Monday 28 August 2017

So Bloody. So Good.


One evening my brother surprised me with a suggestion for dinner. We already met up for lunch and a movie the previous weekend but I certainly do not mind having another makan session with him.

In fact, my brother was hankering for steak at The Ship but that weekend we could not go there because they open at 12:00pm and our movie was at 1:00pm. I guess he was very determined to visit The Ship hence our dinner.


As usual, I prefer water but apparently, The Ship no longer serves water on the house. So I had to get a bottle of mineral water. My brother had the Chocolate Milkshake which we found to be very mild and diluted.

For our mains, we selected from the Chef's Recommendation. My brother chose the Charbroiled Sirloin Steak while I had the Charbroiled Rib Eye Steak. We both asked for our steaks to be done medium rare.

The steaks come with a bowl of salad. My brother's with Thousand Island dressing....


....and mine with French Dressing.


I must commend the server for being generous with the dressing. I hate under dressed salads.


My Charbroiled Rib Eye Steak. Quite a good portion served with broccoli, tomato, corn on the cob and baked potato.


I love the baked potato, topped with sour cream, beef bacon and spring onions.


So, did the chef get medium rare right?


Oh yes, he did!


The steak was very juicy and tender except for some parts which were quite sinewy. 


Is this how you eat your corn too?


My brother's Charbroiled Sirloin Steak. I must make it a point to learn the difference between different cuts of steak. Right now, I only know how to eat.


This is my bro insulting the chef with copious amounts of chili sauce.


He can't help it. He loves chili sauce.


What's a nice dinner without dessert? We shared a Brownie which was dense and gooey and chocolaty, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. Bliss!

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the steaks because the last few times I was there, the steaks weren't outstanding. In fact I even thought that The Ship had lost its luster. We'll be back for sure and hopefully the steaks stay that way.

33 comments:

  1. The Ship! Been around since time immemorial but I've never been - even though I always stayed close by, all the hotels at Bukit Bintang. I hear it is dark, very dark, can't snap great pics...but yours are ok? Yes, everyone praises their food to the skies, consistently good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it used to be very dark inside. But they seem to have lighted up the place these days.

      Delete
  2. Heard so much about The Ship's steak but have not have chance to taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not stepped into The Ship for years. The Ship, together with Victoria Station, has been around for at least 30 years and these two were known to be the best steaks in town...then...I now prefer the newer steakhouses that offer flavourful steaks (and have a new love for Japanese steaks). I actually find The Ship's steaks cut too thinly thereby getting the desired doneness can be inconsistent. Ribeye is my fav cut as it's more marbled (also more tender and expensive) than sirloin but then some prefer sirloin coz it's lean. The last time I had steaks in The Ship & Victoria Station, I also found them to have sinewy parts that I hate (since you mentioned that they seemed to have improved, maybe I should give them a try again?). Unfortunately, from all my eating escapades because of food blogging, my taste buds have been elevated that I now need steaks that comes with a natural good flavour in them! ;D P/S: Yes, I eat corn that way too...when I'm dining outside....look more refine mah! Hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean, your tastebuds more atas now hee..hee... Same here, though I haven't attained atas taste for steaks yet :) For example, when it comes to say, ramen, I know to avoid certain places because I know it won't have the standards that I have become accustomed to.

      Delete
  4. This is some nice looking steak. I should try it when I get up north. But the salad has way too much salad sauce for my liking..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahoy The Ship! Pirates Hong & brother sailed there to makan yummy steak. I also have not sailed there to eat for many years now. Time to visit and rekindle my childhood memories! I used to eat their cheap set lunches in Penang during school days. I think they have one real ship replica which is harboured at Batu Ferringhi Beach. I always have issues with their parking space at Uptown that diverted my choice elsewhere.

    #PirateHongPH #PiratesOfUptown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the one in Penang, but just passed by only, did not get a chance to go inside. Cam park at Starling and walk a bit mah.

      Delete
  6. The very few times I eat steaks I ordered tenderloin (filet mignon) because I read that it is the most tender cut. My teeth can't take the sinewy parts. Long time I have not been to The Ship. Did you cut the corns off the cob? Looks like they have been pulled out instead of cut out because I see from the photos the corn niblets almost all have ends to them, not cut half way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I cut the corn off the cob. My brother was the one who taught me to do it that way when dining out.

      Delete
  7. Reading your post in s taxi, so terribly hungry 😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my! I didn't have my lunch today. So lapar looking at the steak. I also tau makan aje, I don't know the the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MD, don't skip lunch unless you puasa :)

      Delete
  9. Indeed the steaks look so juicy.. salivating la! Must go for dinner now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that steak!

    But for me, your salad has way too much dressing. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lama tak makan steak weyh!...
    Selalunya makan steak kedai bawah pokok je LL so chef tak tanya pun nak rare ke atau nak medium ke atau nak welldone. Main suka hati dia hantar je hihi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kedai bawah pokok pun OK juga boleh tahan :)

      Delete
  12. Recently I have been eating western food for a change (mushroom sauce chicken chop is my favourite)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a big portion of the steak

      Delete
    2. The portion is just nice so that can eat dessert after that :)

      Delete
  13. My favourite doneness for steak would be medium as I dare not eat meat which is too bloody (lamb or beef):P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was some blood but I just close my eyes and eat hee..hee...

      Delete
  14. i like medium rare steak and it has to be tender...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steak with black pepper source, yummy.

    ReplyDelete