Monday 27 April 2020

Covid-19 MCO : Day #41 (Today Eat Dumplings)


When I was growing up in Kuala Terengganu, I never appreciated dumplings (chang). Every year during the dumpling festival my late grandmother bought dumplings to enjoy.

There were three types - the regular ones with meat, the long cylindrical ones (with mung bean filling) and the alkaline ones (eaten with sugar or as I later learned can also be eaten with kaya). 

Of all the three, I was more partial towards the one with mung bean filling (I ate with sugar). The one I disliked the most was the alkaline dumpling. As for the regular meat dumpling, I was indifferent towards it.

I only started to appreciate meat dumplings after I ate the ones made by my auntie. Yes, my auntie who grows beautiful roses. Up till today, I still feel that her dumplings are the best, bar none.

Recently I learnt from Mun about dumplings sold at Golden Kim Wah, Damansara Kim. So I contacted the seller via whatsapp (Tracy :   0124929611) to place an order. I made payment via online transfer and arranged for my partner to collect the following morning (thank you lahling!).

In fact, on Sunday my partner had already bought me two dumplings from An Xin's Healthy Meat Shoppe hee..hee..


So now I can compare the meat dumplings from An Xin's and Golden Kim Wah and to finally taste Nonya dumplings which I have been searching for a long time.


In terms of size, they are comparable.


I have eaten An Xin's dumplings before and I thought they were pretty good. 


There is meat (with fat), chestnut, mushroom, black eyed peas and salted egg yolk inside. I still think they are good.


When I tasted Golden Kim Wah's salted egg dumpling, I thought it tasted slightly better than An Xin's. Taste is subjective, others may have a different opinion.

It also had meat (with fat), chestnut (very soft and creamy, I like), mushroom and black eyed peas in addition to a very scant amount of salted egg yolk. I don't know if  the rest of the salted egg dumplings have more salted egg yolk, maybe it so happened that this one had very little. 


As for the Nonya dumplings, I was a little disappointed because this was not the taste that I expected. I mean, it is tasty but just not like the Melaka Nonya dumpling that I ate many years ago. That one was stained blue with bunga telang with a lovely aroma of coriander powder and it was a bit more sweetish. 


Overall I am happy with my purchase of the Golden Kim Wah dumplings. 


I am saving the rest in the freezer to enjoy and share with my partner over the next few days. 


He has not tasted the dumplings yet but I can say with almost 100% certainty that he will say "Penang one better!" heh..heh...

By the way, besides dumplings, there are other goodies sold by this seller.


So that's my dumpling indulgence for the day, which happened to be my dinner.

So what was lunch?


A salad to balance out all the carbs I was going to have for dinner.


As I transferred the salad into a bowl, my cat was very excited.


I reckon she was attracted to the smell of the smoked duck.


So I gave her some.


And then when I was prepping the dumplings to be photographed, she went absolutely berserk, trying to climb on the chair and all. The smell is that good.

I knew that if I gave her the meat, she would want more. So I gave her a small bit of the glutinous rice, which she found unpalatable. Sorry Girl!

30 comments:

  1. I am very fond of bak chang and had eaten all that you have shared. That alkaline one is better known as Tee Chang (Sweet Chang) which is always tiny sized. I also stopped eating that when I was a teenager. I think Taiwan has the most variety of authentic Chang in sale, made differently according to the Chinese clans in China. There is a very famous shop in Kaohsiung that specialized in many flavours. Try it when you go there for honeymoon.

    My wife makes very delicious Nyonya Chang and gave all friends & relatives every year. They all loved it esp my sister who brought them to UK every year. Since the start of MCO she teased my wife in her FB that she had cravings to eat my wife's Nyonya Chang. Then all those familiar started joining wagon to ask her to make. This joke turned into serious topic with suggestions that she sell them online this year so that DHL could safely deliver to them all over Selangor, Perak and Singapore. The wet market has no pork right now and orders have started rolling. Lolol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always known the alkaline one as "kee chang", "kee" referring to the alkaline water, if I am not wrong.

      You must let me know once your wife's Nonya chang is ready for sale because I want to order! Or is she taking pre-orders now? I am serious!

      Delete
    2. I purposely drove to Kim Wah to buy their Nyonya Bak Chang. It tasted bluek to me. My wife makes the authentic ones with Bunga Telang plus spicy, sweet and sour added inside the fillings. I will post it on my on my blog when it's ready to roll out as we need to test the delivery of this frozen Chang first.

      Delete
  2. The last photo of Ah Girl is so photogenic! So she is actually a ginger cat breed from her colours. They are one of the best survivors and independent cats according to the books I read.

    Do you know what food is the best treat that cats love????



