Wednesday 29 April 2020

Covid-19 MCO : Day #43 (I Watch Too Much Netflix)


On day #41 and day #42 I ate A LOT of CARBS. So today I am doing penance - chicken soup! But I got confused.

I confused tapioca leaves (daun ubi kayu) with sweet potato leaves (daun ubi keledak). What I usually eat at the restaurant is sweet potato leaves which my partner and I love. 

What was available at the TTDI market was daun ubi kayu (tapioca leaves) which I bought thinking that I was buying sweet potato leaves. Well, when I received my order, I was like errrrrr....


Apa tuuuu??? Kesilapan teknik. So I did some googling and I found some nice recipes using tapioca leaves and I realized that I have eaten this before at chap fan stalls. Since I already bought these, I used some in my chicken soup. 


The leaves are tough so I scrunched them up before boiling in the soup. They turned out quite delicious. I'll do something else with the rest tomorrow.

This is my family favorite condiment to take with soup or noodles. Sliced chilies, chopped garlic with light soya sauce and vinegar and a little bit of sugar.



So. Have you been watching a lot of TV? I haven't watched so much TV in my life, probably clocked up more hours than during my childhood and young adulthood combined hah..hah..

My grandparents were quite strict when it came to bedtime on school days, so there was not much TV during the week except the weekends. When I lived with my parents, my mum was even more strict. Even weekends, TV time was much restricted.

Ultraman - My favorite TV show when I was in primary school
When I went to matriculation and university, I gave up TV altogether. At the university hostel, there were 3 TV rooms (one each for RTM1, RTM2 and TV3) and you had to share space with other students.

You know what shows were the most popular? The Hong Kong serials and my Malay sisters loved Chow Yun Fat. Me, no thank you. I don't understand Cantonese/Mandarin and therefore those Chinese serials did not attract me.

Generally speaking I don't watch TV series in languages I don't understand but when Narcos came along, I changed my mind. Most of the dialogue is Colombian and I did not mind one bit.


Narcos was so intriguing and addictive that I binged watched right up to the last season.


Besides, one of my heart throb favorite actor, Pedro Pascal, is in it. And then I discovered another heart throb nice looking fella, Alberto Ammann who plays Pacho Herrera


Sorry, I digress.

So far I have also watched the following :

1. The Stranger


It's a British thriller. Not bad.

2. Broadchurch


A British series. This one is crime and investigation. Quite compelling.

3. Line of Duty


Also a British series on police anti-corruption investigation. I loved this series especially season 4 (with Thandie Newton) but unfortunately this series has been taken off Netflix recently and I did not get to watch season 5.

4. The Innocence Files


This one is a documentary on wrongful convictions and how The Innocence Project helped to secure the release of 9 individuals who were wrongly convicted due to unreliable forensic evidence and dubious eye witness identification. 

5. Pandemic


Ah! Something close to what we are experiencing right now. This documentary was made before the current Covid-19 pandemic and seemed rather prophetic in predicting the next global outbreak.

6. Safe


I am currently trying to watch Safe but I find it very hard to accept Michael C. Hall speaking with a British accent because I have always known him as Dexter.

But I discovered a very cool theme song which I like a lot.


Well, you would have noticed that I am into crime and investigation and Latino men.  

Today I will give my cat a break but you will see her tomorrow. Bye!

30 comments:

  1. aiks….today ah girl is not on 'air' in this blog....I miss her!!! wah, u really watched a lot these days...lolx! u reminded me back in those days in the Uni hostel where we only have one miserable TV per block. At 6pm sharp, there would be a crowd (of any race, even the Malays & Bumiputra) standing/sitting on the floor/benches to watch the TVB series. I joined the crowd for fun too...It ended at 7pm and I headed back to my room for dinner and shower. Quite routine but fun coz I gotta meet my our hostel mates there and enjoyed watching TV together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the good old days. I was quite amused that the Malays girls were addicted to HK TV shows :)

      Delete
  2. Tapioca leaves have to be pounded for cooking - best the ethnic way, fried or soup, dunno any other way of eating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so tough! But quite good though they have to be softened. I want to try cooking masak lemak with it next!

      Delete
  3. I dont take tapioca leaves. Sweet potato leaves, yes. I like it. Bought a bunch last week. Just stir fried with anchovies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite tough, I prefer sweet potato leaves.

