Tuesday 28 April 2020

Covid-19 MCO : Day #42 (Penang Frozen Bak Chang for Lunch)


That's right. I found not one but two frozen bak chang from Penang in my freezer. It was from my partner's trip to his hometown.

I asked him to buy a few for me so that I can put in the freezer and enjoy as and when I wanted. This batch unfortunately is not as good as an earlier batch that he bought. The earlier one was more expensive by RM1.00 or RM1.50 and I remember it as being very good.

But you know lah. This Penang people they want things on the cheap (pang gi) unlike this Terengganu people who is willing to pay a bit more for quality. Correct or not? My late grandmother's philosophy of quality over quantity has rubbed off on me.

So when he asked me if An Xin's bak chang is any good, I told him it is better than the Penang one hah..hah...


I don't know how long the Penang bak chang has been in the freezer. But it hasn't fossilized yet. Can still eat.


It is lighter in color compared to An Xin's


You must not freeze your bak chang for too long because the smell of the bamboo leaf wrapper becomes quiet strong and will impair the aroma/taste of the dumpling.

Texture wise, everything is as it should be because the bak chang is well insulated by the wrapper and plastic bag that I placed it in.


All the standard ingredients are in there. Yup, tiny bit of salted egg yolk only. Taste wise, this one is not great (not due to the freezing but the seasoning and quality of ingredients) just as I remembered.


The An Xin bak chang appeared to contain better portion of salted egg yolk and tasted far superior. So I ate the Penang bak chang first and then An Xin's. Save the best for last. 

Eh, what's that you asked me? Yes, yes, I ate two bak chang in one sitting. In fact last night I had two bak chang and one nonya chang in one sitting for dinner. 

Once the MCO is lifted and when my partner goes back to Penang, I will insist that he buy the better quality bak chang for me. I give you the money lahlahling


Dinner today is also high in carbs. Lunch carbs, dinner carbs. Haiz.... MCO = Makan Carbs Only kah?

I ordered the Buddha Bowl from La Juicieria Superfoods. It is vegetarian and does not look very exciting. It's made up of turmeric rice, sauteed mushrooms, roasted vegetables, tofu and tortilla chips. There is a Thai Coconut Curry Sauce that comes with it.

Surprisingly it was very good, mainly due to the very tasty sauce. The roasted vegetables could have been more tender. I would order this Buddha Bowl again with extra curry sauce.


Today in the name of clearing the fridge/pantry items, I made cookie dough.


Got customer waiting.


You want cookie or you want leng chai (or is it leng mau) Cookie


This morning it rained and fatty was in a sleepy mood.


It's nice to sleep when it is raining. Can sleep the whole day.


What a nice life my cat has. Eat, sleep, go to toilet and repeat.


This afternoon I found her having a nice snooze in the spare room that I just tidied up yesterday. Haiz...

31 comments:

  1. The rice in the Penang one looks like kueh/cake. Ok, show off! I bought my supply already, ONE DOZEN...so I can eat and enjoy anytime I want. Tak nak kalah! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah, your "MCO = Makan Carbs Only" can match TM's "MCO = Make Compost Overnight".
    I like all the ingredients in your Buddha Bowl, especially the pumpkin but not so much rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you let Girl Girl taste your cookie dough? Must be very fragrant until you got her attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't hah..hah.. she might get stomachache.

      Delete
  4. So for how long has the frozen Penang Bak Chang been in your fridge? Wah, you can eat 3 bak changs in one sitting! Very Keng! Lucky you remember your frozen Penang Bak Chang and took it out to eat. Is there one left or your partner ate the other frozen Penang Bak Chang since you mentioned that there are two of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know. LOL! I won't give it to him because it is frozen for too long.

      Delete
  5. Yes, must insist that he buys the better quality Penang bak chang for you because just a bit more but get better quality is worth it. Does he read your posts here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He used to read but I don't think he has the time. LOL!

      Delete
  6. Poor me, I am craving for bak chang. Once MCO is lifted, will eat to my satisfaction. Lol! Your Leng Mau so enjoy life staying with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Sorry to tempt you! I hope my cat is happy :)

      Delete
  7. My personal preference is a bak chang that's not cooked in dark soy...so I might like the Penang bak chang but the ingredients of An Xin's bak chang certainly looks much better. Yes, when it's raining, can sleep all day...and that includes us...heehee! ;) Is that round tube for Girl to sleep in? Got customer waiting? Since when this customer of yours eat cookies! :O

    Cookie: Don't eat me, please! Let's get together instead since I'm "leng chai" and you're "leng lui"....but I think cannot-lah...since you're an Uptown Girl (I cannot afford your high maintenance)! Wakakakakaka! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That round tube hah..hah.. is for people with backside problem (eg operation) to sit on. My brother gave it to me and I obviously am using it for other purpose.

      Ah Girl to Cookie : I will be your mui-mui lah. I am low maintenance like my Mommy :)

      Delete
  8. Ur lahling so nice to buy bakchang all the way frm Penang. Can try bakchang frm other state so it's not so bad despite a cheap one. I felt sleepy too when raining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No chance to try from other states LOL!

      Delete
  9. penang folks have told me that it's not that they want things necessarily cheap, but they want things to be definitely value for money. interpretations, i guess, heheh :D now i have a craving for chang too. and am also feeling sleepy like the cat this morning because the weather feels rain-cooled and makes it nicer to sleep in :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah..the Penang people they are making excuses for themselves hahahha!! Value for money I agree but sometimes you have to pay for quality which I am sure you agree. My cat slept the whole afternoon today - on my bed >.<

      Delete
  10. I like bak chang but cant eat too much. Gastric or stomach discomfort later. Sometime ok, sometime not ok. Depends on my tummy can adapt to the glutinous rice or not on that particular day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rice is hard to digest and can cause bloating. Luckily I was OK.

      Delete
  11. Actually I cant eat 2 Bak Zhang in one go too :P Those bigger size one LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bizde bunun yerine yaprak sarması var. Üzüm yaprakları sarılır.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evet, bir gün denemek için bir dhope okudum.

      Delete
  13. Honestly, lots of food esp the hawker food like CKT, Chee Cheong Fun and Assam Laksa are very good in Penang. I never felt that Penang has the best Bak Chang or BKT compared to KL. Perhaps you got better luck than me as I have almost lost touch with my hometown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally, I love the food in Penang. It depends where you buy the bak chang or any other food. SOme are good and some not that great.

      Delete
  14. Does your leng mau go to sleep on the same bed with you at night? My sister's 2 cats do that!!! One sleeps at her feet and the other under the same blanket. Eeeeww!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't allow her to do that. I geli to sleep with her! Wah, your sister is so good she can sleep with both her cats!

      Delete
  15. I think the bah chang festival is coming soon? Normally around May if not mistaken. I like the ones sold in Jalan Cintra but they have shifted somewhere else, I think Jalan Datuk Kramat, their pillow case bah chang is very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you have delicious bak chang in Ipoh. Now we can get bak chang all year round!

      Delete