Wednesday 9 August 2017

Mummy's Fried Chicken


It was a last minute decision to make my mum's fried chicken one Sunday. 

I defrosted a packet of chopped chicken to cook Mongolian Chicken and figured that instead of cooking a whole lot of one dish, why not divide the chicken to cook a second dish.


This is not your typical heavily battered crispy and crunchy chicken. It's my mum's own concocted recipe which she uses to fry chicken for our Chinese New Year lunch/dinner when I was young.

When she fries a batch of chicken, I would be sure to stand beside her in hopes of getting a piece to taste, hot from the wok hee..hee..hee...


My mum also uses this same recipe to make chicken wings. I don't know why it has taken me so long to attempt mum's beloved fried chicken.

I fried only a small batch and did not let the excess batter go to waste. Can you spots those crispy bits? Naughty, eh?


Mummy's Fried Chicken
Recipe source : Phong Hong 

Ingredients :
- 400g chicken pieces 
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
-1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour

Method :
1. Mix all the ingredients together except tapioca four and let chicken marinate for about an hour (it's even better to marinate for a few hours or overnight)
2. When it is time to fry, add tapioca flour and mix to coat chicken pieces.
3. Heat oil in wok and deep fry the chicken until cooked and browned.

38 comments:

  1. Hi Phong Hnog, send over a few pieces please. hihihi...hot from wok sure taste finger licking good. Yours look so inviting.

    Have a nice day, regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia! I chiak all already, no more to send to you hah.hah..

      Delete
  2. looks so flavourful and delicious! I prefer fried chicken like this instead of those with thick batter on them. Have you cooked fried nam yue chicken before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fried nam yue chicken is on my to-do list!

      Delete
  3. Simple je ye LL..... bolehlah try nanti. Makan panas panas mesti bertambah nasi tu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try lah, Hainom. Boleh tahan sedap my mother punya fried chicken.

      Delete
  4. Those crispy parts are the best but I wonder why there are so much when there are so few chicken pieces...how much is 400g chicken...a chicken leg + a wing? The chicken looks scrumptious and the tapioca flour is what makes it crispy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just eyeballed the weight - about 2 chicken legs and then some.

      Delete
  5. ahhh... I like this! Mama's dishes are always authentic... Should have seen this post in the morning so that I can marinate them then... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh.....I wonder if we can get the chief chef to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot resist fried chicken but I cannot eat those freshly fried one, will sore throat >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Well, I don't have that problem hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. wah, with a dish like this, i'd be looking forward to the CNY meal too, or any meal. no need KFC! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee...my mum will be pleased to hear that!

      Delete
  9. I could tell from the colour of your fried chicken that it was really delicious and aromatic. When I was student I used to bake a few hundred chicken wings each time I threw a house party. I experimented with all kinds of ingredients available and the Americans loved them. The only thing I missed out was Oyster Sauce & tapioca flour! I had no idea what was oyster sauce when I was studying. You know what? In US the chicken wings are damn cheap parts that could sell for just US$2 for a whole tray or 20 pcs. Their giblet parts less than a dollar for whole tray!! You will go gila there.

    #MakAyamPH #SedapBerkokok #FingerLickinGood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading your comment, I feel like having chicken wings pulak!

      Delete
  10. The favourite of many, I'm sure. I prefer oven-roasted/baked, healthier...not so oily and cooking oil ain't all that cheap these days too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Roasting/grilling is much easier too.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe. I'm actually looking for a simple yet tasty fried chicken like this one. Will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Puan Hazel! I hope you like it :)

      Delete
  12. Wow, look nice. Simple one, also can try this. Haha. Want to try this, try that..but tak try2 pun lagi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..sama lah kita. I wanted to try your murtabak roti pun tak tertry.

      Delete
  13. Look so delicious, my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that looks delicious! I've got some chicken pieces hanging about in the freezer... I'm thinking it's time to haul them out and give this a whirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toby! Hope you like it!

      Delete
    2. Had it for lunch today.... have to tell you, absolutely the best "Asian Style " chicken I've had.. Jane is still raving about it

      Delete
    3. I am so pleased to hear that, Toby! You really made my day :)

      Delete
  15. Fried chicken anytime for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks yummy and simple as well. Shall be trying it out soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Phong Hong, no doubt these are great, wish I can grab some from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! Try it sometime, though I know you prefer not to deep fry :)

      Delete