Wednesday 27 December 2023

Crunchy Fishy Snacks

Do you like snacks? No need to ask lah, right? Most people like love snacks.

Well, I am or rather, was one of them. I used to binge eat things like Doritos, Ngaku Chips (during Chinese New Year obviously), nuts, kerepek pisang and all manner of crunchy savory stuff.

After I changed my way of eating and abstained from snacks, I did not crave for them. I have not eaten any snacky stuff for a long time until (very) recently.

My (naughty) brother introduced me to these two ikan bilis (anchovy) snacks that he purchased via Lazada.


Ikan Bilis Goreng Original. Note the "manis ranggup" (sweet and crispy) and "makan tak berhenti" (eat non-stop). So there is a warning hah...hah....


Another variation is the Ikan Bilis Goreng Tomyam.

How could I resist crispy ikan bilis? Right or not? So I had to buy.


This is the original. It contains just the sweet and crunchy ikan bilis.


Oh my! Memang makan tak berhenti! (Really can't stop eating!). Then I had to try the other one.


The tomyam flavor. Look how pretty the dried chilies and kaffir lime leaves look.


There were also peanuts in the mix. But I did not detect tomyam flavor. The ikan bilis tasted sweet (not as sweet as the original) and it was a bit spicy hot.


Obviously I didn't eat the dried chilies (don't ask for trouble!). I tried the kaffir lime leaves but they were not crispy enough and became fibrous when chewed. So it was not edible.

I was quite well behaved and stuck to just one (small) bowl each (that was on Christmas eve). Then come Christmas evening, all hell broke loose. I couldn't stop eating the crispy, crunchy, savory (evil) ikan bilis (in spite of having eaten a big meaty and eggy dinner).

So I had to do something.


I brought the remainder to my brother's house for him to share with mum. I am hopeless and cannot moderate my intake of addictive snacks. So I am not a moderator, instead I am an abstainer, meaning I have to abstain. This is like a drug to me.


Then I noticed my brother's stash of snacky snacks. Wah! Another thing that I cannot moderate are nuts. I can eat and eat and eat. Haiz!


If you want to buy these ikan bilis snacks, make sure you can control yourself or you have people to share it with. Or else, better don't play play hah..hah..hah...

14 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, I am also one who has to abstain cos when I get started, I can't stop until I am too full till cannot go in anymore. Thank you for the review. Can buy this ikan bilis if want to make nasi lemak. I think if I eat them, I will get cuts inside my mouth cos they are too crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my brother said too, eat with nasi lemak!

      Delete
  2. I like snacking but depends on mood and type of snack. Crispy ikan bilis, I like too. And Cny is coming soon, time to hunt for snack. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, there will be lots of snack during CNY LOL!

      Delete
  3. this ikan bilis snack would be my favorite! nice to go with nasi goreng kampung! yummmzzz!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, sure terangkat if eat with nasi goreng kampung!

      Delete
  4. I love these but I like cuttlefish more, just that they're too expensive so I don't buy anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These snacks can be pricey and perhaps it's a good deterrent for us not to indulge.

      Delete
  5. Aha! What a coincidence that I bought the same ikan bilis snacks. I regretted because it was too big packet and I had to watch my health diet. Right now I prefer sea salt potato chips from UK. Their potato quality is thick and makes me thirsty in order to drink more water. 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Now I am thinking of UK sea salt potato chips. Help! LOL!

      Delete
  6. I can't resist snacks, your crunchy Ikan Bilis really tempted me but the price put me off. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find ready-made ikan bilis snacks a bit too hard (usually) and they come with quite a bit of sugar too (very visible especially on the kaffir lime leaves). For crunchy ikan bilis snacks, I prefer to fry my own ikan bilis (in the microwave) since I know they'll be super crispy because of the quality (and I can use them to add-on to the nasi lemak I bought)....hehe! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to think of it, yes, they were on the hard side but I was ok with that. I must make my own then, but I am so lazy!

      Delete