Wednesday 24 August 2022

30 Day Carnivore Challenge : Day #24

Today I did not bring any food from home. I wasn't sure if I would be hungry or not.

Last night I had the case of the munchies. I ate a good dinner did I not? I was full but later my stomach had other ideas. Luckily I had reinforcements.


In the form of pork rinds! Well, this was a life saver.


They were very crunchy and fresh and tasted mildly like chee yau char. If you are curious, the texture is like keropok.

When my shipment arrived (just two cannisters, not a whole crate hah..hah...) I immediately put them into the freezer to maintain freshness. These things can go rancid if kept at room temperature for too long.

These are now my new "potato chips" and of course I shall try not to cultivate a snacking habit. 


At lunchtime, I decided to pay a visit to Jia Bao Bak Kut Teh @ The Starling Foodcourt. When I took this photo some days ago, the stall looked very deserted.


However, today there were many customers. There was a young lad manning the stall and he appeared to be kelam kabut with the many orders. 

There was an old couple ahead of me and the auntie is the type of auntie who will ask 1,000 questions about everything on the menu. She asked the young man "Is this fresh, ah?", pointing to the menu.

What was she expecting? "No lah auntie, this one leftovers from yesterday"? hah..hah..hah.. The young man replied "This is cooked today". This reminded me of my auntie who will always ask the fruit vendor at the market "Is this sweet?" Of course the vendor will say it is. Haiz.

Finally when it came to my turn, I ordered the Mixed Cut and Mixed Intestines. Very quick, precise and to the point. No need to ask this and that. I could have done an auntie and asked "Your mixed cut got what, ah?" heh..heh..heh...


There you go. Bak Kut Teh, no rice. If you are wondering why on earth I took fork and spoon, well, there was a customer who took his own sweet time at the cutlery counter. So I simply grabbed what was within reach and got out of there.


This is the Mixed Cut which consisted of a small piece of pork leg and some pork belly and lean meat. Alas there were some non-carnivore items in there namely tau pok (just two oieces) and enoki mushrooms. Not an issue at all. 


This is what I was really looking forward to - the Mixed Intestines which was a mix of big and small intestine.


I was pleased to note that the intestines were very well cleaned and had none of that unpleasant smell. 


Between the big and small intestine, I prefer the big one.


As for the BKT broth, I would say it is quite strong on the herbs, not quite the BKT that I like. I won't say that it is bad, just too herbal-ly for me. But having said that, this is a good back up for me for those days when I don't bring any food with me and I get peckish during lunchtime.

To their credit, I did not suffer any ill effects from drinking the broth and I did not become thirsty. So this stall has my support.

I am publishing this post early because dinner is my usual beef tendon soup which you have all seen a hundred times already hah...hah...hah...

14 comments:

  1. i suddenly have craving for bkt now......but must come with rice coz the broth is too flavorful to just drink alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually with rice is better lah hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. I bought pork rinds once. Forgot the brand but it was rather not my kind of snack. Lol.

    Bkt!! Long time didn't have that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first tried pork rinds I did not like it and it was because it had gone rancid. But I decided to give it another try and because this is fresh and I now know that it has to be refrigerated, it tasted good.

      Delete
  3. Which one is the big intestine? I'm assuming the one you showcased in your spoon since it has a wider circumference. I was confused coz they usually make the small intestine multi-layered, never the big intestine (at least I've not encountered yet). I prefer the small intestines and if it's multi-layered, even better. If the BKT broth is too herbal-ly, it would most probably be Klang-style BKT which I also don't quite like because of the strong herb flavour. Not into pork rind as a munchy too coz I find it doesn't have much flavour....other than just being airy and crispy, sometimes can taste the oil too. >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it must be the one that is multilayered because it appears bigger than the other one. You got it right, this Jia Bao is Klang style BKT. I used to be curious about Klang BKT because it seems like so famous, so now I know.

      Delete
  4. Bkt looks good especially the layered intestines. I was introduced to pork rinds by my friend who went to Thailand. Seems like it is a very popular snack there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the ones from Thailand before but they were not fresh, had to throw away >.<

      Delete
  5. I love those innards but I am cutting out red meat. Read conflicting reviews, some feel that pork is not red meat...and anyway, those innards are not meat. What do you think? Safe for me to eat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scientifically pork is classified as red meat since it has more myoglobin (that gives it red color) compared to say chicken which is pale. As far as innards is concerned, they are high in cholesterol. I have done my research and I am not worried about cholesterol. But if cholesterol is a concern for you and if you want to follow your doctor's orders, then sadly you may have to abstain.

      Delete
  6. Hmmm...hubby would love the big and small intestine. But I will go for the mix cut meat. Now I am craving for bkt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Sorry for tempting you hee..hee..

      Delete
  7. Some peoples just don't have the "common sense", haha!

    ReplyDelete