Sunday 12 November 2023

Air Fryer "Ayam Goreng Berempah"

These days I eat a lot of chicken. I have fallen in love with chicken again and just as well. Chicken is cheaper than beef and I am now on a budget.

I have been experimenting with ways to marinate deboned chicken legs. At the supermarket I pick up Aqina Pineapple Chicken because I am happy with the freshness and quality of the chicken.


To make the marinade for my version of air fryer "ayam goreng berempah" I use the following ingredients :

1. Two tablespoons cooking oil
- I use regular cooking oil. And if you think two tablespoons is too much, you can use just one.

2. Two teaspoons curry powder
- I use Baba's meat curry powder

3. One teaspoon garlic salt
- You can adjust according to your taste. I find one teaspoon is just nice. Of course you can use regular salt, then perhaps you can then add one teaspoon garlic powder to the marinade. Up to you.


4. One teaspoon onion powder

5. One teaspoon ginger powder

6. One teaspoon turmeric powder

Just mixed all the above together to form a loose paste.


Then I place two deboned chicken legs into a freezer bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Using my hands, I squish the chicken legs to spread the marinade all over the chicken legs.


Then the chicken legs go into the fridge to marinate overnight. The next day I take them out and let stand for one hour to come to room temperature.

To cook, I preheat my Ninja Air Fryer at 200C and set the time for 15 minutes.


I place the marinated chicken legs (skin side down) on a piece of baking paper and when the air fryer is ready, I just plonk the whole lot in.


These are air fried for 10 minutes and then flipped (skin side up) to cook for another 5 minutes.


Done!


The chicken is perfectly cooked, the edges of the skin are crispy and if you want crispy skin, it would be better to marinate the chicken in the fridge uncovered, skin side up. But I am not looking for crispy skin. I just want tasty chicken which is juicy and succulent.


This is obviously not the same of the usual "ayam goreng berempah" but the name is not misleading since it is air fried (goreng) spiced (berempah) marinated chicken heh...heh...


Air Fryer Spiced Marinated Chicken
Recipe source : PH

Ingredients :
- Two deboned chicken legs (I use Aqina Pineapple Chicken Chops)

For the marinade :
- Two tablespoons cooking oil
- Two teaspoons meat curry powder
- One teaspoon turmeric powder
- One teaspoon garlic salt
- One teaspoon onion powder
- One teaspoon ginger powder

Method :
1. Place the two chicken legs into a freezer bag.
2. To make the marinade, simply mix all the marinade ingredients together to create a loose paste.
3. Pour the marinade into the freezer bag and using your hands, squish the bag to spread the marinade to coat the chicken legs evenly.
4. Place the marinated chicken legs to marinate overnight in the fridge.
5. Before cooking, take the chicken legs out to come to room temperature. I leave it to stand for one hour.
6. Preheat air fryer to 200C
7. Place chicken legs (skin side down) on a piece of baking paper and air fry for 10 minutes and flip (skin side up) and air fry for another 5 minutes.

15 comments:

  1. The price of chicken is not controlled now so people are expecting it to go sky high, going to be as expensive as pork, beef or lamb, Lord have mercy on us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that's is a terrible prospect. So far so good, chicken is still affordable.

      Delete
  2. I would love to eat skins that are crispy hard like glass! Yours is called Ayam Angin Goreng Berempah. Fuyoh!! Now you endorse this brand Ninja Air Fryer to lure me to buy it.

    Beef is definitely too expensive to eat daily unless you keep 2 cows in your garden. Free fresh milk daily and fertilizer dung before become wagyu steaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love my Ninja air fryer. It is very well used. I don't think my neighbors will be too happy if I kept two cows on my garden hah..hah..hah...

      Delete
  3. It turned out sooooo good la PH. Well done 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Puan Hazel! Very sedap lor!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the recipe! I am sure the chicken is very tasty. I bought Aqina Pineapple Chicken many times during the lockdown period during the pandemic. It tastes good 👍😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most welcome! Thanks to you, I dicovered Aqina Pineapple Chicken.

      Delete
    2. You are most welcome 🤗

      Delete
  5. Hmmm... they look so good! I dont know what is Aqina pineapple chicken, I doubt they are any in Ipoh... but I can go to the wet market to ask the lengchai to do the deboning... hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I used to go to the market with my lahling to get deboned chicken legs. But I am really lazy to go to the market. I prefer supermarket hah..hah... Maybe if you look for it at the supermarket, you might be able to find Aqina Pineapple Chicken.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the recipe and I'll marinate the chicken uncovered because I want air fried chicken with crispy skin !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Please share when you make it :)

      Delete
  7. Your ayam goreng berempah don't quite look like the ayam goreng berempah I eat outside which really has a lot of rempah stuck to it but yours I'm sure is equally delicious. I think I saw this Aqina Pineapple chicken selling in Aeon too (you can get it from Shopee too)...will try one of these days to see if there's any taste difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure it won't look like or taste like the regular ayam goreng berempah. It is missing the fresh spices like lemongrass and galangal etc. Besides, we all know that nothing beats deep frying hee..hee...

      Delete