Wednesday 12 October 2022

Always Check Ingredients

I find that I am now able to eat plain unflavored yogurt, which is better because the flavored ones contain a lot of sugar.

So encouraged by my ability to eat something that I considered smelly (and vile tasting) in the past, I ordered a tub of Bright Cow plain yogurt (via myAeon2go).


The problem with this online platform is that you can't view the labels. In fact the photo online was different which gave me the impression that the yogurt was full fat yogurt (my preference, I don't like low fat products).

I liked the taste and I found it very thick and creamy. But upon reading the label, I was horrified.


It contains tapioca starch, an added carbohydrate. I am all right with the naturally occurring carbohydrates in yogurt. I really do not need added carbs. So won't be buying this brand again.


In the same order, I got me a small bottle of plain yogurt drink. Alas, this one is also low fat. Upon taking a sip, oh my God! It was so sweet! Isn't plain yogurt supposed to be sour?


Adoi! Got added sugar lah! So I threw it away. Obviously not buying again.


Then I checked out Farm Fresh Natural yogurt. Although it doesn't say, I know this is full fat because they have the skinny version (low fat). Then I checked the label.


Ah! Only milk and live cultures. I have made yogurt before and I know that it is really not necessary to add starches or whatever to make it thick.


This is another of my favorite milk product - milk kefir. I actually wanted the unflavored one but it was not in stock. So I got this Wildberries flavor which I have tried before and liked because it is quite tart and barely sweet. I believe the sweet taste comes from the berries (there could be some added sugars, so not ideal).


No sugars are mentioned in the ingredients (present in the berries) and the carbohydrate/sugar count is 10.1g per 110ml serving (total serving per bottle is 330ml).

What I did was take some of the plain Farm Fresh yogurt and mixed in about 100ml of this Bright Cow Wildberries Kefir and it tasted so good!

I'm hoping that the Bright Cow unflavored kefir will be in stock soon.

14 comments:

  1. I can only drink low fat fresh milk but I only add a bit to my oats when I boil them so I do not need to buy a lot. Can't find the no sugar V-soy soya bean milk anymore - I like to drink that!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh? I have not been looking for the no sugar V-soy milk and now I wonder if they are in stock over here.

      Delete
  2. That means you can drink plain lassi at banana leaf rice eateries already. Thanks for all the details regarding these yogurts. So now, can you eat Greek yogurt plain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried eating plain Greek yogurt yet. Akan datang. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I don't mind plain yogurt, greek yogurt and those with fruit flavoured. Sometimes when I take milk, I will have stomach indigestion. But I am ok with yogurt. Long time didn't stock up on yogurt. Usually me and my 2nd child take them, the others not interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for me, I can't drink milk. Will run to the toilet in less than 5 minutes!

      Delete
  4. I see carbs and sugar are listed as ingredients in most of the yogurt drinks you bought. If not, you'll find stabiliser listed as an ingredient...and if I'm not mistaken, stabilisers (pectin included) are usually made from some form of starch. Since you have to lay off carbs, these yogurt drinks may not be all that suitable for you. Then again, I've never believed the ingredients list 100% coz some of these unscrupulous manufacturers will hide "certain" ingredients from us. Some we will eventually find out (when the authorities do an "audit" on the ingredients listed) but many will "escape" coz the authorities can't check all of them)! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, there is no such thing as zero carbs. Even eggs contain some carbs. As long as I do below 20g per day, I am ok with that. I agree with you, those ingredient listing is not super accurate and certain ingredients may not even be listed. Especially here, the authorities are not strict at all.

      Delete
  5. I like plain yogurt drink but taken for a long time. There are so many brands in the market, it will be hard to screen through everyone of them. I think the best is home made yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, home made is best as we know what we put into it.

      Delete
  6. I always get full fat milk or yogurt too. The yogurt that I normally get is Marigold (plain yogurt), but never check on the ingredients list. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried Marigold flavored yogurt. If I remember correctly, they put gelatin and the yogurt has a jelly-like texture. I must revisit this brand.

      Delete
  7. Aha! I have been avoiding sugar drastically until my friend sent me free supplies of unsweetened soya milk, oat milk and almond milk. He was so sad to see me sick and stopped drinking cow's milk. I was surprised that oat milk tastes exactly like cow's milk but very pricey. I am lucky that I received free supply now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to take almond milk in my overnight oats. Oat milk and nut milks do contain carbohydrates but if taken sparingly they should be all right.

      Delete