These days I eat a lot of chicken. I have fallen in love with chicken again and just as well. Chicken is cheaper than beef and I am now on a budget.
I have been experimenting with ways to marinate deboned chicken legs. At the supermarket I pick up Aqina Pineapple Chicken because I am happy with the freshness and quality of the chicken.
To make the marinade for my version of air fryer "ayam goreng berempah" I use the following ingredients :
1. Two tablespoons cooking oil
- I use regular cooking oil. And if you think two tablespoons is too much, you can use just one.
2. Two teaspoons curry powder
- I use Baba's meat curry powder
3. One teaspoon garlic salt
- You can adjust according to your taste. I find one teaspoon is just nice. Of course you can use regular salt, then perhaps you can then add one teaspoon garlic powder to the marinade. Up to you.
5. One teaspoon ginger powder
6. One teaspoon turmeric powder
Just mixed all the above together to form a loose paste.
Then I place two deboned chicken legs into a freezer bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Using my hands, I squish the chicken legs to spread the marinade all over the chicken legs.
Then the chicken legs go into the fridge to marinate overnight. The next day I take them out and let stand for one hour to come to room temperature.
To cook, I preheat my Ninja Air Fryer at 200C and set the time for 15 minutes.
I place the marinated chicken legs (skin side down) on a piece of baking paper and when the air fryer is ready, I just plonk the whole lot in.
The chicken is perfectly cooked, the edges of the skin are crispy and if you want crispy skin, it would be better to marinate the chicken in the fridge uncovered, skin side up. But I am not looking for crispy skin. I just want tasty chicken which is juicy and succulent.
This is obviously not the same of the usual "ayam goreng berempah" but the name is not misleading since it is air fried (goreng) spiced (berempah) marinated chicken heh...heh...
Recipe source : PH
- Two deboned chicken legs (I use Aqina Pineapple Chicken Chops)
For the marinade :
- Two tablespoons cooking oil
- Two teaspoons meat curry powder
- One teaspoon turmeric powder
- One teaspoon garlic salt
- One teaspoon onion powder
- One teaspoon ginger powder
1. Place the two chicken legs into a freezer bag.
2. To make the marinade, simply mix all the marinade ingredients together to create a loose paste.
3. Pour the marinade into the freezer bag and using your hands, squish the bag to spread the marinade to coat the chicken legs evenly.
4. Place the marinated chicken legs to marinate overnight in the fridge.
5. Before cooking, take the chicken legs out to come to room temperature. I leave it to stand for one hour.
6. Preheat air fryer to 200C
7. Place chicken legs (skin side down) on a piece of baking paper and air fry for 10 minutes and flip (skin side up) and air fry for another 5 minutes.