Friday 17 November 2023

Itek Itik

Before I get into Itek Itik, you all got to listen to my aunty stories first.

This morning I noticed that my bamboo plant is flowering.


Is this a sign of better times to come? I hope it is a good omen, not that I am superstitious or what.

So lets start with yesterday first. As usual, I went to the hospital.


Dad was and still is in the ICU. He was loads better yesterday compared to the day before - more energy and more lively. Also his speech was clear and audible.

About ten minutes in, my brother showed up and dad started telling us his old Telekom war stories (which we heard countless times before, there seems no end to it LOL!) Well, if he can recount his old Telekom stories, then we can be sure he is A OK!

We left after about half an hour to let dad rest. ICU patients need lots of rest.


My brother and I may be uncle and auntie but when we get together, we become total 8 year olds. 

We were at the finance department to check on the current balance of our dad's medical bill and to top up the deposit. It was a heart stopping amount but it is what it is. Private hospitals are blood suckers. I meant to write a post about these issues. Later lah.


Then we went for lunch. My brother was hankering for roast duck. Donald has cast a spell on us!


Drinks - my brother had the asam boi drink while my Kopi C came as Kopi O but I did not complain. As long as it has no sugar, I am good.


We both went full bore carnivore that day. Half duck for him and half duck for her. We also tapau one duck rice for mum.

And then today I met my brother at the hospital again. Unfortunately dad came down with an infection (and runny nose) and we had to wear protective gown and gloves to prevent cross infection. 

The dietician came by to advise that dad has to be on a high protein diet and that she will arrange for extra protein to be served with his chicken or fish porridge. See, protein is a very important macronutrient. 

We also went to the pharmacy to get extra diapers to top up dad's supply and to get him a tin of Ensure to supplement his food intake. 


Now we come to Itek Itik @ Damansara Jaya. My brother wanted me to come experience the ducks here.


The menu is quite extensive with many duck dishes but I did not snap photos of the menu.


My brother and I had a coconut each for our drinks.


Very refreshing! I haven't had coconut water in a while. When I came down with chicken pox many years ago, my partner made me drink one coconut a day until I had phobia for coconuts. I couldn't drink coconut water for many years after that, felt very jelak. Sorry, I digress.


There you go, my quarter duck (upper half, RM25.00). I wasn't feeling very hungry, hence the small order.


The style is different than Twins Signature Roast Duck but it was good in its own way. I particularly loved the chili dip which had bunga kantan in it. 


My brother had the Roast Duck Curry Chee Cheong Fun (RM26.80). I didn't know such a dish existed until today hah..hah... I did not taste the curry but I can tell that it must be good because my brother was clearly enjoying it (not his first time eating this).

Although I must honestly say that I prefer the roast duck at Twins Signature Roast Duck (my brother is of the same opinion) I won't mind having the roast duck here again. Like I said, it is good in its own way.

We also tapau one Smoked Chicken Rice (RM16.50) for mum. I don't know how that went, I must check with her tomorrow. Total damage RM92.72.

A little later in the afternoon after walking back to Damansara Utama ...........


Oh no! hee...hee...hee.... I was feeling a little peckish.


So I stopped by Yitcha Kaw Kaw Kopitiam for a fix tsk! tsk! tsk! One Kopi C ais kosong, my favorite Bursting Kaya Puff and a new found favorite Delicacy Salted Egg Yolk Puff.


I tasted the salted egg yolk puff first. It was freshly baked and ooh la..la...


I loved the lotus paste filling, it was soft and creamy and yes it was sweet obviously but not overwhelmingly so. The salted egg yolk added a salty and savory contrast to the sweet filling. 


The Bursting Kaya Puff, no need to say already, my all time favorite. As good as ever!


No guilt required as I headed off to the mall for my latest activity.


Escalator walking. There are three escalators (going up 5 floors) that transverse the length of The Starling. The idea is to walk up the 5 levels when the escalators are not occupied by other people.

So I look for a free escalator and climb up. If there are people (who are obstacles to my pathway), I look for another escalator and climb until I reach the top floor. Then I walk down using the same strategy.

I know you all think I am crazy but I was trying to mitigate the glucose spike after eating the pastries. In fact I overheard a lady outside a restaurant telling her friend "We walk lah after eating the sugar, hor?" I couldn't help smiling at that.


At the basement I found this.


Ah! This is where I can donate my unwanted fabrics!


This is a good initiative.


I have a lot of decluttering to do in my closet!

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing with us your day. Ah, all the food, do yummy. I must go eat the salted egg yolk pastry in yit char kaw kaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, extending life is expensive as all the equipments and the training the staff and doctors went through cost lots of time and resources. Without insurance, one of my friend got a shock when her father hospital bill went up to 200,k so she has to use public hospitals services after that because she needs to keep funds for her own age too. Luckily the public hospitals here are ok and affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true what you said. My dad was not wise enough to arrange for medical insurance cover when he was young.

      Delete
    2. During our parents time, medical insurance is not available, only life insurance I believe so they all don't have medical insurance. Now only got all sorts of medical insurance.

      Delete
  3. Prayers 🙏 for your father and your whole family! Stay strong 💪

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your brother's receding hairline! Still single and available...no intention of settling down? Duck curry? Never had that...but I did hear of goose curry in Penang, did not get to try. Chili dip with bunga kantan sounds awesome! I drink one coconut a day...will stock up in my fridge regularly, RM5 a coconut. Lots of health benefits! I do enjoy those teatime puffs - will buy and eat sometimes but not that often, gotta watch my blood sugar level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Coconut water is very rich in minerals and will replenish your electrolytes. It is so refreshing too especially during the hot spell.

      Delete
  5. From Donald Duck to Itek Itik...next will be Ngap Ngap? Lol. Last weekend when I was dining in Sri Petaling (at our go-to Korean BBQ) I happene to see Yitcha oppposite which I never noticed before (that's because we had to hang around outside waiting for a table for more than half an hour). Unfortunately, they were already closed at dinner time, otherwise I'd hop over to get me a bursting kaya puff...hehe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I am on a duck roll hee..hee... Ah, perhaps another opportunity you can go try the bursting kaya puff.

      Delete
  6. It's my first time see this roast duck & curry Chee Cheong Fun combination too, hehe :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother seemed to enjoy the curry duck CCF, so maybe next time I will try it.

      Delete