Monday 3 August 2020

I Went K-Crazy Again


Before the MCO, I bought another cookbook. I know. I told myself that I must not buy anymore cookbooks because I have too many already.

But I can't help it. Because.....

Photo credit : Maangchi
My favorite Korean lady's cookbook, so how could I resist? So in keeping with the Korean spirit, I made kimchi using the recipe from the book.


Then I got creative and decided to kimchi some cauliflower.


I mean, why not, right?

So I ended up with two containers of regular kimchi and one container of cauliflower kimchi. I kept the containers in the fridge so that the kimchi stays fresh longer (I prefer it that way) and the fermentation will take place slowly.


I loved the cauliflower kimchi. The cauliflower is crunchy combined with radish, carrots and spring onions in kimchi paste.


I also enjoyed the regular kimchi. I tweaked the recipe a little bit and it tasted so much better than my first attempt.

Since I was on a Korean theme, I ordered some Korean fried chicken. After all, it was Sunday, enjoy a bit lah.


Not bad. I ate with rice and my homemade kimchi.


This way I made it a more balanced meal.


I also meal prepped because I am tired of eating out. Besides, it is expensive. Among the things I prepped is this recipe from Maangchi's Big Book of Korean Cooking.


Soy Butter Pan Grilled Chicken. Now I know the secret of that elusive aroma that I find in grilled chicken at the Japanese restaurants - it's butter!


It is a simple recipe and I loved it. I don't have time to type out the recipe but you can follow this recipe from Maangchi.com.

Photo credit : Maangchi
I hope I to keep up with my meal preps!

20 comments:

  1. Eyewwwwwww!!! I sure wouldn't mind trying the Soy Butter Pan Grilled Chicken though. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - you and kimchi don't mix. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Wow! IAM drooling at your kimchi. You will have many buyers if you sell your crunchy cauliflower kimchi. I am one of them. What brand of butter do you use to grill your chicken? I believe the brand of butter makes a lot of difference to the taste of the grilled chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. I will be experimenting with other types of kimchi. The butter I used is SCS.

      Delete
  3. yummy Korean fried chicken...Is that soy garlic flavor? It sure goes well with kimchi! yummzz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you guessed correctly. But I prefer Kyochon's heh..heh...

      Delete
  4. Kimchi!! My son wanted to sell kimchi online! hahahaa.. His all time favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Your son makes kimchi! You must show on your blog hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. i can imagine a lot of vegetables that you could kimchi-fy! long beans, ladies' fingers, zucchini ... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I will be experimenting very soon! hee..hee..

      Delete
  6. I'd gladly have your soy butter grilled chicken minus the kimchi...hehe! ;) Any meat basted in butter is bound to taste delicious (just like they do with steaks)...but not too much butter overall (for me). Ah, this is a meal that suits your partner...fried chicken & grilled chicken! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. I remember that you dislike kimchi. I didn't like it either in the past but ever since making my own, I love it. The ones at the restaurant, I still dislike, except for some which do taste nice. When I first cooked with butter, I was skeptical because I don't like dishes that are heavy in butter (like you), I discovered that a little bit does make the food taste so good.

      Delete
  7. A neighbour gave me a container of kim chi few weeks ago. Homemade. I dont fancy it but hubby loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Another one who is not a fan hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. Not sure my uncompleted comment was published, here's the complete one :P
    I love those pickled white radish which always served with Korean fried chicken, did your food delivery came with that?
    Look at that charred marks on the chicken, I know they are smoky delicious eh.... yum yum~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't give the pickled radish. But when I order from Kyochon, they give and I love those pickles. Very addictive!

      Delete
  9. Wow your grilled chicken looks so juicy and tender. Kimchi for me anytime. I went k crazy recently too, had two times korean dinner, one time is bbq chicken, the other time is korean beancurd soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that Korean food is very wholesome because they eat lots of vegetables.

      Delete
  10. Korean dan kimchi tak dapat dipisahkan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betul tu! Kimchi dengan nasi aje pun dia orang boleh makan. Tak payah lauk lain hah..hah...

      Delete