Thursday 24 August 2017

Bingsu, Anyone?


I have always been curious about Bingsu, the Korean shaved ice dessert. I see pictures of it plastered in cafes and places that specialize in Bingsu and they do look pretty attractive.

So I suggested to my brother that one day we should go and have one and see what it is all about.


Opportunity presented itself one day and off we went to Kory@The Starling after our wanton mee at Annie-1.


It was our first Bingsu and my brother selected the Passion Fruit Mango.


It looked delicious on the poster, passion fruit and mango, makes your mouth water does it not? 

We were shown two sizes, the individual and sharing bowl and we chose the individual portion to share.


So here it is. I think this size is just nice for two to share.


We dug in eagerly savoring the cold and refreshing sweet delight. The mango, passion fruit and mango ice cream were really lovely. But in enjoying the icy dessert, I was also in agony due to my sensitive teeth hee...hee...


As we dug deeper, the Bingsu became sweeter. Too sweet for us, in fact. What was hidden underneath had a milky taste and if I am not wrong, that was condensed milk (which I am not a fan of). 


There was also a sprinkling of peanuts/sliced almonds on the Bingsu but unfortunately, they were stale. Not crunchy and had an off-taste. 

In addition to the Bingsu, we also had a slice of Tiramisu cake.


It tasted mostly of the cream and there was no coffee taste to it. But it was a nice cake, just that it did not taste like Tiramisu.


So that was my virgin Bingsu experience. Frankly, I prefer ice kacang anytime.

30 comments:

  1. Your last sentence mirrored exactly what my friend said when we were at Table 9 Cafe (that had bingsu on their menu and that's why we didn't order any). I'm not a fan of bingsu for the exact same reasons you've put out here...too cold, too milky, too sweet! :P At least with ice kacang or cendol, the shaved ice comes with santan...hehe ;) I recently had a tiramisu to die-for! ^o^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High 5! I satisfied my curiosity and I doubt if I would have another one.

      Delete
  2. I quite grow to like it since the ice is not as coarse as ice kachang. We compact our ice here and has none of the fluffiness of bingsu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the bingsu ice is very fine and fluffy.

      Delete
  3. Tried the one here, mango. Can't say it got me all excited. Not cheap, RM10.00!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have walked in and out this eatery a few times while deciding to eat here or not and decided not to. Thanks for your review. When it comes to ice shavings desserts there are so many varieties. The bingsu I had at another eatery had off-taste nuts too. what a damper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe this Bingsu not really suit your tastebud. I've tried some quite good one like this http://www.choiyen.com/beans-n-beans-damansara-uptown/
    with flavoured shaved ice which don't have sudden sweet like the one you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm..I passed by here many times but I don't think I would want to try another bingsu.

      Delete
  6. I like to try delicious looking ice desserts but like you, I still prefer our own ice kacang anytime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Ais kacang is anytime better.

      Delete
  7. I never had that before. Seems nice leh

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tiramisu looked suspicous at firts glance and when I read your feelings about it, I kind of confirmed myself:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I should have suspected right from the start.

      Delete
  9. Tried bingsu once. Nothing to shout about. Just like any other cold ice dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bingsu ke nama dia? I pernah try jugak benda yg sama kat Hanbing Putrajaya. Tapi kat sana dia panggil Snow Ice LL.

    Sedap. I loike, tapi ais kacang pun i suka haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL tak minat sangat Bingsu. Hainom suka ya? LL teringat ada sekali Hainom post pasal makan snow ice. Tu lah yang buat LL teringin...

      Delete
  11. Hey I am a sweet and nice fella so I loved the Bingsu! My friend treated me there and ordered a huge bowl for 3. I don't recall eating the same Bingsu as yours as I remembered ours had mixed fruits. I had eaten other types of Bingsu elsewhere and in South Korea. It is supposed to be soft like snow and not too sweet. I am tempted to go back to Kory and take a good look at its menu as I missed looking when my friend was the host.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kory has many varieties of Bingsu. If you love Bingsu, then you should try all of them hee..hee..

      Delete
  12. eeks, stale ingredients would certainly mar the bingsu experience. i'm not a bingsu addict, but there are some nice ones when done well. maybe you're more a kakigori person :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only there were no condensed milk in it, I might like it :)

      Delete
  13. Oh..We have ais kacang, but at korea they called it bingsu, right?Look so mengancamlah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks nice tapi I tak suka sebab ada susu pekat manis.

      Delete
  14. both sedap sangat-sangat. baru tau bingsu tu ais kacang in korean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..dorang pun ada ais kacang :)

      Delete