Friday 11 August 2017

A Minty Coleslaw


When my mum visited recently, she brought me two containers of Kemangi/Selasih seeds (from my dad's garden).

Kemangi/Selasih is another variety of basil. I am sure you are familiar with Vietnamese basil (the one with purple flowers) and the one that my family and I prefer is the one with green flowers.

Archive photo. Kemangi is on the right.

Mum and I got to talking about how kemangi enhances the taste of salads and coleslaw (besides being a must-have in kerabu). In fact my mum also adds mint to her salads for lots of freshness.

Obviously, you have to love these herbs to enjoy it in your coleslaw or salads or else it would really spoil it for you >.<

Well, since I made fried chicken, what better to go with it than coleslaw. That's when I remembered my conversation with mum and and I went to my garden to pluck some mint. Unfortunately, I only have Vietnamese basil at my disposal (the kemangi seeds were only recently planted). 


I tossed some shredded cabbage, carrot, mint and basil leaves with salad cream (my family favorite is Heinz salad cream) and got me a nice bowl of very refreshing coleslaw. 

Hopefully I will have a few kemangi plants again in my garden that I can use not just for coleslaw but also for kerabu and...... wait for it..... Terengganu Laksa!

Note : Add the mint/basil only at the last minute before serving as it will turn blackish upon sitting too long in the salad.

27 comments:

  1. Most of my basil plants have died and only left the one with the purple flowers. I love your minty coleslaw but my hubby will "pening" if he smells mint leave or basil leaves. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee...yes, the smell is nice to us but unpleasant to others!

      Delete
  2. I like the taste of mint and basil leaves too. Would love to have a taste of your salad. Must go so well with your fried chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salad complemented the fried chicken beautifully!

      Delete
  3. Both of them I like, even if they are eaten raw... Basil leaves can be cooked with almost anything.. fried rice, minced pork, chicken, fish.. wahhh.. I must start planting them again, all dried up already after I left Ipoh.. must SOS Nancy for new stems. LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently replanted my basil and the tiny seedlings look promising :)

      Delete
  4. Mmmmnnnnn.... mmmnnnnn... Your minty coleslaw is so fragrant and sedap like BolehLand style. Nobody on earth had done this version yeah. I must experiment like yours since I have lots of basil plants which I could only think of Thai Green Curry.

    #RojakSayurGiler #KerabuSedapHarum #PHoriginal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Not everyone would love it though hee..hee..

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately my basil did not survive and died off. Even new plants did not survive. Sigh.

    Your salad must be interesting in taste. Could imagine the basil strong taste in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promised myself that I will look after my basil and not let them become extinct hah..hah...

      Delete
  7. Huurrmmm... bau herba! Menu sihat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macam fusion coleslaw dengan kerabu hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. Green flowers? I've the purple ones, very nice and fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My purple ones are not doing too well. Perhaps need some fertilizer.

      Delete
  9. I love those minty leaves, but I don't like those mind taste from mint ice-cream, mint chocolate or mint drinks. I just love eating mint raw from leaves or veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am same like you. No mint ice cream, chocolate or mint drinks. Don't like.

      Delete
  10. i actually have a balcony in my apartment, and sometimes i feel i should make use of it by planting some herbs, especially since i do love herbs. but laziness always gets the better of me. love how your coleslaw looks like a good, proper, nourishing salad, and not the fast-food kind, heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a perfect spot to grow herbs!

      Delete
  11. I bet the mint gives it a nice freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother in law suka dengan daun selasih ni. Tak tinggal sebut daun ni kalau makan Laksa Johor hihi...
    Aroma dia memang kuat...
    Budak budak mesti kurang suka...


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL pun minat daun selasih. Kalau letak dalam laksa, fuh! terangkat!

      Delete
  13. Hi Phong Hong, this salad should be good with any fried meat, maybe tempeh. Must try this combination.

    ReplyDelete