Sunday 28 July 2024

Value Lunch Sets @ The Charcoal Grill, Damansara Utama


The other day I was wondering what to eat and where and then I thought of The Charcoal Grill. Oh ya, I haven't been back for a while.



When I got there, I found out about the value lunch sets.


Usually, I avoid value sets because I find that restaurants usually cut back on portion sizes.


But I decided to give the value set a chance because Charcoal Grilled Chicken Chop on the regular menu cost RM27.00. The set with a drink costs RM19.90.

While waiting for my order, I came upon this article.

What a coincidence.


I opted for the Rempah Chicken Chop with two sides of grilled vegetables, simply because this is the only side dish that is suitable for me.

As you can see, I received one whole chicken leg and regular portions of the sides. My negative perception of "value sets" were totally unfounded.


The chicken chop was well marinated with spices that hinted of satay. The skin was crispy and this chicken chop was smokey and delicious though it was a tad saltier than what I am used to.


The grilled vegetables were to my liking though they needed more seasoning. So the oversalted chicken and undersalted veggies balanced each other out hah...hah... 

Beverage of choice was Iced Black Tea, specifically requesting for no sugar.

This meal cost me RM23.10. OK lah, very reasonable for a lovely meal at a restaurant.

Some days later, I returned for the Pork Chops.


This was the Signature flavor which was pretty good. The pork chops were on the leaner side. Flavor wise it was very tasty and smokey, salted just right. Previously I tried the Thai Spice Pork Chops where the pork chops were a bit fattier.

This meal is more expensive (RM34.70) obviously because pork is more expensive. It was a very satisfying meal.

***Kittie Updates***

These photos were taken prior to TuTu's spaying procedure.


This is Girl giving us her atas sombong look while TuTu looks on.


Ah Boi gets along very well with her auntie Girl.


Ah Boi is very much mama's girl.

15 comments:

  1. To serve their chicken & pork chops "naked" without any accompanying sauces, they must be pretty confident on its seasoning and flavours. Those set lunches are certainly good value (in a setting like this)...and they look well executed (especially the grilled vegetables). Yeah, you're right, set lunches usually cut back on the portion size...but you're pretty safe with chicken chop lah coz they can't very well not give you the whole leg (they can't cut it into two...lol). The best they can do is find a smaller chicken leg...haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flavors are really good, no need for any sauce on the side. But they tend to be a bit heavy handed with salt. I am glad to have a place to go for for delicious meats at relatively affordable prices.

      Delete
  2. The leaner pork chop looks suitable for me. Good that the drinks can be customized to be without sugar because sometimes the shop will say oh, the drinks are boiled with sugar already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I am glad they don't pre-make their drinks with sugar.

      Delete
  3. Ah Boi's fur is so shiny. 😻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... yes, she is always berkilat-kilat. LOL!

      Delete
  4. The value set is so much cheaper than the regular set. Is it true that times pork tends to turn out to be tougher than chicken. I love both pork and chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Girl trying to imitate the supermodel look - fierce and 'atas sombong' kind of expression!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... she angan-angan wanna be a model!

      Delete
  6. What are the other choices for the sides? I would choose grilled vegetables for the sides too. They look well cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sides are listed on the menu above. It's a bit small, can click to enlarge the photo.

      Delete
  7. Grilled chicken + grilled veggies as side, this combo remind me of my default order at Nando's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. yes, the grilled veggies are like the ones at Nando's which is also my default order at Nando's.

      Delete