Wednesday 31 January 2024

It's The End Of The Month

So fast it is already the last day of January 2024. Eight more days to Chinese New Year!

When I was a kid (and teenager) Chinese New Year was a time to look forward to. In particular the reunion dinner where it was very "lau juak" (very merry) with my aunties, uncles and cousins gathered at my maternal grandparents' house.

There was good homecooked food and lots of drinks for us to enjoy. And great conversation that brought lots of joy and laughter.

Then the following day we would all be decked out in new clothes and shoes all ready to go visiting and collecting ang pow (and walloping Chinese New Year snacks).

I'm afraid those days are long gone after grandpa and grandma left us. The reunion dinners from then on were more subdued and well, a shadow of what it used to be. And we no longer did any visiting. Ah well! Those were the good old days.


At The Starling the Chinese New Year mood is on and I do feel a little bit perky although this year, it will be a quiet one for my family. 


Outside Pets Naturale I saw this God of Prosperity.


Look at the prices. 


This is apparently a guinea pig. It does look like a tiny pig, doesn't it?


These little fellas don't come cheap.


Oh! Hello!


So cute!


Auuuwwww.......


Alolo....


These are the best pets because they don't "pangsai" (poop).


Then I popped by Popular Bookstore


Where I saw the When I Was a Kid series. I love this series and thought of buying (I have until the 3rd book I think).


There is a 20% rebate for members if you buy two and above.


But at that price, no lah. Better I go and eat roast duck.


Fish With You is doing all right. No, I haven't visited yet.


Their mascot has been given the God of Prosperity vibe but I think it looks like a Mexican hombre.


Nine Dragon Char Chan Teng is not busy anymore. It is now what the Hokkien people will say "phak bang" (beat mosquito).


At the food court, I noted that Sambal Inc has torn down its walls. The kiosk next to it (vacated by Li Wei) is still not occupied.


Then today it looked like this.


I spotted a designated "pork free area" towards the back. That's a good idea because there is a mix of pork and pork-free food stalls at the food court.

So this "pork-free" designated area will make it comfortable for our Muslim friends to dine there.


At the basement outside Jaya Grocer there is a spot selling Chinese New Year goodies.


Look at the dragon. Haiz ....


Ah... kuih bakul ... I love this fresh and soft eaten with grated coconut. And of course those deep fried ones sold at goreng pisang stalls. Ish! I mustn't think of these things!


Inside Jaya Grocer I saw this dragon again.


Hmmm.... The illustrator could have done a better job.


Upstairs at the concourse I saw these ang-ang (red red) hampers.


In contrast, these hampers look so dull.


Today's lunch.


I made it to the last day of World Carnivore Month.


Going on to Chinese New Year month still a carnivore. Just as well there is no reunion dinner and therefore no temptation of carbs. Hah!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for walking us around the starling mall. I was there recently and didn't see as much as you have shown us in this post. Aiyor, my heart aches to see those tiny kittens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know .... those tiny kitties I also feel sad for them.

      Delete
  2. Not a fan of kuih bakul but I chanced upon a stall in Kuching where they sold deep fried slices of it in between slices of sweet potato and yam. Very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I touched babies genuine pig in a petting zoo ad they are furless and really look like a pig!

    ReplyDelete