Wednesday 22 April 2020

Covid-19 MCO : Day #36 (TNR)


It's so hot! Right? The air conditioner (AC) in my bedroom is in need of servicing. I just can't feel the cold air.

My partner had already cleaned the filter but it did not make much difference. My room faces the setting sun and in the afternoons it gets really toasty. Come evening, the heated concrete releases heat and upstairs feels like an oven!


I need the AC to be in good working order so that I can sleep comfortably. My partner on the other hand gets on just fine without the AC. He is very sensitive to cold. When the AC is on, he will be wrapped in the comforter all the way up to his neck. Sometimes he even wraps his head like an Eskimo.

When we were in LA some years ago, the temperature was 15C. I was wearing track pants with long sleeved t-shirt that I usually wear back home. I even saw some ang mohs just wearing shorts and short sleeved t-shirt. To me 15C is just like walking in an AC room.

My lahling however was all decked out in thermal wear, sweater and jacket. Without the additional clothing he would  be menggigil-gigil kesejukan. We are very different.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I did a minor redecorating in my living room. I find the room cosier but not my cat. She might be a little upset. The 2-seater and 3-seater sofas swapped places.


I wanted to get my cat off both sofas because she brings a lot of dirt to the cushions. I lined the 2-seater with this blue towel which I bought from Daiso. Somehow my cat refuses to have anything to do with that towel right from day one. So she won't sit on the sofa.


Then I lined the 3-seater with my brother's old bath towel. My cat also refused to get on the couch. Yay!

In fact I made a decision to sleep on this couch for the time being because the AC downstairs is very cold. Of course the couch couldn't fit the length of me, so I put my feet up on the armrest. Elevated legs is supposed to be good for circulation, no?


This armchair is for my cat. I put the 2 cushions she is familiar with so that she will find the armchair acceptable.


Sure enough, she did.


Ah...problem solved.


Her old rugs are on the floor.


But I find that she is a little unsettled perhaps disturbed by the change in environment. 

Today I tried something from TNR by Sean & Angie (formerly known as My Toast N Roast).


I wanted to try the char siew, siew yoke and chicken hence the greedy choice of Turbo Meal Combination. Then I saw the cripsy beancurd and got that too (to my regret).


The plastic bag is actually tied up, I forgot to snap a picture first.


I add on one extra chili dip and noted so many sauce containers in the box.


There is chili dip, char siew sauce and soya sauce.


The char siew was the best followed by the siew yoke. The rice was pretty fragrant too. The chicken? Well, in the company of char siew and siew yoke, chicken just simply pales. It did not make any impression, so I'll just stick to char siew and siew yoke next time. The char siew sauce deserves mention, it was superb. I should get extra in my next order.


The crispy beancurd was still a bit crispy but on the way to becoming soft when it reached me. This sort of thing does not travel well and is best eaten at the shop. 

On the whole, an enjoyable meal on account of the superb char siew. There will be a re-oder!


Err....


Errrr....


Errrrrr....

33 comments:

  1. Ah, krispy kreme? Did you get them via Grab? You got a dozen! I want, I want. So does Girl Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, via Grab. But not that nice lah because the donuts were not super fresh.

      Delete
  2. Good that you can get superb char siew now whenever you feel like eating it. Your house interior is so nice. I am worried to hear Girl Girl stayed over elsewhere for a night. Hmmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, she was at home last night. In fact for the last few nights I kept her in.

      Delete
    2. Good that you kept her in because she is lucky she is ok so far but there are a lot of danger out there for her, especially at night - dogs, other predators like snakes, then there are cars and then there are humans with ill intentions towards animals.

      Delete
  3. OMG!! Wah!! 12 donuts!! Tell me that you are having a tupperware party at home. You are not eating all these by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a party all by myself and ate all but one donut. Hah!

      Delete
  4. I think your cat is not fond of certain colours. Just like fighting bulls in Spain that chases the red cloths angrily..

    I was surprised that my tortoise hates yellow or pink buckets!! It would struggle to climb out instantly as if I tossed him into the Fire!!! It will stay calmly inside the blue or green coloured comtainers. So fussy!

