Not to worry, ok? Poodie as well as Ah Boi are both fine.
One Saturday morning, Poodie did not come home for breakfast. Later I found her under my neighbor's car. I did not suspect anything was wrong.
Then mid morning it rained and all my girls were home. I noticed Poodie was curled in a ball, very tense. When she got up, she was trembling and I noticed she was no able to put her weight on her right hind leg.
There was a puncture wound behind the leg. She hobbled on three legs with the injured leg dangling behind her. My heart broke and I almost cried.
My first thought was to take her to the vet but when I tried to put her into the carrier, she whined and tensed up (due to pain). I decided not to stress her up and let her be.
Animals (and humans) have a natural ability to heal (of course a gunshot wound or a broken leg requires a visit to the ER/Vet).
While Poodie was not looking, I quickly sprayed antiseptic (formulated for pets) onto her wound.
I carried her by supporting her chest in one hand and her left hind leg (avoiding the injured leg) and laid her gently on the rattan basket.
I though of keeping her in the cage in the house but I knew that it would upset her. Stress would impair healing.
I observed that she was able to lift and stretch her injured leg so I was sure that her bones were not broken. I also gently ran my fingers along her leg and I did not detect any swelling.
It seems to help and for 2 weeks Poodie rested on top of the rattan basket. In the evenings before I called it a day, I would peek out the door to check on her and she would peek back at me hah..hah... I felt reassured to see her resting.
I was confident that with a good diet (real chicken and liver) and rest, Poodie would recover quickly. The first 3 days, she hardly ate, and I reckon fasting is good for healing.
By day 3 her wound had sealed up but she was still hobbling. By day 10 she was able to put weight on the healing leg and by day 14, she was walking like normal and back to her normal self, flopping to the ground and doing belly rolls. Praise the Lord!
A month before Poodie was attacked, I discovered this injury, I sprayed her rear end with the antiseptic I mentioned earlier. In a few days, Ah Boi healed.
Just three Sundays ago, as my partner and I got home, Poodie was viciously attacked by Leng Chai. She was on the ground and he was on top of her, and there was a lot of growling and screeching. I gave chase, shouted at him and Poodie escaped.
This was Poodie after the attack. I carried her into the porch (she was whining by the rubbish bin) and examined her. Just some small abrasions on the paw, nothing serious. Her right eye was tearing but she could open her eye by evening.
I admit, I had murderous thoughts of wringing Leng Chai's neck if I could get my hands on him. But that is not the right thing to do. Whenever I see him, I hiss (sometimes I growl LOL!) at him and I hope he gets the message.



















Must go yim that perpetrator.
ReplyDeleteOh dear, your poor girls! T_T Those wounds on your girls were definitely from cat attacks (could be from other female cats as well though it's more probable it's from your neighbourhood dominant male cat, Leng Chai). I've seen more than my share of such wounds (usually on legs and the back of the neck) on my late Cookie. That Leng Chai could be aggressive towards your girls because they spurn his mating advances or just dominance over his territory. As long as the male cat is not removed from his territory, these attacks will continue (so I pray for your girls' safety). That's why I made the concerted decision to not let Poppy roam the streets (after seeing my late Cookie getting attacked) to have peace of mind at the expense of her freedom. Cats somehow have the knack of recovering on their own without vet intervention. I also had difficulty getting my late Cookie to the vet as he'd be very aggressive when in pain and won't let the vet touch him. I will have sleepless nights if my cat is out roaming the streets at night.
ReplyDelete