Wednesday 5 August 2020

Pho Real@The Starling : My Other Vietnamese Favorite


You know I love Vietnamese food. I go to Pho Vietz@The Starling all the time. I never get tired of the food.

Then in January this year, another Vietnamese eatery opened at A Foodie's Nest@The Starling. It's called Pho Real. This outlet comes from the people who used to run the now closed Du Viet.


This was my first meal on opening day, talk about being enthusiastic!


Yes, I was greedy. I had the Hanoi Beef Fillet Pho (notice how generous they were with the basil, mint and beansprouts) and...


... the Spring & Summer Combo Rolls.


Then two months later the MCO happened. What a bummer! But now with the RMCO, I can finally come back to enjoy more of Pho Real's food.


I tried the Hue Spicy Beef Brisket Noodle (with add on tendon).


Ooh! Very nice!


The broth was sourish and spicy.Very appetizing indeed.


I love tendon! That's why I always have it as an add-on.


Then I went back for the Beef Stew White Radish Rice Set.


With the set you get spring rolls and salad.


As well as a Caramel Custard. Honestly, the caramel custard is just OK only, not too sweet and quite ordinary. The spring rolls are just average. 


However, the beef stew was commendable, meaty and full of flavors. It's a little spicy too.


Another day, I returned for the Charbroiled Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken Chop.


I did not expect much but was pleasantly surprised by how aromatic and delicious the chicken chop was. My only complaint is the plate is too big hah..hah... 


Many days later, I came back for the Braised Spicy Lemongrass Chicken Set.


This dish is aromatic with strong flavors albeit a little too oily. It tastes something like Devil Curry but with lemongrass. They gave me the breast part (very meaty) and chicken wings. Maybe next time I can ask if I could have the leg portion.


Again the caramel custard and spring rolls were ordinary. Next time, I will skip the set.


I had the Hanoi Beef Fillet Pho again with brisket and tendon add on. It was so good! I will be back many many times hee..hee...

Now let's see some things that I had from the other stalls that were not to my liking.


This is the Mee Sua Tow from Teo Chew Meng which I think is an outright rip off. It was just a bowl of starchy broth with a few strands of mee sua and hardly any proteins. I will never come back.


And then there was this bento from this Taiwanese Noodle place that I visited in 2018. Nope, they have not improved. The food was so so and ugh! the microwaved carrots and broccoli!

And then I spotted this.


Someone abandoned this barely eaten wat tan hor. I wonder why.

35 comments:

  1. I think the person is on a low carb diet plan so can only permit him/herself to eat 3 scoops and no more. So sayang to just abandon the wat tan hor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine why a person on low carb diet would want to order wat tan hor hah..hah...

      Delete
    2. Idam the taste mah, so just want to eat three mouthfuls la.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't buy anything from the bento stall either, they are giving a bad name to Taiwanese food so they better buck up or close down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed that they are still around.

      Delete
  3. The teo chew Meng stall should be the same as the shop in SS2. I don't think I have ordered Mee sua from the shop before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. I am not encouraged to visit again.

      Delete
  4. Wow! All the food at Pho Real sounds so tasty, especially the beef dishes. Now I want to eat all the beef dishes, so so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that you enjoyed the beef, i would go for the chicken though. I missed my vietnam trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner always chooses chicken pho since he does not eat beef.

      Delete
  6. U made me crave for vietnamese food....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the wat tan hor must be disappointing, that is why the person abandoned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope the standards have not dropped until so bad.

      Delete
  8. I have Hanoi Vietnamese chicken pho in my blogpost today! Gotta be more generous with my garnishing! I love Vietnamese! Taiwanese? No, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and guess what! Something made me think of you. LOL!!!

      Delete
    2. The hard to peel eggs. So cheeky. LOL!

      Delete
  9. You must really like the Vietnamese food here....for real...hehehe! ;) I remember you liking the wat tan hor here (from Champ's, right?). The person must have felt unwell (giddy) after he/she was slapped with a bill close to RM20 for a plate of noodles (at a food court), so he/she couldn't finish it...wuahahahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! hah..hah.. I certainly hope that it was not because the wat tan hor was lousy. Let me go check it out and see if standards have dropped hah..hah..

      Delete
  10. I like Vietnamese pho too, with lots of lemon juice! And recently I fell in love with their buns and fillings.. the chicken is of teriyaki sauce, I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like their bahn mi too. Tried it once at Pho Vietz and was quite happy :)

      Delete
  11. salata çok severim. İçine közlenmiş et ile de güzel olur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etli salataları tercih ederim yoksa acıkacağım.

      Delete
  12. I like Vietnamese food but seldom get to enjoy because hubby not keen, he doesn't like the basil. The Vietnamese food you showed makes me drool....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happen to love basil and I wish I could have extra. LOL!

      Delete
  13. Not so into Vietnamese. Do not mind once in a while for a change. The spicy lemongrass chicken set looked good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on of my favorite cuisines besides Korean.

      Delete
  14. Masakan Vietnam memang sedap-sedap! Sesetengah menu banyak sayurnya. Sihat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thae apperance of the spicy noodles looked like our curry/laksa. I like tendon too, love the springy yet soft texture. Seem like Pho Real is your fav stall in this food court huh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my favorite stall and healthier than wat tan hor hee..hee..

      Delete
  16. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also vietnamese food

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. https://thevietnamesefood.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. authentic vietnamese food singapore

    ReplyDelete