    I was just telling my wife yesterday that many Chicken Rice hawkers in my vicinity sell very tough chicken meat unlike that Chicken Rice Shops or Ipoh Chicken Rice Restaurants. I suspect they coated their chicken with tenderizer before roasting or steaming while the hawkers are least bothered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I thought they can't really see colors. I am wrong! Blue and green are colors more suited for your tortoise as it is the color of plants/the sea (?).

      Delete
  5. Your partner is like my mom, afraid of cold, but i am opposite, the colder the better, hee hee hee. The armchair you set aside for your ah girl looks so classy and comfortable, your ah girl very good life. She is blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High 5! LOL! I am blessed to have my girl too. I love her so much!

      Delete
  6. I am like your partner, I prefer hot than cold whereas my spouse is like you, want cold cold. Why always like that? Haizzzz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have eaten at this eatery before and agree with you that the char siew is very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the MCO I would like to go there with my brother.

      Delete
  8. Oooo...siew yoke and char siew. Been thinking of going out to tapao and still haven't got round to doing it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanted to order again today but found out they were closed.

      Delete
  9. Hope you don't mind me commenting so many times because stay at home so banyak saliva. Thank you so much for so many photos of Girl Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry. Comment as many times as you like, I layan punya. LOL! You are welcome!

      Delete
  10. My bedroom air con too. Cleaned filter but not so cold. Maybe need to fill up some gas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now you know why I wrap my sofa cushions with a spread too...which someone sewed for me from the material I bought from Ikea meant to be made into curtains (the width of which, cut into half lengthwise, is a perfect fit for my sofa). That way we can wash the spread frequently without the more arduous task of washing the cushion covers). But my cat is not as fortunate as your Girl to claim her own sofa...haha! :D I think she likes the softness of the cushion (in the single seat sofa) to just a piece of towel. But I think it's just a matter of time before she eventually joins you on the 2 and 3-seater sofa coz they just like to sit close to us or close to where we sit.

    When you dine in at TNR, they give you that extra char siew sauce on the side too. On the issue of the soft beancurd skin, that can be easily fixed by re-toasting it in the oven toaster for a couple of minutes. It will puff and crisp up nicely....but watch it closely for the right timing as it can brown easily. I sometimes buy these from a yong tau foo stall earlier in the day and reheat for dinner at night and it works beautifully. Try it next time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I get it! I have some old bedsheets that I could use. Well, my Girl seems to have given up the two sofas. Although she did get on teh armchair and even managed to fall asleep there, she is not as fond of it as she was the sofa. Let's see how long it will take before she joins me on the sofa.

      Ah, thanks for the tip! That means I can order the beancurd skin again and toast it. After the MCO I must bring my brother to eat at TNR.

      Delete
  12. I can't sleep well if the air con is too cold. Cool would be just nice for me. The weather is hot these days. Whenever I cook in the kitchen, it feel like I am taking a sauna. I need a plumber because my kitchen tap is leaking. Have to wait for the MCO to be lifted. Cats also have their favourite place or colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I experience the same thing in the kitchen! Sweat would just pour down my face. LOL! It's difficult during MCO and we just have to hang on and make do.

      Delete
  13. Nowadays the charsiew is so different from my younger days.. gone are the red red stuff and now replaced with juicy sweet darker color charsiew! I cannot sleep without air con too unless I am shivering from fever.. aikkss... and lastly, I think your girl girl is pretty smart.. she can tell the difference or smell the difference! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the char siew from my younger days, maybe in KT we did not eat much of it. Now I know how to prevent her from sitting on certain places.

      Delete
  14. wah...that cutie cat look on ah girl...she wants a donut too?
    I want donuts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She smelled the donuts and she walked away. LOL!

      Delete
  15. You make me miss their Char Siu, my obligatory oder whenever I visit TNR, paired with the Hakka Noodles, just perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next order will be the Hakka Noodles hee..hee..

      Delete
  16. Worst nightmare during MCO - aircon breaking! Monica - The Yum List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right. But the ultimate nightmare would be the internet router breaking down. LOL!

      Delete