Sunday 28 January 2024

Kimchi Disaster

No, it wasn't that the kimchi fermented and then exploded or anything dramatic like that.

It just didn't taste right. Maybe I still need to wait a few more days for the flavors to improve and develop further.

So. Anyway. It started out like this. The evening before Thaipusam, I purchased some napa cabbage. Around 2.3kg worth.


The following day, I salted the cabbage.


I made the easy kimchi (mak kimchi) where you cut the cabbage into bite sized pieces instead of the traditional one where the cabbage is cut into quarters.


After 2 hours (tossing every 30 minutes) the cabbage shrank considerably.


In the process of tossing, I found extra protein.


Eeee.....geli!


The cabbage was rinsed three times and left to drain. The night before, I had already prepared the chives and spring onions.

While the cabbage was draining, I made the kimchi paste and while waiting for it to cool, I cut the carrot and daikon into strips.


I think I may have put too much gochugaru (red pepper flakes) but that was the amount I used previously. Somehow this time it didn't seem right. Never mind lah.


There it is. One big basin and one small basin of kimchi.


I transferred the whole lot into 4 containers. I let the two small containers stand at room temperature (covered of course) for 24 hours.

It was still not sour and I let it continue to ferment for another 12 hours. Oh, I also found the kimchi too spicy hot. Back in 2021 I didn't find it too spicy at all. 

After 12 hours, the kimchi was just a bit sour and I transferred the containers to the fridge to continue to ferment slowly. I don't want the kimchi to become over ripe. It still doesn't taste good as of today.


This morning I transferred some kimchi from the big container in the fridge into a glass bottle. This I will let ferment for 48 hours. Hopefully by Tuesday morning it will achieve the right degree of ferment.

Even if it didn't turn out well, I can always use the kimchi to cook kimchi jigae.


On the day I made the kimchi, I ate some (fresh) with my meal and due to the spiciness, I experienced atom bomb the next day wahahahaha!!! Oh dear.

Well, there will be another opportunity for me to make another batch of kimchi during the Chinese New Year holidays. I will use only half of the red pepper powder. I am sure the next batch will see improvement.

8 comments:

  1. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I am waiting for my tummy to heal and I would eat a pot of Kim Chi Jigae!! I love that dish so much.

    When I joined the Kim Chi making class during the tour in Korea, we were told to let our marinated Kim Chi to ferment for at least few days. The better duration is 2 weeks or follow the famous brands that let it rot in the pots at their garden for months!!! I salute you for being so adventurous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Korea it is OK to let the kimchi ferment for a few days but here with our super hot weather, cannot lah. I fermented another batch yesterday afternoon and this morning I discovered that the kimchi "exploded" LOL! It rose all the way to the top of the bottle and the juices spilled out. So cleaned up and put it into the fridge. Will do taste test this evening. My kitchen smelled so "fragrant" LOL!

      Delete
  2. Eyewww!!! Kim Chi! No, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry. I didn't make for you. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Wah, you are so diligent. I salute you! Fingers crossed that the kimchi will taste good to you after a few more days.

    ReplyDelete