Tuesday 27 July 2021

Lockdown Day #57 : Better Photography

I can't call this post good photography as opposed to bad photography because it is still not good, though very much improved. At least, now I don't cringe when I look at it hah..hah...

The quality of the photos that I take very much depend on (i) the lighting, I only use natural light (ii) the dish, some are more photogenic than others, and (iii) my mood. 


Among my many better photos, I think I like this one the best. Naturally, it had to be My Favorite Roasted Chicken. Which reminds me, I haven't roasted any chicken in recent times have I?


And not forgetting my Homemade Nando's Chicken though I now find this photo a bit too clinical. Tsk! 


What about my Chargrilled Vegetables? Food on a tray lined white white baking paper tend to look quite nice. One of the reasons is light reflected by the white paper.


Ah! I miss my homemade desserts. These Blueberry Cheesecake in Jars were so delightful but no, I haven't made any in ages. 


Now looking at these pictures, how I long for a Cheesecake in a Jar


This Burnt Cheesecake has been number one on my all time favorites side bar for the longest time. Once again, the white baking paper did a nice job reflecting light onto the cake.


This is one of the few photos that I do with props, my Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars. It is very tedious (I find) to shoot photos with props because it is very time consuming to arrange all the stuff and make sure that they complement each other.

What looks good with your naked eye will look different through the camera lens and that leads to having to rearrange the props. Very frustrating. These days I don't bother. Just take the photo of the main object.


This Nasi Goreng Sardin is one of those rare photos that turned out quite well due to the colors. I was also lucky that the sunlight that day was just right to give me the correct level of brightness.


This Nasi Ulam probably needed a little more color to make it pop. Perhaps a little bit more bunga kantan would have been nice.


Yellow is a very hard color to photograph and I think the curry leaves and bits of chili helped to make this Salted Egg Yolk Chicken photograph better. 


I won't say this photo is nice but I put it up here only because this Peanut Butter Banana Cake is probably the most complicated cake that I have baked and also one of my most favorite cakes to eat.

I shall always remember the first Peanut Butter Banana Cake that I attempted. I wonder if I will ever have the mojo to pull another stunt like this. Just thinking about it, I feel tired. This must be a sign of getting old.


I still remember how good these Cheddar Biscuits were especially warm for the oven. Gosh, I want one right now. 


But I am better off eating this Banana Yogurt Smoothie Bowl which is not only delicious with all those toppings but so pretty to look at. Don't you agree?

17 comments:

  1. Yes, that roasted chicken shot wins my vote too!

    Do you edit your photos? Last time I used Microsoft Photo Viewer and I was pleased with my photos then. Then I upgraded my PC and that MPV disappeared, not in my system anymore. That is why my photos are not nice these days. So pissed off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colourful smoothie bowl is pretty to look at, delicious to eat and also very nutritious and healthy food! Win win win! Looks like your desserts photos are your Favourites, more yhany your savoury dishes photos. Ah, your cheese cake in jars look so yummy! Can sell already! 😋😋😋 Yum yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desserts tend to photograph better hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. your photos are so professional-looking! u can publish recipe books with these good quality photos! i m so hungry after looking at these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned something about photography reading your post today. And I love those photos with props and the desserts photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite happy with my improvements heh..heh..

      Delete
  5. All those photos are nice!! And all looks nyummy!! Looking all these making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, I've also transitioned into better photography (I hope) though still not considered good...but, unlike you, I don't go looking for natural lighting and (these days) no props too (I've become a lazy bom bom like your cats..lol). My favourite photo is actually your chargrilled vegetables...that's why I featured it in my post today (not really lah...hah..hah...it just so happen my post was about roasted veggies). I think the best photos always comes from one where the dish is colourful and they look especially good when they have the colours of traffic lights (red, green & yellow...the first two colours being a must). And yes, I agree with you that anything against white brings out the colours of the dish best but putting everything on a white plate can also become boring (+ I don't have a white table!). P/S: That peanut butter banana cake looks so good you can start a FB page or Instagram to sell that cake...I'm sure you'd have very encouraging sales! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I read your post early this morning and it is my favorite topic - salads! Oh no, I cannot sell cakes. It is a very stressful enterprise and I will not survive hah..hah...

      Delete
  7. OMG I wish I could just eat that peanut butter banana cake of the screen! Your photos are nice what? And I don't see anything wrong with the ones you posted on "bad photos' post either. If you think they are bad then mine must be deleted... like straight away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are flattering me! I like! LOLOLOLOL!!!!

      Delete
  8. I used to put as many props as possible when I did my photo shooting but now going lazier and just one or two props + the main dish, that's all. LOL
    I totally agree with you, lighting is a crucial element for good food photos, at least for me because I like them bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, props are very tiring hah..hah... I notice that you put in a lot of effort in your styling and photography!

      Delete
  9. Those photos are lovely and sure tempt me to crave for those foods!

    ReplyDelete