Tuesday 20 June 2023

Regret. Regret. Regret.

Today I had what my people would call a case of Itchy Backside (but in Hokkien). It pretty much means doing something (which seemed like a good idea at the time) and then regretting it.

Like buying an aquarium because you love gazing at all those colorful fishes and then realizing that you need to clean the aquarium regularly because it gets really gunky.

I wanted to eat beef noodles (yup, yup, I know need to cut down my carbs) and instead of going to the tried and tested, I decided to revisit Shen Niu Beef Noodle House.


In the past, I visited once and only once. There must be a reason when you don't go back, right? But I forgot why.


I have walked past many times and my observation is they were never full house.


Ordering is done by way of ticking your choice on the laminated menu.


I noted that the place is now manned by foreign workers. The local guys who used to run the show when they first opened were nowhere to be seen.


That's my dry style Braised Oxtail Noodles (ramen). The soup that accompanied the meal was SALTY. And that's it. Salty with no other flavor profile. So I just fished out the coriander leaves and transferred them to the noodles.


As you can see, the portion of oxtail was miserable. They were tender but not falling off the bone. Some pieces still had a bite and I had to use my hand to handle the meat. The carrot was tasteless and overall the noodles failed to impress.


Towards the end of my meal, a gentleman took the seat opposite. From the questions he was asking the server, I could tell it was his first visit. I wished I could tell him, go someplace else. Ah, well. I am sure he won't be back. Neither will I. I don't foresee this place lasting very long.


Meanwhile upstairs, Teow Chew Meng is making a comeback. Seriously??? I did not have a good experience when I visited before they shut down.


This was my dinner (leftovers from lunch) on Sunday. Why are my hard boiled eggs like that? Don't ask.

My partner sent me this photo.


This cat looks grumpy but at the same time I thought it looked cute.


It has a bushy tail.


And then it flopped down on the ground asking for attention. It looks like an old cat and it is female.

I was still hungry after the lunch and went around looking for something (light) to eat.


So I went to Bask Bear Coffee (on the same floor at the basement) hoping to get coffee and a toastie.

I was told by the counter staff that they are only serving coffee because "there is something wrong with the kitchen". This newly opened outlet has been empty for many weeks. So I checked google review and oh dear, it does not bode well for whoever owns this outlet. I shall not get itchy butt to visit this one hah..hah...hah...

8 comments:

  1. The noodles look like instant noodles, so unexciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah so the quality of the food at shen niu has gone way down. The owner should take note. Same goes for bask bear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely one with itchiest backside and now I have a comrade PH too. I never learnt enough from mistakes and blamed human desires.
    That beef noodles in the bowl looked safe to me if I didn't hear your reviews but the carrot piece would raise my eyebrows. I don't like them so raw in that dish. Perhaps the salty soup should be added into the noodles to improve the taste. Sometimes I wondered how the owners/chefs were so confident with their dishes that they would take the risk to open restaurants and only had to close down later. The losses are painful!

    The grumpy cat looked cute and should be in TikTok!! It's looks really old and made me sad that aging happens to every living beings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL!!! I agree with you. These people are very gung ho. In fact A Pie Thing also caplap already.

      It is a sad fact of life that we grow old and weak. But I am trying to grow old and yet maintain optimum health. Don't know can jadi or not.

      Delete
  4. I'm like that too...sometimes I forget and order from the same stall that I told myself I would not eat again. But this Shen Niu (I read the post again), I thought you enjoyed the food other than the soup being a bit salty.

    It has not been a good time for the F&B business even now that the pandemic is over. Some are unable to recover from their losses. Even places with good food have closed...the most recent one being Cork & Cleaver. My favourite shop in my neighbourhood has also called it a day. I go there not because the food is stellar but because the people are stellar. They're super friendly and we always have a good chit-chat (like family)...haiz.

    P/S: That kitty looked like it was crossed with those grumpy-faced breed...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's really sad. Two coffee shops here closed down and now there are only three. I also tend to support shops where the people are, as you described, stellar. They are warm and friendly and make you feel so welcome. Like the Seremban beef noodle lady boss. She is really nice. The beef noodles may not be my favorite (I really have no other choice here LOL!) but I still support the business.

      Yes, I also think that kitty is a cross between an atas and an ordinary cat hah..hah...

      Delete