Monday 19 June 2023

Ajuuma, Damansara Uptown


On another Grabcar ride to the hospital last week, I discovered yet another new restaurant, Ajuuma @ Damansara Utama/Uptown.

Restaurants that are located on the outer ring of the shophouses that surround Damansara Uptown are less visible to me because I seldom venture to that area. I also noted that these restaurants tend to attract less traffic.


So last Friday after the hospital visit (the day my dad was discharged) I dropped by for a quick lunch before heading back to the office.


The decor as you can see is minimal, no frills and definitely not instagrammable. If I had to describe it, only one word comes to mind - clinical.


I would say that the ambiance is cold, not a cosy place to hang out but what is more important is the food and service, right?

Ordering here, as it becoming the trend, is by way of scanning the QR code although they do give you a physical menu. Payment is made after you are done with your meal.

What is served here are basically rice bowls, noodles, fried chicken and other Korean side dishes. Let me show you a sampling of the menu.

Bibimbap.


Noodles


Soup


Stir Fry dishes


Yup, fried chicken.


Pancake and Gimbap

Kimchi Rice Bowl


On my first visit, I ordered the Bibimbap Beef Slice and Korea Barley Tea.


Service was very fast. I suppose the components of the bibimbap are all precooked and all that needed to be done was to assemble.

In the bowl there was purple rice (you can also opt for white rice), an assortment of vegetables, kimchi and beef slices. It was topped with a fried egg and a dollop of gochujang sauce.

As I understand it, to eat bibimbap, you mix everything up kacau, kacau, kacau and then you ngap!


Tastewise, what can I say? It was nice enough and if you love bibimbap, then you should have no complaints. The Korea Barley Tea was very refreshing on a scorching hot day (as is everyday unfortunately).

Today, I revisited but not for the carbs hah...hah....


I had the Stir Fry Bulgogi Beef Slice. I was very pleased that there was not much glass noodles in the dish, so I can say that I managed to low carb (though not quite ketovore since bulgogi sauce is sweet). It was quite tasty though the portion size was a tad small for me. If you want rice, you have to order separately.


Today's drink was a bit diluted. 

All in all, I think Ajuuma is good for a quick fuss free Korean inspired meal. It is not super authentic but good enough if you are not particularly fussy about your Korean fix.


Note : I will not come back here again. Why? Read here.

10 comments:

  1. Ajuuma sounds Indian to me...but turns out to be Korean...lol! Not a fan of bimbibap...maybe because I don't like to kacau2 all my food up. I think the clinical/metallic decor is in line with their all silver/metallic tableware...hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! When Choi Yen blogged about Nanda Chicken, I thought it was Indian hee..hee.. I am not exactly crazy about bibimbap but I can eat. It was a craze in the USA decades ago (I read about it in Newsweek when I was a teen). When I saw their stainless steel bowl/plate, I thought of you!

      Delete
  2. Oh? So it's a Korean place, eh? The bibimbap looks very neat and clean...just like the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Korean inspired I would say, not exactly authentic.

      Delete
  3. Ajuuma means old lady in Korean language. They often use this word to poke fun on people and friends.

    I remembered the first Korean meal I had was Bibimbap when I was a US student. Those days Malaysia did not have any Korean restaurant yet. My Korean friends recommended me this dish and I loved it like crazy. Later on they recommended Dolsott Bibimbap which had to be served in the hot fired stone bowls. It was perfect for the long winter months.

    I am glad the food turned out good as their interior looks cold and sad. Could it be a N Korean boss who opened it? Lolol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could call me Ajuuma LOL! I remembered reading in Newsweek (when I was in secondary school) about how bibimbap took the USA by storm. I was curious about it and like you said, Malaysia did not have any Korean restaurants at the time.

      North Korean boss? LOL! You are so funny!

      Delete
  4. Ah, long time I didn't eat bibimbap though I like to eat it. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want a better Bibimbap, go to Seoul Classic instead of here.

      Delete
  5. The restaurant looked like a cafeteria to me. How's the pricing? There's no price stated in the "menu". :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on the pricey side. The bibimbap I had was RM25.90.

      Delete