Friday 2 June 2023

Chicken Rice and Salad

Well, I ate chicken rice and salad but not together though that would have been a possibility at my mum's dining table (back in the good old days lah).

My dad has been at home since being discharged from the hospital some two weeks ago. After staying at the hospital for some three weeks (and having hospital food), he is now eating with a vengeance. His gastronomic pleasure of choice - chicken rice!

Well, I have been ordering chicken rice for my parents via Grabfood (not everyday though). If that is what they enjoy eating, I am more than happy to fulfill their request. Since my mum does not know how to use the camera function on her phone, I have no idea what the chicken rice looked like.

So.


I ordered one today just to satisfy my curiosity. 


This order is from 1977 New Ipoh Chicken Rice@Damansara Jaya. My dad's typical order (mum follows suit) is chicken rice with added siew yoke and char siew.


I am happy that my dad had developed a healthy appetite and eating more meat. As I have said before, protein is a very important macro nutrient, not just for growing children but also for the aged. Do not, I repeat, do not be afraid of protein.


Protein is required to build and maintain muscle mass and for tissue repair. It is also important for your skin, hair and bone health.


1977 Ipoh Chicken Rice is currently giving out a RM10.00 voucher for minimum spend of RM50.00 for dine-in only. Hmmm...maybe my partner and I could pop by one of the weekends for dinner.


Yesterday I had salad for lunch. I figured that if I can't go carnivore when eating out, the next best option is to go ketovore - protein + (low carb) veggies.


I had the same thing a few days ago as I quite enjoyed this Grilled Chicken Salad @ The Red Kettle.


I added tempeh (even though it is not keto complaint) simply because I am a tempeh freak.


The description on the menu - Grilled chicken masala, avocado, lave egg, quinoa, cashew, roasted cauliflower, corn, cherry tomatoes, mesclun greens, mint, kasturi, yogurt & pomegranate dressing.


It's pretty good I tell you.


This is my beefy soup that I had for dinner. 


Well, I am happy with my meals. Burrrpp!!!

12 comments:

  1. Yes true. Protein is important for our body function. Must not discard protein. Every parts of our bodies need protein. Good that your dad eats well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you think the same way and have the knowledge!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that your father is having a good appetite and enjoys eating chicken rice. Wow! It seems like all the food in red kettle is so tasty! Yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like most of the food I have tried but there were some that I did not like so much. I have yet to blog about it. LOL!

      Delete
  3. The chicken rice set your parents had looks really good. I sure would not mind having that as well. Did you cook the egg with the runny yolk? I'd give you my double thumbs up - perfegg!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that egg I had at a restaurant.

      Delete
  4. All your salads (executed with runny egg yolk) at The Starling look yummy...got avocado, pumpkin, roasted cauliflower, mesclun leaves, cherry tomatoes, corn...my kind of meal.....except for that tempeh (one thing I don't eat)...lol! ;)

    Ah, I see you take after your parents....must have good portions and 'macam-macam' on one plate...that's a lot of meat...my mom would not be able to finish that. I buy roasted pork rice (her fav) and she sometimes keep half the meat for dinner...haiz! >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I love that salad and I still love tempeh. LOL! I remember you mentioned that you dislike tempeh.

      The big eater is my mum who got that trait from my late grandma (ergo my big appetite LOL!). Your mum is a small eater and most people I know are like that too. They have to share their food because they can't finish regular portions. I think it is good, for weight control hah..hah...

      Delete
  5. the grilled chicken salad looks colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You already had the grilled chicken salad for 4 times when you were writing this post, judging from your last collage photo? Perhaps you can teach your mom the phone camera function so that she can use it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had this salad twice already. I will have it again when I want a low carb lunch.

      Delete