Wednesday 15 November 2023

Sad

This morning I was deeply saddened to learn of Nancy Chan's passing

Nancy and I have never met but we interacted on our respective blogs. I still remember how she kindly mailed me Spider Flower seeds. I was so upset that I broke down in tears. Nancy, may you rest in peace and may the Lord embrace you and keep you in His heavenly kingdom. With Nancy the gardens in heaven will be even more beautiful! Amen.

Yesterday evening, I received a call from my brother informing me that dad was experiencing massive bleeding. Just that very morning I visited dad and he appeared lethargic and very low on energy. I stayed just for a short while to let him rest. Next thing I know, he was in distress and needed medical intervention.

Our family had earlier discussed (with the doctors) and agreed to no further treatment for dad. There is no point to prolong his life because he will not recover. He is now bedridden and has no quality of life.

However, seeing that he is still alert and mentally sharp (in other words, still very much alive) my brother and I consented to an intervention to stop the bleeding. We cannot allow our father to bleed to death. I could never live with that guilt if we did not at least give him another chance.

The procedure was successful but our troubles are not over because there are a few other complications to be dealt with. This is pending discussion with the doctors. 

This morning together with mum, we visited dad at the ICU. He was conscious and lucid and was able to carry on a conversation with us. He was weak and his speech was barely audible. We stayed for almost an hour before leaving.


All of us barely slept last night (my brothers and my sister-in-law were at the hospital till late) and what we needed was a good cup of coffee. The most convenient place to go to is Red Kettle at The Starling for easier parking.

Mum's mobility is not as good as it used to be and we try to create easy access for her. So my brother drops us off at the basement entrance and we go up to restaurant while he looks for a spot to park.


My brother and I had the Beef Burger while mum had the Fish and Chips.


My brother loves the Beef Burger and so do I.


Yes, I ate the burger - buns and all hah..hah.. I am taking a temporary respite from an all meat diet. 


Mum said the Fish and Chips was ok. Look at those onions rings. She couldn't finish them all.

After lunch, I accompanied mum down to the basement carpark to wait for my brother to get his car. Then off I went back up to the mall for some walking to clear my head. These are very difficult times - emotionally and mentally (not to mention financially).


At Mr DIY I saw many Christmas trees for sale. Time sure flies by so fast. Deepavali was just over and now Christmas is coming. 


I saw a long queue at IlaoIlao. Every Wednesday there is a discount. If I remember correctly today being the 3rd Wednesday of the month, there is a 30% discount.


So all the el cheapos were queueing up and observed by this el kaypoh. Back in the day, I also queued up for discounted frozen yogurt but not anymore.


Down at the basement this new eatery just opened, Rollti. They sell some sort of wraps and it looks interesting.


Eh, they got Kopi C! I must go and try one of these days.


Next door Sala is still surviving. Don't know if I will every try it.


My naughty Girl is still around to cheer me up.


She is still mommy's number one sayang.


Well, I hope dad stays stable for now. I know this is just the calm before the storm. May my family and I find strength to go through this very trying time.

14 comments:

  1. ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™ I can understand this type of sad feelings of uncertainty that makes us very weak, numbed and even confused. That's because we could not control such situations and it makes our mind & body feeling very helpless. I did many tricks to keep my head distracted through eating ice creams, smelling essential oils and walking the malls in circles like you. It helped to calm me. I wish to have cats to hug at home when I am sad and lost.
    Your dad is in the good hands of the best medical team and they could even stop his bleeding. I pray that miracles would happen.

    I was very sad to hear of Nancy's passing too. She had earlier on left comments of encouragement for my recovery. I thought she was getting better with the treatment received. Life is so fragile and is just a journey for us. I have to learn to live well and meaningful everyday.

    The food and environment at Red Kettle is always superb. I do enjoy eating their Fish & Chips and Beef Burger which are cooked to perfection at right portions. Their thick cut fries are heavenly to dip in tomato ketchup. They always enjoy better business than the neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Life can be so cruel and I cry inside thinking for my father's condition. I pray that God releases him from this difficult situation and I will accept the eventuality with an open heart. No one can live forever.

      Delete
  2. Yes, read Claire's blog this morning on Nancy's passing. She is in better place now. God bless her soul. I never met her but learnt a lot from her blog. Such a wonderful strong lady.

    Sorry to hear about your dad's condition. So sad but at such time, family support is important for him. I know he is trying to be strong for you guys too. My prayers go to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I try to stay strong and not think too much or too far ahead.

      Delete
  3. ๐Ÿซ‚May God give all of you strength ๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your dad. My dad was ill for about two months only - he came down with a very high fever that would not subside. The private medical centre would not admit him - that, of course, said it all already and sent him to the general hospital. He was there for three nights - it was the oxygen that was keeping him alive, all the readings were very good but the moment he pulled away the oxygen mask, his face would turn black instantly. He passed away when the doctor and nurses took off the mask to put in a tube to feed him - they said he had not been eating for so many days. I did not say a thing because it was good that he moved on - he did not have to suffer any longer. He lapsed into dementia, was like a little kid, kept asking to go upstairs when he was already upstairs, kept saying that he wanted to go home - his home was in Christchurch, he said...and it went on and on and on and on. Everyone was so helpless, all stressed out!!!

    I knew Nancy for a long time as I would see her in Claire's blog regularly. It was only quite recently when our paths crossed in a New Zealand photo blog and we started commenting in each other's blog. I was so shocked when she broke the bad news and felt so sad for her for all that she had to go through. At least, it did not drag on too long - some would suffer in pain for years! God bless her soul, may she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you and your family then. I pray that God will spare my father further suffering and when the time comes for him to move on, I will accept wholeheartedly, sad as it may be.

      Delete
  5. It's a sad time indeed...to hear of your dad's condition....and of Nancy's passing (I don't know her as well as you do but do visit her blog every now and then, she visited my blog and left a few comments too). With Christmas round the corner, hope it brings a little cheer to everyone. Stay strong through this trying time. Girl will help keep you calm. Hugs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement! I try very hard to stay strong and not think too much. I doubt if Christmas would be merry for my family and I but we will lean on prayers and faith in the Lord.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry to hear of your dad's condition and I hope you & your family can stay strong during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We are trying to be brave and to accept when the time comes for dad to move on.

      Delete
  7. i was sad at Nancy's passing too. Life is fragile, cherish every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we must appreciate every moment with our loved ones.

      Delete