Saturday 11 April 2020

Covid-19 MCO : Day #25 (Fried Fish)


It's Saturday today. Is it? Nowadays I have to look at my phone to make sure that I got the day right hah..hah... This morning I read in the papers that an additional list of businesses are allowed to operate during the third phase of the MCO.

Among them is hair salons. That's great, right? Imagine being shaggy haired. Cooped up at home. Depressed. Badly needing a haircut.

I took a look at the standard operating procedure and some of it might be a bit hard to comply like no. 7 and no. 8.

I don't think I will be going out anytime soon for a haircut. I will just manage, shaggy haired and all.

Today I ate fish. I am not much of a fish fan but this MCO is making me want to eat different things. By the way, did you put on weight, ah? The first 2 weeks I actually lost weight.

I think it's because I ate home cooked where I can control the ingredients and the portion size. There were no temptations of side orders (hah..hah...) and no desserts to be had (too much work to prep desserts).

Also I move around more at home - gardening, housekeeping, going upstairs and downstairs, chasing my cat, etc. But after the 2 weeks with too much time on my hands and too much TV, I developed a case of itchy mouth and started craving for donuts. And it is so easy to get donuts. I just tekan-tekan my phone and 30 minutes later, donuts arrive. 


So. I am putting a stop to all this. Instead of ordering donuts, I ordered fish yesterday.


This is via Grabmart. Now I can get stuff from the TTDI market. I had no idea what ikan parang is like (but I know it is used to make keropok) and I chose that just because it was sold in slices. Regret. Because it had many, many fine bones.


Eeekss!!! Not easy to eat. As soon as I sat down to eat, my cat immediately came to me. So I gave her some fish but made sure to remove the bones.

This is my lunch today.


Fried eggs. Please don't judge. Thank you.


Fried fish, mangled beyond recognition. Again, please don't judge. Thank you.


Stir fried ladies fingers. This one looks decent.


And of course, kayciap with sliced shallots, chilies and a good squeeze of limau kasturi. Since kayciap is very sweet, the acidity of the limau kasturi balances it off very nicely. I enjoyed my lunch immensely!


Since according to TM MCO stands for Make Compost Overnight, I had a whole lot of materials to add to my compost pot.


More home cooking means more stuff to dump into the pot.


Then cover with soil.


This is my avocado seedling.

I promised my cat that I will not take photos of her. Nowadays, when I point my phone at her, she will look away. I fulfilled that promise today.

Actually I made that promise yesterday, but broke it when she presented herself like this :


And then like this :


She had another vomiting incident yesterday.


It looked like p**p. Yuks!


Then she coolly walked away, leaving Mommy to clean up the mess.


She also kacau me when I was having dinner in front of the telly. So I let her smell the unsuitable food. It worked heh..heh...

20 comments:

  1. The proverb says Curiousity Kills A Cat.... Mummy did the right thing to let Ah Girl smell something unsuitable to eat. Cats are cute like some dogs when they sleep on the floor at home.

    Thanks for mentioning my MCO and you actually inspired me. Your leftovers are plenty for a couple at eating at home.

    Now I just bought 2 biji of Avocado this evening for my wife. Can I just plant the seed for the plant to grow??? So easy??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I did not purposely plant the avocado. I threw it into my compost pot and it grew! So I salvaged the seedling and planted it in another pot. Somehow plants grow better when we just leave them alone without much fuss. Those that I fuss over, they die! LOL!

      Delete
  2. You're right, you don't put on weight because you cut down on the desserts...the sweets are usually the killers! ;) I hate ikan parang...this is the 'cheap' fish sold fried or steamed at mixed rice stalls. When I see it, I always ask the shop if it's the one with all the bones..and avoid it. 5 eggs for lunch? You need to buy a tray of eggs instead of a box. I see your attempt at frying fish left the fish skinless...haha! :D Did you use a deep pan? Any splattering?

    I'm with you on this. We just can't help but take photos of our cats when they present themselves in such a cute manner. That photo of her walking away...she really looks like she's pregnant...kekeke! ;D Hey, I didn't realise she has a white patch on her behind. Cats tend to puke more when they eat dry food as it's more difficult to digest...so, get ready for more of such episodes. P/S: I'm also glad that hair salons are allowed to be open (I think they were an essential service to begin with), otherwise we'd all be looking like shaggy dogs (it's a nuisance and very uncomfortable when the fringes cover the eyes)! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesson learnt! No more ikan parang. Haiz.. I am hopeless with fish hah..hah... I used my wok and it sticks to the bottom of the pan. I was a bit violent when trying to turn the fish over. There was not as much splattering because I dried the fish with kitchen towels. I think you were the one who mentioned this method.

      Yes, she looks pregnant and like before I kept suspecting. That white patch is actually the tip of her tail wahahaha!! I gave myself a haircut yesterday - just the fringe.

      Delete
  3. I think i will lose weight during this circuit breaker period as dabao food not as nice as eat on the spot so i tend to eat lesser. That day i dabao cream sauce spaghetti and it becomes soggy when it is time for me to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some foods are not suitable to eat later. I combine cooking and online orders. I hope to lose some weight hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. Good that salons are allowed to open but how many people dare to go and have their hair cut. I initially plan to bring my boys for hair cut but the daddy said no. Let them be. So, if hair is long and can tie, I will tie up their hair. Lol.

    I love fishes so I encourage my kids to eat fish. Of course not those with many bones. This morning I went to market and boughylt a black pomfret and a mackerel. RM40 for both but both is big size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! SOme hair salon might choose not to open because have to apply to MITI, wait for approval and so many conditions to comply.

      Delete
  5. You ate all the 5 or more fried eggs for lunch? So nice your grabmart includes the fish mongers at ttdi. so generous of you to share your fish with girl girl. must take photos of her to share with us. Did you see any hair balls in her vomit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! LOL! Kept some for dinner. There might be hairballs in the vomit.

      Delete
  6. I cut my hair myself for a few years already. Quite risky to go cut hair cos how to social distancing? very long scissors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I can only cut the fringe. I won't be able to get the back and sides even.

      Delete
  7. Never tried kayciap, will do that one of these days. I just managed to buy some calamansi lime. Oopsss!!! Too late! The moment I caught sight of the eggs, I was already frowning! No worries! My fried fish always looks as bad as yours. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i thought i wouldn't mind having longer-than-usual hair, but it's starting to get sticky and scratchy, so for sheer comfort, i hope i can get a haircut soon, heheh ;) ooo, i actually don't mind ikan parang - it's one of the fishes my grandmother used to cook a lot when i was younger, so i'm used to the bones, and i do like how it's quite a fleshy and fairly moist fish ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave myself a haircut - just the fringe as it was getting into my eyes! Yes, iakan parang is fleshy and moist, actually good except for the bones. And because of that, I would avoid it like the plague. LOL!

      Delete
  9. I too lost weight the 1st 2 weeks MCO but regained back whatever was lost. I started eating lunch which I normally skip. I like how your cat stretched herself, I will not be able to resist giving her a tummy rub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! LOL! My cat used to get annoyed when I touched her tummy but she is ok with it now.

      Delete
  10. I passed by that donut shop and wanted to get some after reading your blog, but you know what, there were only plain sugar glazed donuts ~>_<~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually prefer plain donuts. The glazed ones are far too sweet.

      Delete