Thursday 23 November 2023

Past Eats @ Kam Kee Cafe 1967, The Starling

Ah, yes. I have strayed into the path of carb eating omnivores yet again tsk! tsk! tsk!

Though I am not about to lose my carnivore card because by and large I am still very much a meat eater. So for the past weeks last month, I had been dining at Kam Kee Cafe 1967.


I was very intrigued by the Fried Rice with Diced Ox Tongue in Black Pepper. I placed an order and noted that there is an option to add sides of Kampung Fried Egg and Borscht Soup. Curious about the soup, I included the add-ons.


It was a very big portion of rice (I like!) with many tiny cubes of ox tongue and the wok hei aroma was wonderful. The fried egg as you can see in the background was pathetic.


The Borscht Soup was a revelation because it was pretty good with bits of beef and vegetables in it. I did not expect to like this soup but ended up loving it.


As you can see, the seating is very cramped and getting in and out of your seat can be very uncomfortable. If you are flanked by (occupied) seats on your right and left, to get out you have to practically slide right next to the customer at the next table. Very awkward.


The noise level can be deafening too at peak hours.


Next I had the Sweet and Sour Pork Rice. And again I added the Borscht Soup as an accompaniment.


So good!


I don't know what came over me because I don't like food that contain too much cheese. And yet I was motivated to order this Cheese Baked Tomato Pork Chop with Egg Fried Rice. It came to the table super hot so I had to be careful not to burn my tongue.


The cheese is very mild, mozzarella, and the tomato sauce was very pleasant. No overly strong taste or smell. The fried rice is pretty much simple fried rice.


And there were generous pieces of pork chop inside.


Nyums! Need I say more?


Someone at the next table couldn't finish his plate of fried rice (kepoh mode on). Like I mentioned, the portion size of the fried rice here is very ngam for sharing between two small eaters.


Then I went on to have the Yeung Chow Fried Rice which upon first and second spoonful, I tasted wok hei but after that there was no more wok hei aroma as I continued to eat. This fried rice was disappointing because it was also on the dry side.


I was also curious about the Seafood Fried Rice in XO Sauce. This one was much better than the Yeung Chow Fried Rice in terms of wok hei aroma and it was more moist.


But alas, I discovered that "seafood" meant crab sticks. Lots of crab sticks (and very little tiny shrimps) which I dislike. 


I also tried the Fried Hor Fun with Beef Slices in Egg Gravy. It was all right, a very stodgy meal.


Then one day I spotted an auntie (next table, super kepoh mode on again) who ordered the Signature Club Sandwich. It came in four pieces and she could only finish two and requested the server to pack the remainder.


So one Saturday I came for an early dinner and ordered the Signature Club Sandwich. By the way, when I came, there was no small table for me, so I had to sit outside at the al fresco area. 

Shortly after I placed my order, a table was available inside and the server came to ask if I would like to move. Ah, that's what I call service!


I must say that the sandwiches look very attractive but in terms of taste, well, they were pretty much ordinary. But I was happy that I tried it.

So that was it, my lunches (and one early dinner) at Kam Kee Cafe. The food here is more than decent and costs me about RM20+. So it is affordable. 

9 comments:

  1. Ooooo...your sandwiches look absolutely gorgeous!!! Not like what I had yesterday - blogpost on it coming soon. Oh! Yours was a club - how much was it? I had better club sandwiches at the classy hotel restaurants before with meat slices, beef patty and what not. Haven't had any for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Club Sandwich looked gorgeous but it was actually quite ordinary. Sorry I can't remember the price. I would have preferred the club sandwiches that you described - definitely better than luncheon meat and omelette.

      Delete
  2. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I am very surprised that you have been eating there and tried so many dishes. I like their Borscht Soup and Club Sandwich like comfort food. I have not tried any fried rice yet. Now I have good idea about what you have eaten.

    I also complain about their layout and big glass windows that caused the deafening noise when it's crowded. All the noise and echo bounces back on the glass and walls. End up the diners start talking loudly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...right? Yesterday I had Borscht soup with pork chops but unfortunately the soup was watered down :(

      Delete
  3. this Kam Kee cafe at Starling looks so packed! lol, like those char chaan teng in HK! yea, i can feel the claustrophobic when dined at such place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It continues to be super popular ever since it opened.

      Delete
  4. I like their Borscht Soup very much. Confirm no msg because I drank it all and wasn't thirsty. I find their sweet and sour pork very nice too. Now after seeing your baked cheese rice, I think I may try it next time. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, not thirsty at all after enjoying the Borscht soup.

      Delete
  5. That fried rice is really BIG in portion, remind me of the Siu Chow near my office which offers really good portion of food. Hmmm....fried rice with ox-tongue, first time knowing this combo. O.O
    Borscht Soup is quite common as a side for any main in any HK Cha Chan Teng, it is called Lor Song Tong in Cantonese.

    ReplyDelete