Thursday 9 November 2023

An Outing With Mum

On Wednesday I visited dad at the nursing home together with my mum and my brother.

We were all very pleased that dad has settled in very well (since last Saturday) and was in a cheerful and chatty mood. In fact Monday, I received a call from the home to tell me that dad was a little resistant when the nurse wanted to shave and bathe him.

So I advised the caller that it was all right not to shave dad (at home he keeps his moustache and beard) and that the nurse is to ask him to tell her when she can return to clean him. For a start, the soft approach should be employed and that they please be patient with him.

We find the nurse, a Filipino lady, to be very friendly and kind. She and dad seemed to have warmed up to each other and I expect that she will know how to handle him. Elder persons need lots of patience and understanding.

We are allowed one hour per visit and have to make prior appointment before visiting. That is understandable so that the home can better manage the visitors due to space and staff constraint.

After the visit (we will return Saturday) we headed out to brunch and where did we end up?


I did say that we won't be back so soon, but we had to bring mum here for the experience. Also I wanted to taste something.

Parking is always a problem everywhere and my brother dropped us at the entrance before going to find a space to park. Kenny Hills Bakers, in spite of their steep prices is packed even at brunch. Mum and I managed to get the only available table inside.


I proceeded to make the orders (my brother had specified what he wanted, he was so prepared hah..hah...). Coffee is a must. We all had the Flat White.


Guess who had the Roast Beef Sandwich? Mum was very intrigued by the sandwich which I blogged about here. She loves sandwiches and of course she had to order that.

Here, meet my mum. With her permission, I am posting her photo.


For an 80 year old, mum has a healthy appetite.


She finished her sandwich, no problem! And pronounced the Roast Beef Sandwich excellent. Ah, we have the same taste hee..hee...


I had the Eggs Flamenco because I did not want to eat too much carbs. Initially I wanted a salad but it is only available from 12:00pm onwards.


The presentation is rather nice but it was unremarkable in taste. The eggs were overcooked. This is not something that I would order again.


My brother's Bagel with Smoked Salmon was apparently not so exciting. Not that it was bad, just that he has had better.


And of course, we cannot leave without desserts.


The Key Lime Pie (this was what I wanted to taste) was my brother's favorite of the day. I eagerly tasted this first and what stood out for me was the crust (ironically) which I suspect is a biscuit crust judging from the taste and texture.

Somehow I was not wowed by the filling. No fault of the Key Lime Pie, just my taste preference.  I would have loved it to be tangier with more lime fragrance.


I was curious about their Black Forrest Cake. Usually this is in sliced form but here it is a mini cake by itself. The cherry filling was generous and there was more cream/filling than cake which made it not so happening for me. But still, it was a good cake (I prefer the one at Red Kettle).


The Chocolate Truffle Torte fared much better. It has a biscuit crust and filled with a dense chocolaty filling. It is reminiscent of the Mocha Cake that I loved so much at Red Kettle.

This was my favorite of our three desserts, though I wished that the chocolate filling was not so dense. It would be better if it was a bit softer with a fudgy texture.


So that was our adventure with mum that day. After we were done, my brother sent us back to his house and he went off to work. After I settled mum in, I left and walked back to Damansara Utama.

I went to ronda-ronda at The Starling first to burn off the abundance of glucose that I consumed hah..hah... You all don't believe me when I said that sugar gives me leg cramps. Sure enough as I was was walking at the mall, both my calves started to seize and I was limping when I reach the top floor.

Me being me, I continued walking and my legs normalized again after a while. Scary or not?


I clocked up more than 10,000 steps.


No need to pay money to go to the gym.


This art center Mosaic, is all prepared for Christmas.


After all the walking I went back to the office to do what I had to do. Hopefully I can blog more often now. Fingers crossed.

16 comments:

  1. I❤️❤️❤️ Wow! Peewiit!! Aunty Daisy is so mode, canggih and very young for her age. She needs to eat more cakes and drink Red Bulls so that can go dancing again. Wakakaka ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

    I always blamed my stupidity for not parking at the big space right next to TTDI Market. I double parked many times and kena saman once. Damn soei la. One coffee, one pie plus One Saman totalled RM150!!

    I can understand your dad's concern on cleaning up. I had the worst clean ups by 3 nurses who were preparing me to get endoscopy while my both hands had tubes on the bed . They pumped so much fluid into my mouth and ass until I threw up with severe diarrhea on the bed non stop. I wished I had died that day and gone to Rainbow Bridge . ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah...you really know how to butter up Aunty Daisy!

      I must tell my brother to park next to TTDI market, it is just right across. Aiyo, really not worth it to kena saman. Mustn't simply park next time.

      So scary! I am glad you didn't end up at Rainbow Bridge. LOL!

      Delete
  2. That sure did not look like a black forest. Same here too - had one the other night and it wasn't what we expected from something with that name (tomorrow's post in my blog). I love sandwiches too but your Eggs Flamenco looks like a killer! Yum yummm!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The usual Black Forest cake is much better. The one you had is more like a regular chocolate cake.

      Delete
  3. Ah, you went back for the key lime pie...but didn't like it as much as your brother (and I) did. No worries...everyone has their taste preference though I'm a bit surprised to hear that you wanted it tangier and with more lime fragrance. This tart is made with key limes (that's more expensive than regular limes) which are already known (and supposed to be tangier) for their more intense lime flavour than regular limes (I tasted the intensity but perhaps your threshold for something tangy/sour is much higher). Maybe you can try their onde-onde cake (I thought it was good) or the orange polenta cake (I'm told this is good) next.

    Wow, your mom looks much younger than her age...probably because of her so 'happening' dyed hair (I surely wasn't expecting to see this colour...lol). She also has a great appetite (my mom, perhaps me even, wouldn't be able to finish that) and strong teeth. Sourdough bread, though tastes good, can be chewy.

    Eggs flamenco is something I hardly order coz I don't like my eggs in a tomato-ey sauce + I've eaten my share of overcooked eggs in a cast iron pan. >.< Aww, your mains didn't turn out so well. I was told their savoury pies and toasties are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I need to taste the Key Lime Pie again. Good excuse, right? LOL! And since you also tempted me with the toasties and savory pies, I have to eat those too wahahahaha!!!

      Ah, if my mum reads your comment, she will be beaming from ear to ear hee..hee...

      Delete
  4. Ah, now I know where you got your youthful looks from. Very young at heart to have such a nice bright hair colour ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š ah, I don't think I will ever get to eat at this eatery ever again since I just hang around my place nowadays.

    Good that there is the visiting hours and must make appointments before visiting. It is a must to avoid being a nuisance to people living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliments :) I totally understand the ruling for designated visiting hours.

      Delete
  5. Your mum looks young and chic. Nice hair colour too.

    I would like that sandwich too. Very filling I am sure. The black forest cake looked moist and good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliments :)

      The sandwich is very filling and small eaters have to share hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. So happy knowing both your parents are in good health now.
    Your mum looks much younger than her age lah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Puan Hazel! Kembang hidung mak I hee..hee...

      Delete
  7. Yes, your mom is looking great for her age, with blonde hair and all!! I am now donning white, really looks much much older for my age now...hahaha... walking more than 10K steps is a good achievement, I doubt I could walk that much now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliments! My mum would appreciate it, I am sure :) Some ladies look very good with white hair.

      Delete
  8. Wow your mom definitely looks younger than her age and I love her beautiful orange hair! I recently like lemon pie very much and I'll get it every time when I see it in bakery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments! My mum would be so happy when she reads your comment hee..hee.... I used to make lemon bars and it was so addictive.

      Delete