Monday 17 August 2020

Wanton Mee At Home : Ma Noodles 1964 Premium Duck Egg Wanton Mee


When I read about Ma Noodles from Sean's blog, I was so interested that I made my purchase that day itself. Amazingly the noodles were delivered the next day. So fast!


I bought the smallest order of 6 pieces with dry sauce (you can also opt for without sauce and the next size is 12 pieces). The noodles arrived in this very classy paper bag. 


Inside were the sauces and noodles.


The noodles are shrink wrapped together and if you are not consuming all, you can wrap them up individually in plastic bags. These noodles can stay fresh 3-5 days chilled or up to 3 months if frozen. 


The sauce can be kept at room temperature and the current batch expires May 2021.


Each portion is good for one serving. It may look small because it is compacted. So don't be greedy like me. The first time, I cooked two portions at once and found that it was too much. Even for a big eater like me.

If you kept the noodle chilled, take it out from the fridge to let it come to room temperature before attempting too loosen it. It is very stiff straight out from the fridge. Oh yes, you can detect the whiff of duck eggs from these premium duck egg wanton noodles.


You need to unravel it because it is packed tightly wound up. Ah! Just like DNA. I used to explain how the long DNA strands are packed to help my classmates imagine how the nucleotide strands are tightly packed to form chromosomes. You see, I was thinking of DNA as noodles. So imaginative, right? Sorry, I digress.


Loosen them like so before throwing them into a pot of boiling water to cook.

These are the instructions that come with the noodles.


Or you could hangout near a wanton mee stall and observe how the wanton mee man cooks and rinses the noodles.

I followed the instructions but because I was not adept with this technique, I ended up with soggy noodles. So the next time, I boiled the noodles for just one minute, transferred them to a colander and rinsed the noodles under running water. It worked like a charm!

Just before you cook the noodles, be sure to get your sauce ready in a mixing bowl so that you can toss the noodles in the sauce immediately. The sauce is pretty good - I am guessing it is a mix of shallot oil and some good quality soy sauce. One packet is enough for one portion of noodles.


Of course by default wanton mee is served with wantons and char siew. But at home, you might not have any wanton or char siew lying around. So think outside the box and eat your wonton mee with other stuff. 


Like minced pork. Or braised pork. Or leftover chicken curry. 


Or make an Asian inspired noodle salad.


I am quite happy with these duck egg wanton mee and I have a few stashed in the freezer for me to enjoy over the next few weekends.

24 comments:

  1. Looks tasty! I am sure I need to force myself to finish one portion of noodles so need to share. So the duck egg smell is strong in the noodles itself. I wonder whether I will like that or not. Let me go see how much these noodles are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once cooked, you won't detect much of the duck egg smell.

      Delete
  2. Wah, so you are a top science student to teach your friends how to remember DNA. It must be a very interesting story of how you ended up as a chartered accountant instead of a biologist scientist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long story and maybe one day I will tell hah..hah..

      Delete
    2. Fingers crossed that one day you will cerita oanjang about it. 🀞 Thanks in advance. 😊

      Delete
  3. That looks good! I sure would love to try! The packaging looks very exclusive. Must have cost quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can go to the website to check the prices. I think it is reasonable seeing that the process of making the noodles is quite laborious.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I would like a bowl of your wanton noodles with minced meat... looks so tempting! During MCO, I bought two packets of fresh wanton noodles, 20 in all, greedy of me cos free delivery for 2 packets. Gave some to my neighbour and I should have kept them in the freezer. The last 4 pieces turned mouldy after two or three weeks..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, so sayang! Yes, next time put in the freezer.

      Delete
    2. Turned mouldy inside the fridge?

      Delete
  5. lolx, u have such high imagination of thinking about DNA when seeing wanton noodles. The wanton noodles with minced meat looks so good!!! I wanna have a mouthful of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. Those were the good old days!

      Delete
  6. the finished product looks so delicious, i'd bet if the ma noodles family saw this, they'd ask to post the photos on their social media pages :) it sounds fun to figure out different recipes for these noodles - maybe with kimchi and prawns? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I am so flaterred hee..hee... Kimchi and prawns sound promising, I shall experiment!

      Delete
  7. The noodles and packaging look great. Let me think what I can serve the noodles with first before even contemplating to buy...hee..hee! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will appreciate these noodles. How about doing something with minced meat and preserved radish and enjoying it with the wanton mee? hee..hee...

      Delete
  8. The wanton noodles look good. I like the way you cook your wanton noodles, especially the one with minced meat. Maybe I will buy some to keep in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so fast to cook, faster than instant noodles. LOL!

      Delete
  9. I was worried I would spoilt the noodles when I loosen them and luckily they were still in good condition after being loosen, hehe :P
    I cooked 2 that day and the portion seem like bigger than what we normally had in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The portion is generous, I found that two especially with toppings can feed two big eaters quite comfortably.

      Delete
  10. That is an interesting packaging. The wanton noodle looked yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It;s very nice that I can now have wanton mee anytime at home. Just no wantons and char siew only hah..hah..

      Delete