until it was time for lunch. Since it was still raining, I dashed to The Starling


That's when I saw that Hanam BBQ was opening soon.


They are right opposite Jaya Grocer, where Chao Hotpot used to be. Then I made my way upstairs to Foodie's Nest. Alas, the food court was full house, so the next best place (right next to it) was Menya Appare.

Menya Appare had its grand opening on Saturday and was seeing brisk business. 


Besides ramen, they now have many new items added to the menu.

The carnivore in me was very pleased that there are now protein platters (with a smidgeon of plants) in the appetizer and side dish section.


Ah...Karaage galore!


Though I try to refrain from deep fried foods.


They also have add-ons for you to kar liew your ramen. What caught my eye was the ajitama. OMG one ajitama sets you back RM6.39. This egg must have been air flown direct from Japan.


Same goes for the Kenkori raw egg (RM4.57). I am not too concerned about the other add-on items.

Maybe except for the Pork Belly Charsiew and Pork Shoulder Charsiew which are equally pricey considering the portion size served (which is the same size as the default protein served with the ramen). So nope, if I want proteins, I would be better served ordering from the side dish menu.

Among the new dishes added to the repertoire of noodles are the Abura Soba and Clear Soup Ramen.


As usual, I was seated at the communal table and noted that the restaurant was almost full house.


My first order was the Pork Belly Negi Ponsu Sauce


Two very thinly sliced pork belly topped with some spring onion concoction and doused with savory salty ponsu sauce.


I was trying to figure out what the topping was made of. Initially I thought there were peanuts in them (blame my poor eyesight).


Like I mentioned, the restaurant was bustling and busy and the kitchen clearly could not cope with the sudden surge of diners.


At the table, I noticed this (fake) bonsai.


Soon 5 other diners sat opposite me and long after I finished my first course, my Spicy Tonkotsu Ramen was still work-in-progress.

I looked around to see that the other diners (who came way ahead of me) were still waiting for their orders. The staff came to apologize for the delay. I waited for something like 35 minutes before my ramen was served.


Luckily, it was worth the wait. This time I ordered the Standard instead of Deluxe and (again) changed noodles to cabbage.


As I was enjoying my meal, I saw one uncle cooking in the kitchen had to come out and do the serving hah..hah... The servers (and kitchen staff too) were scrambling to keep up with the orders (hence the huru hara in my post header).

Now I take note of how I feel after a meal outside. Happy to note that the food here is "clean" which in my definition means that I do not suffer adverse effects (no sudden drop in energy or mental fog) and I am not thirsty after drinking the ramen broth.

So that was my (keto-vore) lunch on a very rainy Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. The topping looks like salted vegetables from the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this starling branch is having better business than the branch in the gardens mall. Nice detailed description of the extensive menu from you, very good 👍 thanks 😊 I couldn't figure out what the toppings are from your photo so after you ate the toppings, what are they?

    ReplyDelete