Wednesday 13 December 2023

That Sarawak Laksa Place in Damansara Jaya

Today's post is about my experience with Sarawak Laksa at a restaurant that supposedly specializes in Sarawak cuisine.

Now, I am no expert in Sarawak food though I have eaten Sarawak Laksa here and even cooked it at home. Those two that I tasted were pretty (or even more than) decent.

As with my usual style, if my opinion of the food is unfavorable, I will not write the name of the restaurant. But of course you will see it from my photos.


On my way back to the office today, I decided to try this restaurant since I always pass by and I see that they have many customers.

I stood outside for a while to check the menu.


I saw them promoting this Nasi Kari Banjir Sarawak


Then I saw Sarawak Tomato Mee and Sarawak Laksa.


Sarawak Style Mee Goreng and Sarawak Kuey Chap.


Sarawak Kolo Mee.


And something called "Kiaw" which I figured out was dumplings like wanton dumplings.


Strangely I did not find kampua mee on the menu.


It was lunch hour but I managed to get a seat.


There are people who clearly enjoy the food here.


I put in an order for the Sarawak Laksa Special (RM18.00). The difference between the "normal" and "special" is that the special has added ingredients - Cha Siew, Pataya Egg and Fried Kiaw (in addition to the regular toppings of prawn, shredded chicken, omelette strips and beansprouts).


When my order was served, it looked so beautiful (love that bowl!). 


My first thought was, they are so generous with the limes, there were three in my bowl.


This sambal was served along with the Sarawak Laksa.


I tasted the laksa broth first. I did not register anything. It was very diluted and mild. None of the spice aroma that I remembered from the past. In other words, it was flat. Oh dear.


Yes, I had it with kueh teow which did not look like regular kueh teow (maybe it was the kueh chap noodles?).

The shredded chicken was so dry and the char siew did not taste like regular char siew. The Pataya egg was just basically an omelette. The prawns were ok and the fried kiaw was not too bad.

Saying that I was disappointed is an understatement. Haiz!


I was not able to finish my meal. I guess after this experience, I won't be back. But no regrets, never try, never know.

I was so heartbroken that I went to drown my sorrows (I was actually hungry) at Yit Cha Kaw Kaw Kopitiam ...


... where my wounded wallet heart (so drama this auntie) was soothed by the Bursting Kaya Puff and Salted Egg Yolk Puff


All washed down with an uplifting Kopi C Ais Kosong.


Meal budget blown notwithstanding, in the end I was appeased and tomorrow is another day.

12 comments:

  1. It does not even look like Sarawak laksa. Well, it's the same here too - so many places selling but no, they do not make the grade. Nothing like the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, so sad. I was hoping that it was good so that I have a place to go to my my Sarawak Laksa fix.

      Delete
  2. It does look very nice. Hahahaha, maybe one day I can get to try it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally can understand your sorrow because I felt angry and disappointed when the food wasn't good which really wasted my carbo quota. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. wasted carb quota! Very true and wasted money too.

      Delete
  4. Nasi Kari banjir!! How I miss that.

    It doesn't look like a Sarawak laksa at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there is such a thing as Nasi Kari Banjir. I thought they made it up LOL!

      Delete
  5. Actually, it does look like a Sarawak laksa (don't know about the taste though) except for the weird kway teow used. The char siew used for noodles like kolo mee, kampua mee & Sarawak laksa is usually like this...more pinkish and not caramelised like KL char siew (most people here can't accept that). P/S: Wah, that kaya puff (photographed) is true to its name....the kaya is bursting out...lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well. Maybe it is not to our taste. My brother has been to East Malaysia and he said that the food they raved about tasted just ordinary to him. That Kaya Puff made my day LOL!

      Delete
    2. He probably did not go to the right places. Tell him to come to Sibu and I'll take him around for the best in town. He'll be singing a totally different tune when he goes back!

      Delete
    3. Perhaps! It is always best to go with someone who is familiar with the places that serve good food such as yourself!

      Delete