Monday 31 October 2022

In Pain Again

Sorry for the long silence. I had another episode. Haiz... Kena slipped disc again.

I had this since last Thursday, woke up with back pain that progressed as the day went by. This could have been triggered by me doing gardening the past few weekends (carrying flower pots and all). 

Also a couple of weeks ago, I was cooking at the stove and bent down to check on the flame and whoa! Instantly felt a sharp pain in my back.

No, I didn't go the doctor because all he would do is give me pain killers and recommend physiotherapy (electrical impulse and cold treatment). I can do the cold pack treatment myself, which I did (everyday since Thursday), and that helped a lot. Besides, the Covid-19 infections are still prevalent and I do not want to expose myself to any risk. 

How do I know it is a slipped/herniated disc? I am very experienced and I can tell the difference between regular back pain and pain caused by a slipped disc. The pain is more intense (it is akin to being stabbed with a metal rod) and can cause sciatica ie pain being radiated down one leg. This time it went all the way down to my foot.

So yesterday I spent my day mostly on my back while watching TV. I am much better today, it still hurts but not as bad as the past few days. It's such a bummer because I had to cancel my weekend lunch with my brother. Hopefully I will be well enough this weekend. See how.

Not to worry as I am recovering and can even come to work today. But tomorrow I am taking a day off to rest and recuperate. 

Anyway, I just show you my meals for the past few days. No fancy photography or plating, very natural heh..heh...


Salmon belly sashimi! I bought frozen sashimi grade salmon belly a couple of weeks ago. I removed the skin when it was still semi-frozen.


Tu dia! I siap-siap buy Kikoman sashimi soy sauce and also a tube of wasabi. The salmon sashimi was so, so good! 


That plate of sashimi cost me RM25.00 and imagine had I eaten that amount at a Japanese restaurant, I would be broke.


I also roasted some salmon bones.


The bones  were so crispy that I could eat most of them.


And of course this attracted somebody's attention.


Needless to say, there was a whole lot of whining that went on in the dining room. So I chased her out hah..hah... No sharing!


That was another good meal.


I have another packet of salmon bones in the freezer. Can't wait to eat that another day soon.


This was dinner. Meatball soup with beaten eggs dropped in.


Of course served with chopped up daun sup and a dollop of fried shallots. Eat straight from the pot!

The next meals you see are what I had on other days.


Bacon wrapped beef burger patties and fried eggs (yup, yolks over cooked).


Beef tendon soup.


Steamed eggs with mince pork.

Just in case anyone wondered what I did with the salmon skin.


It didn't work out that well. The vortex in the air fryer sort of blew the fish skin around.


So I had to gather them and placed them like so in the air fryer. Also my baking paper got burnt. It's better to pan fry the skin.

14 comments:

  1. Gosh. Don't play play. Glad you are getting better. Do rest more, don't over exert your back

    I also think pan fry is better than air fry. Crispier skin. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now I watch TV lying down, so syiok. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear!!! Slipped disc! I wouldn't bother to cook if in pain like you. You tried acupuncture? It works!!! Or go for tit tar - that guy Chris Leong is very famous!!! These TCM methods can do wonders!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I supposed I could have ordered via Grabfood but cooking for me these days is quite a breeze. I am aware of tit tar and Chris Leong is quite amazing. But I am scared lah. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear of your latest pain episode...hope you're much better now. Of what you ate, I would enjoy the meatball soup and steamed egg with minced pork. I've to say your latter dish turned out rather well (I've had some failures with steamed egg dishes lately) >_< I didn't know you can buy salmon bones as I've only seen salmon head being sold. If cooked well, these salmon bones are very crispy...yums (not a big fan of salmon sashimi though).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am much better now, thanks. Still recovering slowly but surely. I got the salmon bones from Feast Market and they are going for buy one free one (800g-1kg) at RM20.00. Oh yes, I love the crispy bones!

      Delete
  4. Please take good care and rest well. Ah, Girl is so tempted by the smell of delicious fish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're feeling better now, please rest more. One of my girl friend also have back pain problem (which is quite serious and I don't know the exact name of that illness :P).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am better, thanks! Your friend's problem I wonder could it be scoliosis.

      Delete
  6. So sorry that you were in great pain because of the slipped disc. The way you described the pain, it must be terrible painful for you. Do be careful and go slow on your bending and please do not carry any heavy things or pots. I no longer carry heavy pots, I will roll them or slowly shift them side by side to where I want them to be. The meatball soup with dropped eggs look good especially on a cool evening. Take care and rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will have to refrain from carrying flower pots! I must follow your method to avoid future injury.

      Delete
  7. Wow ... so much sashimi! Yes, will cost a bomb if eaten in those Japanese restaurants. About the slipped disc, did the doc tell you how to exercise? I had slipped disc before too... the doc demostrated to me how to relieve the pain and it really works! Something like those runners do before starting to run.. Ready n Get Set Position.. aiyah.. really don't know how to show you here... hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, then you know how painful it is! My doc also previously taught me some exercises. I also watched quite a lot of Youtube videos for more exercices.

      Delete