Sunday 14 January 2024

No Rice

Starting last Saturday, when we go for lunch outings after our nursing home visit, I don't eat rice.

The server will serve two bowls of rice, one for mum and one for brother. I get an empty plate. Mum asked me if I would be full (satiated) without rice and I replied with a resounding yes.


We ordered a pot of puer tea. Not my favorite tea but I don't mind it at all. Puer has an earthy bouquet but the one served here (Kar Hiong, Subang Jaya) has a milder flavor. 


I suggested this pork belly with mui choy. It was a small portion with lots of mui choy and we wished there was a bit more meat. 


I also suggested this French beans with preserved vegetables (can't remember the name). It was quite good.


Our default order of honey pepper oyster mushrooms - this time a big portion. Even then, it felt like it was not big enough hah..hah.. We find this so addictive. Deep fried foods with a delicious sweet sauce always has that effect.


This is my brothers favorite steamed fish dish. Carp with poh choy. The fish was fresh and it was a good as ever. We just need to be careful because this fish has lots of fine tiny bones.


That was a very satisfying meal. I was properly satiated even without rice. I know there are people (like my partner) who don't feel full without rice.


In the car on the way home, I was feeling happy with the taste of the honey pepper mushrooms still lingering in my mouth. I joked with my brother that we need an XXL serving next time hah..hah...

10 comments:

  1. I had mui choy pork belly last night and I simply had to ask for a bowl of rice to eat together with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a dish to be enjoyed with rice. Lots. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Is the taste of the honey pepper mushrooms something similar to Pai guat wong ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite close I think. Next time I will check if they have pai guat wong on the menu and I will order to confirm. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Pu'er tea is my favourite but it must not be too strong. It calms my mind and emotions well.
    You guys ate very delicious meal and that would make everyone happy including leaving the honey pepper still sticking in between your gigi. Muahahaha 😂😂😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I bought those pu'er tea that look like dried "gusai" years ago due to my aunties influence >.<

      Delete
  4. I know there are people who don't feel full without rice...like your partner, mom.....and me...lol! The preserved vegetable topping on the french beans looks like choy poh that has been fried till crispy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I think many people are like that. Ah, yes! That was choy poh but it wasn't as crispy as I had hoped.

      Delete
  5. Eat dishes without rice indeed cannot have that "full" satisfaction/feeling which I sometimes can feel it when I omit rice during dinner time. But I can live with it since I practice carbo-less diet, like 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 10 years of low carb diet. I salute you!

      Delete