      Delete
  4. Ah, you are watching so many shows. Did you watch Bodyguard on Netflix? It is a British mini series. I think you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I will watch once I finish Breaking Bad. LOL!

      Delete
  5. Ah, today I order delivery chicken soup and rice too. Ubi kayu leaves, that day I asked Nancy if she eats her pucuk ubi kayu because I believe only the young leaves can be eaten. I have eaten them too in soup in stalls outside. Are your ubi kayu leaves young leaves or tough ones cos they look a bit too green in the photo so maybe is tough ones but I am sure ppl won't sell old leaves, just sell young leaves, right? sell only the pucuk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were tough, I don't know how they are sold (only young leaves?) as this is my first time buying. But with longer boiling, the become softer, so can eat.

      Delete
  6. I want to laugh at you for buying Tapioca Leaves! I thought the villagers fed them to their kambing! Hmmn.. I will try to find this at the wet market and cook it. Never try, never know.

    You really watched so many movies which I had no seen even one! I am in between several Korean and China drama series. A Singaporean friend told me that she received reliable news from her boss that our MCO will extend till mid June. I will watch all your shortlisted movies. Have you watched the best movie "Parasite"???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I watched Parasite and I can understand why it won the Academy Award for Best Picture!

      Delete
  7. Ok, ok, understand you wanna take a break from posting Girl Girl's photos, not that we need a break from looking at cute Girl Girl. She got many fans here. Looking forward to seeing her tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Thanks for your comment that two people from same household can go out now. My friend told me also. Now I have to decide where to go within 10 km of my place to go groceries shopping together, hehehehe. So you will be going to Aeon, One Utama like you say on Sunday. Hope there would not be too many people there then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There might be more people, two instead of one! LOL!

      Delete
  9. I'm not sure if I've ever eaten tapioca leaves before. I've not seen anyone have soup with your favourite condiments (noodles, yes..but not soup)! :O

    Omg, you've been watching a lot of tv, haven't you (you might want to check on a typo error on this)? You've binged watched entire tv series! O_o So I see you 'love' Pedro Pascal. I like him too the moment I was first introduced to him in The Great Wall and I think he stole the show in Kingsman II (he was so cool with his whip). So I see Ah Girl finally got a 'rest day' since the MCO started (you're such a terrible 'boss'...haha)! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my golden (once in a lifetime, hopefully) opportunity to watch TV as much as I like hah..hah... Thanks for pointing out the type :) Ah Girl is back to work today hee..hee...

      Delete
  10. My Malay colleagues love tapioca leaves with sambal belacan. I have tapioca plants in my garden. If I run out of green vegetables, I will pluck some to make soup. I only started to watch TV during MCO just to pass time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a garden of abundance! I hope I don't become a TV addict after this. LOL!

      Delete
  11. Enjoy good time, cooking and watching TV :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The leaves look dark green, probably pucuk tua & they tend to be tougher. You can try to scrunch them with coarse salt to make it less tough & palatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tua and so tough! I will try the method you suggested. Thanks :)

      Delete
  13. Of all the movies mentioned above, only Line of Duty I have watched.. last year in Aberdeen, my son and I were glued to the series every evening, I forgot what the last season was.. I have copied down the series you showed above.. Like you, I seldom watch those language which I don't really understand, that is why I seldom watch Korean shows except for Crazy Landing and Kingdom.. but now I am also watching Money Heist, heard good reviews...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Line of Duty was so good, right? LOL! OK, I have marked Money Heist for future viewing hee..hee..

      Delete
  14. If I watch too much netflix I think I'll turn into a zombie. Haa haa..I am also eating a lot of carbs, so I decided to walk out everyday to buy food. It takes me twenty minutes each trip, at least I get some exercise & sunshine besides doing some gardening and falling half asleep learning a new language online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's great that you get your exercise by walking to buy food. I have tidied up my garden and now I want to complete some housekeeping. It is very therapeutic.

      Delete
  15. I had eaten tapioca leaves before but not sure about sweet potato leaves. I am more into those korean drama, tvb serious, taiwanese idol drama, china series, not really into those ang moh western series, yes western movies i had watched before, at the cinemas.

    Miss your ah girl photos leh, i am one of her fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being Ah Girl's fan hee..hee... You can appreciate Chinese series better as you understand the language. I should try to watch Korean series. Maybe I will also get addicted. LOL!

      Delete