Monday 3 October 2022

A Sunday Family Lunch

I have two younger brothers. The older of the two is married with two children. The younger one (who is my foodie partner-in-crime) is still available. But whoever is interested must go through an interview with me first hah..hah...hah...

To avoid confusion I shall name them YB#1 and YB#2 (YB = Younger Brother, not Yang Berhormat).

Well, my parents are in town and YB#1 recently moved into his new house. So we were invited for a housewarming lunch last Sunday.

This is my first social outing ever since becoming carnivore, so my immediate concern is what's on the menu. So I asked. 


Fish head curry. Everybody (in the family)'s favorite. Fish is animal mah, so it is suitable for carnivore although the curry is not. But who cares. I will just eat the fish and not the gravy.

This is my brother's sub-contactor kih..kih..kih..


And this is our lunch.


Nice! This is the sort of dishes that call for loads of rice.

The star of the show, the curry fish head. There was another portion in the kitchen which my mum happily took home later.


This is mantis prawns. 


Sambal petai. My niece loves this. In fact both my niece and nephew (he is away overseas for studies) love petai since they were kids.


This is the only dish from the main contractor hah..hah.. my brother's ladies fingers masala.


Fried chicken.


And curry chicken.


That was a scrumptious lunch and I saw people (I won't say who) having a second helping of rice. Well, in my past life I would have done so with gusto. But all I had was some fish head and a piece of fried chicken.

And that's not all. Got dessert, eh!


It was so thoughtful of my brother and sister-in-law to get a cake to celebrate my dad's and my birthday. Yup, me and my Pa are September babies.


After the birthday song, me and my dad blew out a candle each.


It was a Tiramisu Cake and it was lovely. You know, last year, I told myself that I was going to buy myself a small cake and eat the whole cake by myself (one of my fantasies lah). Of course, that did not happen. Mana tau I was going to turn carnivore. 


Aha! So you ask me, you got eat cake, ah? Got lah.


Just one bite and YB#2 helped me to finish it.

At the end of the meal, my sister-in-law insisted on doing the washing up so my mum and I accompanied her in the kitchen. Then she asked me why did I eat so little, was I on a diet?

So I told her that I hoped she did not think that I am crazy (hah..hah..) because I am on a carnivore diet. Without batting an eyelid, she was like "Oh, one of my colleagues is also on an all meat diet. In fact a few are keto".

Phew! It's good to know that the carnivore diet is catching on in Malaysia. In fact I met one on the Steak & Butter Gang and she has been carnivore for one year already.

Then when I left the kitchen, YB#1 asked me the same thing. So I told him that I'm a carnivore and he was like "Why didn't you tell me? I would have cooked a steak for you!" hah..hah...

So now they all know and I don't have to worry about Chinese New Year 2023. 

It was a wonderful and happy family lunch gathering and I am looking forward to our next gathering next year. 

Back home, I cooked dinner.


Air fried beef trimmings (again). I ate this while watching the last episode of Monster : The Jeffrey Dahmer Story. YB#2 also watched this series and YB#1 told us he binged watched the series until 4:00am one morning.

19 comments:

  1. ur YBs and SIL are quite 'supportive' of your new carnivore diet. Well, at least they didn't nag nor reject it. I don't think my elderlies can accept it. They are still conservative on such and think one must eat 'balance meal' consists of grain/carbs, proteins, fruits and veggies....which made me bloated all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I was so thankful that they were so supportive and did not ask me any weird questions. LOL! I do realize now that last time I used to be bloated due to too much fiber. I don't have that problem anymore.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful cake you all had there! The fish curry looked good too...and all the other dishes as well. The fried chicken looks like ayam berempah, nice! Ummmm...about the interview, will your brother interview the father instead...on behalf? LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake and all the dishes were pretty good. My brother interview you? But he is not marrying you. LOL!!!

      Delete
  3. It must be torture to be confronted with so many delicious dishes (that goes great with rice) but yet cannot eat! >.< Oh, I didn't know that there are still family members who don't know you're on a carnivore diet (that means they don't read your blog or are not aware of its existence). Well, now that everyone knows, I'm sure they'll make sure there are dishes you can eat next time. Ah, just one bite of the tiramisu tells me this one isn't quite of the same standard as the one at the Italian place where you can finish the whole thing...lol.

    Looking at the spread (which I believe is for 7 persons), your family (other than you and your brother lah) are quite small eaters actually since the servings look kinda small. For my family parties of ten, I think I need twice as much....hah..hah. Good that your parents can still eat all these spicy food, my mom don't anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, not torture at all. It would be torture if I were longing and tempted to eat all those dishes, and believe it or not I wasn't. I know what will happen to me if I indulged and strangely I do not crave these foods anymore. Oh no, the cake was very good, hah..hah...

      Yes, 7 persons and there seemed to be enough to go around. My mum is a big eater is so is my other brother. My SIL I am not sure hah..hah.

      Delete
  4. Wah, nice tasty food. Good good that all of them know you are a carnivore now so next time, any gatherings will have a nice big juicy steak for u. Yums! 👍😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I was glad to get it out of the way. Now I don't have to worry about family makan sessions.

      Delete
  5. Wow.. you really stick to your carnivore diet! Good for you, so determined.. If it were me, I would have pecah the diet already.. all those curry and sambal, I must have rice to go with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My taste has changed over these past few months and the fact that I know these foods will cause havoc for me keeps me grounded.

      Delete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday to you and your daddy! All the dishes are my favourite. The pretty sight of curry fish head tempted me to hop over to Rath's Raub nearby since they have small portions too.
    I often wondered how I could be a fan of the stinky petai too. Many people avoided it for no good reasons except the smell. What smell??
    The family gathering was so warm and precious for everyone! Hope you guys took many photos to keep and cherish the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, TM! LOL! I am OK with petai, not a hardcore fan. We did take a group photo after makan.

      Delete
  7. wow, once I saw those dishes, I know it's going to be a "tambah nasi" meal and here gone my low carbo diet, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That would have been me too last time. Not anymore.

      Delete
  8. Great to able to meet up and catch up with your family after the Covid-19. Curry fish head looked delicious. I would have that with lots of rice. Lol. Expect lots of meats for CNY reunion dinner. Haha.

    I can't remember the last time I had tiramisu cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, now that they know I am carnivore, they will make sure there are meat dishes on the table hee..hee...

      Delete
  9. So many delicious food for the gathering. You are very disciplined in your diet. The cake looks so good and I would probably end up eating the whole piece. Lol! Now that everyone knows about your carnivore diet, there will be plenty of meat in the next gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds wise and I wonder what questions you would ask on your interview!? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of them is "Would you be all right to be completely ignored during Formula One season?" wahahaha!!!

      Delete