Friday 25 August 2017

Sweet and Sour Pomfret


What? Fish again? Well, I had two pomfrets hibernating in the freezer. One became Ikan Goreng Sambal Lebur while its companion was turned into Sweet and Sour Fish.

It's one of my favorites at any Chinese restaurant be it a whole fish or fish fillets. And since I am quite adept at frying fish these days, I had no qualms frying another one.


The red, green and yellow peppers were leftovers from the Sweet and Sour Meatballs and I bought a pineapple to add on to the ingredients.

I am happy that my Sweet and Sour Pomfret turned out well, just a nice as the one at the restaurant, not that I am blowing my own trumpet hee..hee...

Sweet and Sour Pomfret
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 1 pomfret, make 3 slits on the sides of the fish
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/4 each red, green and yellow peppers
- 1 Holland onion, cubed
- 1/2 small pineapple cut into chunks

Sauce :
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 5 tbsp water

Thickener (mix together) :
- 1 tsp tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp water

Method :
1. To make the sauce, mix all the sauce ingredients together with the thickener. Set aside.
2. Dab the fish dry with kitchen towels and rub all over with tapioca flour.
3. Fry in hot oil until cooked and remove to a plate and set aside.
4. Remove some oil from the wok and stir fry the onions and peppers briefly.
5. Add sauce and bring to a boil. Add pineapple chunks and pour sauce over the fish.

41 comments:

  1. This is very mouth watering fish dish. Kids' favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish fillets would be best for kids :)

      Delete
  2. I'd love to add pineapples to a sweet and sour dish too but if I buy a whole pineapple, I end up probably using only one slice and don't know what to do with the rest. I'm sure your simple sweet and sour sauce tastes good but, unfortunately, my home-cooked sweet and sour sauce tastes nothing like the ones in restaurants as it doesn't have the restaurant-quality complexity, so I better stick to eating the ones outside...hehehe! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I buy those small crystal pineapple that are ready peeled. I use one slice and the rest I just eat over the next one to days hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. Fish, pineapples and sweet and sour sauce all I like. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pineapples! Do you know, I never bought pineapples before and cook... always buy them for putting in the mouth straightaway only.. in fact, just bought and eaten it.. next time I must buy and cook sweet sour fish just like you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only use to cook when making sweet and sour. Usually just makan like you do hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. Wah! I love sweet and sour fish anytime. I would love your plate with generous pineapple and peppers on top. Let me blow your trumpet that your cooking looked better than most restaurants. Serious!

    #TiupTrompetPH #IkanSedapGiler #ikanManisMasam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heh..heh..thank you for the generous compliments!

      Delete
  6. One of my childhood favourite dish! I still love this dish especially when there is pineapple cubes added to it! Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very vibrant-looking dish! i'm generally not a fan of sweet-&-sour dishes, so maybe i'll request you make a simple plain fried pomfret instead for me, heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I shall serve your plain fried pomfret with sambal lebur hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMg this looks so delicious, thanks for sharing
    have a nice day
    Best

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looking excellent delicious it ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only tried sweet and sour fish fillets before but not whole fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had both, prefer fillet as easier to eat :)

      Delete
  12. My favourite. I like in fillets as well as whole fish.

    I just fried black pomfret for lunch today. Lol. But not sweet sour sauce. In caramelized onion with dark soy sauce and sugar. My family's favourite.

    Happy weekend to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have taken my lunch, but drooling over the fish...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still havent gotten over my fear of deep frying stuff, must learn from you. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure the fish is fairly dry to minimize the "explosions" hee..hee..

      Delete
  15. Lovely...my fav as well. Just wondering, do you marinate the fish in anything? Or just the flour and fry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fish does not require marinating. Just coat with the flour and fry away!

      Delete
  16. I pun suka pomfret ni... isi dia sedap ah!

    I kalau masak sweet sour kan LL...tak de langsung accessories hihi... Botak licin..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baru ni i ada beli ikan ni kat JJ. Seekor Rm12 henggit! Terkejut you

      Delete
    2. Mahal, kan? Itu lah pasal LL jarang makan fish ni. Stail Hainom buat botak licin tu pun OK. Ada orang lebih suka plain tak payah sayuran bagai.

      Delete
  17. Pomfret ni bawal emas kan, dah bawal emas mestilah Mahal. Ikan sweet sour mmg nice, siakap, bawal hitam also good.
    My children ask me ikan masak paprik, you think can do or not? Can try lah kan, Mana tau kalau sedap kan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try lah, ticer. Mana tau sedap sampai budak2 makan tak cukup :)

      Delete