Monday 22 August 2022

30 Day Carnivore Challenge : Day #22

Today lunch was the same old boring air fryer steak from home. Cold steak is definitely not delicious but that will have to do. Better than me picking up stuff from the chap fan shop.

I went for my usual walkabout and discovered this new restaurant.


Padangs on Wheels. Eh, what is that?


Upon googling I found out that this restaurant specializes in Nasi Padang dishes. Wah! That should be interesting. This restaurant is right behind the OCBC Bank @ Damansara Utama.

Then at The Starling food court, I noted that the space next to Wishbone Fried Chicken had been taken up.


Jia Bao Bak Kut Teh. Let me show you the menu.


This is carnivore friendly (without rice).


Opps! The uncle spotted me hee..hee...cak!


Elsewhere at Restoran Wai Kei, they put up the specials menu and it looks pretty good.

So what's for dinner?


I cooked another batch of beef tendon soup last weekend and this container is straight out from the fridge.


The soup and content were all jelllified which means that there is plenty of collagen here. As you can see, I could have removed the layer of solidified fat but I did not.


I transferred the whole lot into my favorite Korean bowl. I know. It looks terrible.

Now let me show you my fresh batch of fried shallot in oil. Straight from the fridge.


I don't know if you can keep this at room temperature and to be on the safe side, I stored it in the fridge. I don't want to take the chance of the oil turning rancid.


Yup, it is solid and very hard. So I just left it to thaw while my soup was steaming.


Then 25 minutes later, my soup was ready.


It does not look appetizing at all but I know it is good.


The shallot oil softened and liquified some and I just scooped a generous spoonful and plonked it into the hot soup.


I also added some daun sup.


Ooooohhhh...la...la.... so good!


I love the tendon and this time I got it all nice and tender. I shall be having the same soup for dinner tomorrow.

14 comments:

  1. Your beef tendon soup is so delicious! Yes to cold steak. I have been eating cold food from my fridge every 2 days because what I buy as takeaway I couldn't finish on day 1 so have to eat the same food for day 2. Didn't bother to heat it up so just eat it cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some food I can take cold but steak, I need it warm hah..hah...

      Delete
  2. After adding the shallot oil and daun sup, your beef tendon soup looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it looked so much better with added color!

      Delete
  3. I love beef tendon. It does not come cheap though. I am supposed to stay away from red meat so I am not sure if that includes beef tendon and tripe as well or not since strictly speaking, they are not meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tendon should be all right. It is full of collagen. As for tripe, typically organ meats are high in cholesterol and if that is a concern for you, then you should avoid it.

      Delete
  4. Seeing your soup reminds me to start boiling some soup for myself tomorrow.... it has been two or three weeks since I last did that.... I love beef tendons more than the meat itself with lots of white radish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are like me! I also prefer the tendon more than the meat.

      Delete
  5. I thought the tendon soup has sufficient oil but you still added another scoop of shallot into it, I'm afraid this portion will be too cloying for me. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all right for me, maybe because I am used to it hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. Korean bowl and chinese spoon....very fusion! LOL....i m so off-topic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, fried shallots in oil can be kept at room temperature....I've kept it for 2 - 3 weeks (fried garlic in oil even longer). The only downside is, after about a week, the fried shallots will no longer be crispy. The oil will not taste rancid as long as you use fresh oil (as in oil straight out from the bottle) to fry the shallots. Only used and leftover oil (after deep-frying other stuff) will turn rancid. I was surprised to see you store your fried shallots in the fridge...when they solidify like that, they don't look very appetising (I believe they should also be no longer crispy?). >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I see! I shall then store my fried shallots in oil at room temperature. Aiks, I did not notice if the shallots were still crispy or not. I shall check and report back. LOL!

      Delete