Sunday 16 October 2022

Fish Bones

So kedekut this madam. Buy fish bones. No money, ah? Hello. This one I can only afford the bones, ok?

New Zealand Ora King Salmon. Bloody expensive fish.


The price per kilo is RM235.00. I know. I bought it once before and found that it was fantastic. Very rich and delectable, the wagyu of salmon.


You can buy the bones (800g-1kg) for RM20.00. Some more buy 1 free 1. So that's what I did.


This is one packet (800g-1kg), and it is packed in two portions. I defrosted both portions thinking that since it's just bones, I could eat the whole lot.


I baked the bones in the oven at 200C for about 17 minutes.


There was quite a substantial amount of flesh and fats on the bones. Pretty delicious I would say. 


I really enjoyed the scraps and perhaps I loved this even more than the fillets. 


The bony parts are crispy and it's really nice.


I particularly love the fatty parts.


I could only manage half of the pan. It does not look like much but wow, so filling! I saved whatever that was leftover in the fridge for the next day.

It's now my 2MAD (2 meals a day) and lunch was a bacon and prawn pizza.


It was not a successful pizza but it was edible. I'm still working on it and will share the recipe once I nail it. 

14 comments:

  1. I think I would love to eat the crispy salmon fats too. Can all the bones be eaten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the bones that became crispy could be eaten.

      Delete
  2. They sell them to you at Japanese sushi restaurants. Not into salmon, not fond of the smell but my girl loves it. This is the NZ farmed ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I have had these bones at a Japanese restaurant too.

      Delete
  3. Ah, NZ Ora King Salmon is a premium species of farmed salmon...and king salmon is known to be the fattiest of all salmon. Unfortunately, what's good for me, I feel jelak eating the fatty parts. I can see why you enjoy the scraps with bones coz anything cooked on the bone, we (Asians) know it's always more delicious...lol! I know they're very tasty coz some sushi joints will deep-fry the leftover salmon bones (after the meat is cut off for sashimi) and I would always get if I see them on the sushi line and spend time chewing the fragrant bits of flesh off the bones (some of the bones can also be eaten as they're crispy). ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very jelak. A little bit tastes good. I loved the crispy bones, so much flavor there!

      Delete
  4. Wow. I cannot even afford the bone!!! Lol.

    I like salmon but hardly buy and cook myself. Did try pan fried once. But still, prefer to eat outside salmon. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! At one time I was crazy about salmon.

      Delete
  5. I think you have something there with the pizza idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I do! Still working on it hee..hee...

      Delete
  6. I can see there were good amount of flesh on the bones and I think roasted fish bones can be cooked into some delicious soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was quite a lot of meat, so it's quite worth it.

      Delete
  7. I am not a salmon person but I am eyeing your bacon and prawn pizza. Yums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, bacon and prawn is more yum yum!

      Delete