Tuesday 22 August 2017

Horror Movie Date


It was nearing the weekend and I wanted to watch a horror movie. Stress relief lah as I had to work that Saturday. I usually book my ticket a day or two earlier but for this movie I hesitated.

I wanted to ask my brother to come along but I wasn't sure if the movie was good. If it wasn't, then I would be wasting his time.

Since this was a hantu movie, I had to make sure that there were other bookings in the hall before I made mine. You see, when I watched Wonder Woman, I was the only person in the hall. So I kept checking the bookings but no one seemed to be buying the tickets. Bah!

Then my brother paid me a visit and we made a date. Safer to go to a scary movie with a companion hee..hee....

Of course, no date would be complete without some makan first. 



We decided to visit Nicsmann by Lewre@The Starling because our sister-in-law gave it good reviews. The menu appears to be quite extensive offering anything from Western to Asian fare and some very attractive meat platters.



As usual, my brother had the Cafe Latte. It came with two packets of sugar which ended up in my handbag.



I was still suffering from the after effects of a late lunch at Home Kitchen the day before (I felt bloated), so I settled for warm water. I suspect Home Kitchen is no longer as healthy as they claim to be and some of their dishes now taste of heavy seasoning. Sorry, I digress.



My brother opted for the Braised New Zealand Lamb Shank. It was of a good size and very meaty. 



I tasted a little bit and I thought it was good. The meat was very tender and falling off the bone. Flavor wise it was very pleasing and in terms of portions, I would say it is good to share for small eaters.



Of all things, I chose the Hainanese Chicken Chop, a weakness of mine (one of many actually). If it's on the menu, I want it. 

The chicken leg was heavily battered and unfortunately the batter was slightly undercooked. It was still a bit doughy on the inside and would have done better with a few more minutes in the fryer.

The size of the chicken leg looks impressive but if you remove the batter, it's actually quite a modest portion.


As for the sauce, I was disappointed because it tasted heavily of ginger. The ginger overkill spoiled the sauce for me. 

I will still come back to try other items on the menu and hopefully my next choice would be something lots better.

After our meal, we went upstairs to MBO for our date with this girl :



Having watched the first movie, Annabelle (which I thought was less than stellar), I went in without any expectations and was surprised that Annabelle : Creation did deliver the scares. It's not fantastic but much better than anticipated.

After the movie, I went back to work and Annabelle : Creation was a distant memory. The younger me would have been spooked for days, well, not anymore.

Until on Sunday, when my mum recalled how she and my aunties (when they stayed at the old hospital quarters) used to hear dragging sounds from under the bed where my youngest auntie placed her doll. Great.


30 comments:

  1. Ya, my guess was you went to see Annabelle and I was right. No, thanks! Not into horror films...but that lamb shank, anytime! Looks so so good. Slurpssss!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. yes, the lamb shank was good. You would enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I don't like thick batter and I will remove it all and only eat the meat :(
    I will never watch horror movie in cinema because it's a waste as I will cover my eyes (half part) for the whole session LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I like the scary parts and will grab on to my seat.

      Delete
  3. I have been passing this Nicsmann many times but was undecided to try as the place was often empty. Maybe it was just my wrong timing. Now you have left your foot trails, so I trust your reviews to visit soon. I simple love its poshy and cozy ambiance.

    You know what?? The unseen love to hang out in cinemas since it is so dark and cold always with free pop corns & coke from you. What's more, they love to watch spooky movies about themselves esp Annabelle! Did anyone follow you back? Niak niak niak

    #AnnaHong #SedapNicsmann #Hongbelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weekdays, it is empty but I don't know about weekend dinner. I was early, so only 2 other tables were occupied.

      I knew you would say that and I believe you. After Wonder Woman, I felt tired and drained after leaving the hall. I think you know what lah, no need to say.

      Delete
  4. wah you are so brave! but I read a review that says the whole cinema laugh at the doll's stare because it looks funny and not scary. hhhmmm I am interested in the lamb shank. is it better than serai's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were mixed reviews which I read after watching the film. To me it was good. Serai's lamb shank is incomparable! Different seasoning. In fact my brother and I are thinking of going back to Serai for the lamb shank again hee..hee..

      Delete
  5. Have you eaten yuk kee or coliseum hainanese chicken chop? both eateries are famous for their hainanese chicken chop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, must go there one day to experience their food.

      Delete
  6. I thought you had a horror date but looks like it was just a horror movie (I heard this one is really scary...nope, no scary movies for me). I dare not try Nicsmann after I read the reviews on their Facebook! :P I didn't know you like Hainanese Chicken Chop so much (the one here doesn't look an authentic version though). If you like it so much, you must try to make your way to Yut Kee in the heart of KL. That and the one near Central Market (which closed in 2013 after 85 years in business) are the best I've ever eaten. The many I've tried dished out by cafes and restaurants can't hold a candle to these ones as most have an insanely thick batter coating which isn't nice at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. horror movie date, not horror date (that would have made a more interesting story!). After I read your comment, I checked Nicsmann FB and wah...so many bad reviews. I was early, so the service was OK though my chicken chop did take a while to arrive.

      I must make my way to Yut Kee, I did read about this place and it sounds like worth the trip to KL.

      Delete
  7. Hahaha

    That last paragraph scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, made me seram2 that evening! LOL!

      Delete
  8. I like Horror Movies too but it has been very long since I went to the cineplex for one. Watched Conjuring 2 in my own room last few days... made the volume lower cos too scary for me and my girl.. LOL...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to watch Conjuring 2 because I liked the first one hee..hee...

      Delete
  9. I did not know of this horror movie. But then again hotror or not, it would be much fun to have a movie companion along.

    Ooo. Lamb shank. I would like that. Not a fan of deep-fried chicken chop. Not with that thick coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since young I like horror movie hee..hee..

      Delete
  10. Yaiksss..ai tak suka horror movie, nanti I kept thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...dulu masa kecik2 memang takut for a few days. Sekarang ni tak berapa pulak.

      Delete
  11. I suka tengok cite seram mcm ni LL tp tulah .... husband tak suka. Kalau ajak mesti dia tak nak. Tak sangka husband i penakut rupanya hihi...

    Aduh...lapar terus memalam tengok chicken chop weyh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. ada orang tak suka tapi LL paksa partner tengok sama2 tapi kat TV lah.

      Delete
  12. Last time I watched The Ring and it haunted me for a few days, when I came back from the movie, I did not switch off the lights when I sleep, what to do I have a vivid imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also watched The Ring and the ghost is very scary hee..hee..

      Delete
  13. gosh ... a horror movie sounds stressful, not stress relief! :D isn't there a nice romantic comedy playing, heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. I am not into romantic comedy :D

      Delete
  14. Hahaha! Tau takut @_@

    Eleh, setakat Annabelle, I'm still okay. I love horror movie. Why don't you call me next time and be my partner. I hide under your skirt, you can also hide under my tudung. As simple as that ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! My mother lah punya pasal, cerita lama tu. So eerie!

      Delete
  15. not interested in movies, prefer eating more....the food pics are so tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not into movies for a while until MBO opened at Starling. Now I am kind of addicted to watching movies on the big screen with awesome sound system.

      Delete