    Ice Creams!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Ice cream? Really? Let me test it on my cat. I need to buy ice cream first hah..hah...

      Delete
  3. Wah, thanks for the mention. Your partner is so nice to pick up the dumplings for you. I bought dumplings from another seller today and it was not as tasty as the ones I bought from Kim Wah but still ok. Thanks for doing a comparison. I have not eaten my nyonya chang from Kim Wah yet but my friend says it is sweet from the one I gave her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nonya chang is only slightly sweet but quite nice. I am looking for the one that comes close to the Melaka Nonya chang. I told my partner on his next trip to Penang he must look for Nonya chang and bring back for me. LOL!

      Delete
  4. I did not know that the seller sells so many other things or else I would have bought more items from her. I like her dumplings because it is not that salty when compared to others. I would have thought you would find her dumplings a bit on the wanting to be more flavourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sent me those photos. Next time I will buy bread, buns and kaya from her. I thought the seasoning of the salted egg dumplings is just right, not too salty.

      Delete
  5. Love the photo of Girl Girl with her mouth open for smoked duck. You did so well taking such a beautiful photo of her to show us. A real portrait of her, can put on the bed side table. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that you mentioned alkaline dumplings, I love those alkaline dumplings with red bean in them. Now let me go search and see if I can buy them and get them delivered to me. Wah, this stayathome time is going to be eat-this-and-that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not come across alkaline dumplings with read beans. Yeah, we are focusing so much on food hah..hah..

      Delete
    2. Eating n eating n eating. Whn you hungry you think of eat, when you bored you think of eat, even when you are sleeping you think of eat, lolx!

      Delete
    3. Libby : LOL! So true!

      Delete
  7. I didn't know there's a category of dumplings called salted egg dumpling. I'm of the impression all standard meat chung will have meat and salted eggs among others like mushroom & chestnut...wahahahaha! For it to be called salted egg chung, I'd expect a whole salted egg (not chopped bits of it) + it does not look like it's of a good quality (from the colour) either. I do like the look of the lean pork and that it's not too oily though. Must give you credit for your effort in putting up the chung for photography, so neatly cross-sectioned for us to see...hehe! ;)

    I like photos of Ah Girl with her mouth closed (especially the last one)...not the ones with her mouth open where she looks so aggressive showing her fangs! That last (clear) photo of Ah Girl looks as if she's got something in her ears (I see some red scratches & black spots)...like an infection. Has she been scratching her ears often lately? You may want to have that checked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally yes lah, standard ones have those fillings but then they also sell the dried oyster ones, so they call the standard one salted egg hah..hah... I think those with one whole salted egg yolk would cost more. If I remember correctly, one of the bak chang my partner bought from Penang had a whole salted egg. But the next time, he bought a cheaper one (typical kiam siap Penang people hahaha!!) that had so little and did not taste quite as good.

      I agree that Ah Girl looks better with mouth closed. Now that you mentioned it, I went to check her ears and the left one looked quite red. She does scratch sometimes. I'll have to apply something on it. Thanks for the alert!

      Delete
  8. I went out and bought dumplings too, blogpost on it coming soon...and char siew pao and sio bee and chicken pies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Char siew pao, sio bee and chicken pies too! YUMMMMM!!!

      Delete
  9. I love dumpling, both meat and Nyonya dumplings. Not easy to get good Nyonya dumplings in Ipoh. I am craving for meat dumplings but our favourite is not available during MCO. I too want your smoked duck salad. Your Girl has good taste. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still searching for a good Nonya dumpling. Yes, my Girl has good taste. LOL!

      Delete
  10. it has been ages since I last had dumpling.....this post made me crave for it! ah girl is so lucky to be able to 'sample' some of ur foods....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really kacau me during mealtimes. LOL!

      Delete
  11. Talking about nyonya chang, I still have two inside my freezer... ordered from Malacca and delivered via courier.. so serious, heh.. but worth ordering cos Michelle's nyonya chang is really nice! Younger days, I could eat 2-3 per day.. but now at my age, one dumpling can fill my tummy the whole day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, I did not know chang can be delivered via courier! Like that I also want to order hah..hah..

      Delete
  12. My comment disappeared. My favourite would be the meat dumpling. Kee chang is nice to eat with kaya but cannot eat too much. Not easy to find nice nyonya dumpling. Now you made me hv craving for dumpling. Must think of where i can get dumplings. Can get if the shop near my hse is still opened for business during this cb period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I checked in my spam but your comment wasn't there. Up till now I still don't really like kee chang.

      Delete
  13. Nyonya dumpling most probably the only dumpling I don't like due to the sweetness in the meat, which I foind rather weird =.="

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am OK with sweetness as some Terengganu dishes are sweet.

      Delete