Why not I go to Gepuklah early (just before 10:00am) and get in the queue. There might be, what, maybe 20 people ahead of me?
Or I could show up 9:00am (bonkers) and be first in line but that would be incredibly ridiculous.
Well, this was the queue when I got there. It might look benign in the photo but there were more than 20 people ahead of me.
Then I saw a group of scouts. When I was in school, I hated extracurricular activities. So I never joined any.
At 10:15 am the roller shutter opened and at 10:30am a young man with a hand held device came to the queue to take orders.
When it came to my turn, he asked for my name and how many in my party. Then he printed a chit with my name and queue number with a QR code to place my order.
Once you have secured a number, you can leave the queue but do stick around to ensure that you don't miss your turn when you are called.
Hmm...not bad I thought. At 11:00am the doors opened and the young man called out names and customers were led inside to their tables. The first batch of people got in and they were served promptly (thanks to the pre-orders while queueing).
I waited and waited while the queue kept growing longer and longer. Since I had nothing to do, I observed the diners.
In such a situation where there is a long wait, I would appreciate if diners could eat at a comfortable pace and yet be aware that there are others waiting, and it would be a considerate thing to vacate your table as soon as you are done. This is not the time to linger.
There was a lone diner who was taking his own sweet time, chatting on the phone the whole time and not focused on his food. In fact he was still there when I left.
How fast you get in depends on the availability of tables appropriate for the number of people in your party.
Finally at 12:00 pm my name was called.
I was placed at a two seater facing the glass window (right across from the guy who was taking his own sweet time).
My order.
Look. This was what I queued up for (2 hours - one hour before the restaurant opened and another hour to be seated).
So ordinary and plain looking.
Deep fried chicken, sunny side up egg, nasi lemak, a piece of tofu, chili & cashew nut sambal, deep fried bayam (spinach) and a few slices of cucumbers.
It does not look as sexy as the one on Instagram hah...hah...
I requested for extra sambal. The portion was generous. It was spicy and creamy. If I did not know that the sambal was made with cashew nuts, I would not be able to tell.
The rice was good (portion is small and you can ask for more), although it was nasi lemak, it wasn't too lemak, it was more like plain rice, each grain easily separated. I like it.
The chicken was also commendable, crispy on the outside and juicy inside though I was not able to appreciate the seasoning.
As for the crispy bayam it was nice but there was just too little of it.
The star of the show for me was the Ham Leng Chat. It was very refreshing, a good balance of sweet, sour and slightly salty. I love this drink!
So what is my conclusion? Well, if you die die must try Gepuklah, then by all means, join the queue if you have the time and inclination.
Otherwise, just wait for the hype to die down or at least for the line to get shorter. It may take a while but this shop is not going anywhere anytime soon.
You (and me) would enjoy the ayam gepuk a lot more without the crowd (and the long wait).
From my experience, yes, I would say that the ayam gepuk was good, I was not disappointed. The queue was well managed as it was smooth and not chaotic as one might expect.
Lets see how long this hype will last and when it does, I will come back for another round of ayam gepuk and ham leng chat!
Side story :
Last Saturday evening my partner and I passed by (he wanted to pick up something from Kian Huat, the shop next to Gepuklah) around 6:30pm. There was a long queue which blocked Kian Huat's shopfront.
Guess what? Gepuklah's boss was at Kian Huat chatting with the shopkeeper and my partner joined in the short conversation.
"You should have come up to the shop with me!" my partner remarked as soon as he came back to the car. He told me that the young boss shared that Gepuklah was 2 years in the making.
Well, who knows if they can sustain their popularity, there might be more Gepuklah outlets just like Nasi Lemak Shop.
![]() |
| Watch : Here |


























Hi dear PH, wow, that was quite a long queue! I have never done the QR code thing and quite honestly, I wouldn't know how to! Someone would have to show me, as I am a visual learner! LOL! I hope that the time you waited was worth your while. The food certainly looks good. I get the impression that you enjoyed it. This is a great thing!
ReplyDeleteI also hated extracurricular activities when I was in school! Ugh! LOL!
Oh wow, I didn't think you'd want to wait in line for this....before 10am to queue, 12pm to get a seat, eat by maybe 1pm...half a day gone/wasted just for Gepuklah....lol! Nope, not worth it for me, however good the food. The other day (my "carnivore" dinner), they told me I had to wait an hour for a table and I told them I'll wait for just a while to see if I've any luck (as in diners leaving earlier than expected) and ended up waiting only about 10min but was told I could have the table only for 1 hour coz there's a reservation for that table. Ya, it can be a bit stressed to have to eat quickly because someone is waiting for your table (I had no choice but to agree coz I certainly didn't want to wait an hour for an available table). I can imagine it's even worse for you to be facing the waiting crowd while eating (at least I didn't...haha...and yeah, I wouldn't want to eat under those circumstances).
ReplyDeleteApparently this young man was a food reviewer before running a restaurant. He must be chatting and being friendly with the boss next door to appease him (lol) of the crowd blocking his shopfront (and conducting his business). Maybe he sends over some free Gepuklah for him...wakakakaka!