Friday 22 December 2023

Cooling Desserts @ Sik Thong Ba, Damansara Utama

Ah! I am naughty again! Well, it was very hot and I was sweating buckets walking back from Damansara Jaya.

What do we need on such sweltering days? Something cool and soothing, yes? So I headed to Sik Thong Ba @ Damansara Utama at the risk of yet again losing my carnivore card. Tsk!


I wasn't sure what the ordering system was like, so I walked up to the counter to place my order.


When I sat down, that was when I realized that they use QR code ordering.


So I scanned the code just to browse through the menu. Apparently they also serve poke bowls.


Within a short while my dessert was served.


This was the Taroball, Riceball, Pearl, Peachgum Taufufah (RM16.40).


The taufufah was warm while the other ingredients were cold. This dessert was served with black sugar syrup.


I had a taste of the dessert first and found it unsweetened and I poured about one spoonful of the syrup. It made the dessert a little bit sweet, just barely, the way that I like it.


I found this dessert a tad underwhelming but that's not saying that it wasn't good. Just not that exciting.

And then another day, it was also hot, and that's a good excuse to return for something else.


What's this you ask? Mango Sago Supreme (RM13.10) from this menu.


Now this is what I call dessert and it got me much more excited than the taufufah did.


It had ripe mango cubes and the sago was mixed in with real mango puree. There was no artificial taste and the dessert was not too sweet, just nice. To top it off you get a scoop of mango ice cream. 


Underneath there were fine shaved ice that made my teeth go ouch! ouch! ouch! I have sensitive teeth hee..hee..

This dessert made me want to come back for the Durian Sago Supreme but I was distracted by another dessert.


Guess what I had?


The Bubur Cha Cha (RM9.79).

It's cheaper than the Durian Sago Supreme (obviously).


This dessert is served warm and you will find large chunks of sweet potatoes and sago. Yes, I enjoyed this Bubur Cha Cha although I will be honest to say that it is not the best bubur cha cha that I have tasted.


It could use more santan to give it that lemak-ness and more pandan fragrance. 


One thing that I appreciate about their desserts is that the level of sweet is on the kurang manis (less sweet) side which I (and I believe most people) prefer. So the sweet(er) tooth among you may have to request for extra syrup.

So that was my dessert adventure at Sik Thong Ba. I hope they do well. I always feel sad when I see restaurants come and then go (except for the bad ones of course).

12 comments:

  1. That looks good but I shall have to watch my blood sugar May have to go for sugar free or ask for gula Melaka. That, I hear, is a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best to avoid these deserts. I am not showing a good example LOL!

      Delete
  2. 😂😂 This post is interesting to start off with different desserts and finally my favourite Bubur Cha Cha. Less sweet is the best with separate sugar for you to pour. I will visit soon for sure to try the poke bowls too.


    The rentals in that area is very high and the operators need to stay focused. Many failed due to auto-piloting business style after a good start. This dessert shop has poor interior ambiance from the look of the chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Once the business start to jalan, the bosses leave everything to the staff and that's when things start to go wrong. The interior is very basic, I think they don't want to invest too much.

      Delete
  3. Love all the desserts you had, taufoofah is top of my list... cooling down body system, I heard. Hope this shop will last long long....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desserts look very attractive on the menu and I am glad they don't put too much sugar.

      Delete
  4. Ah, your review of Mango Sago Supreme is extremely tempting. I am now very tempted to try it as the rice is good, not too high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desserts are pleasantly sweet, just the right level for me. I think you will like the Mango Sago Supreme.

      Delete
  5. OMG, I can't believe you tried three types of dessert in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, you fell off your carnivore bandwagon....not once....but three times...lol! I'm surprised to find out that the individual items (in your first dessert) aren't sweet on their own and that you needed the sugar syrup to sweeten it coz the name of the restaurant "sik thong ba" sounds something like "eat (sik) sugar (thong) ba (lah)....lolol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell off many times hah..hah... Oh that's what the name means, oh dear, eat sugar LOL! But to my delight, they don't add a lot of sugar to their desserts.

      Delete