Tuesday 10 September 2024

The "Fishing Trip" That Wasn't

On one of my walkabouts, I came upon this restaurant called The Fishing Cafe.

Naturally I was curious. Looking at the menu displayed at the ground floor entrance I was attracted to the chicken chop and beef striploin, although I may have reservations ordering steak at a non-steakhouse (due to not so positive experience).


I was also keen on the grilled lamb chop.


Now, the photos of the chicken chop and grilled lamb were taken on my earlier walkabout (which was in the evening).


One weekday I walked up to the restaurant at lunch time to find a small cosy space. At the time the server was attending to a group of diners. I found a table for two and sat there. The server was too busy to notice me.


So I scanned the QR code for the lunch menu.


Pasta.


Rice.

More pasta and rice. And that was it. Bah! So lunch menu is limited. No chicken chop. No grilled stuff. So I left.


I had to go elsewhere. Then I passed by Hot Bird. Wah! Lunch time also got queue.


One day I must come to Hot Bird to see if the food really warrants such long queues. But then, got to queue. Haiz.


Then I passed by this Ci Xin Signature.


Rice dishes.


Noodle dishes. Nope.


Then I was shocked to see Mr Wu close down. This was the new location they moved to in 2023. At the old location (along same row as Telekom) they were doing roaring business. 


Another casualty was Kean Seng Kopitiam. I heard from a friend of a friend that this kopitiam closed because they were unable to generate enough revenue to keep afloat.


Maybe I should not be so surprised because this row of shops (same row as the Balai Polis) do not get much foot traffic.

The energy here is low and many businesses open and then close shortly after. In fact one Korean fried chicken restaurant lasted for something like 7 or 8 months before disappearing.

Even worse is the row behind these shophouses. You may see many cars parked outside but the business goes elsewhere.


However if you go further along, the Public Bank row is doing well. That's where RT Pastry and TK Bakery are located. But the same can't be said for the back row which is really dead. 

Well, if anybody wants to open a restaurant in Damansara Utama/Uptown, avoid the "dead zones" even if the rental is attractive. If you are not sure, you come ask me hah..hah..hah...

So I ended up here for lunch.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update on shops in uptown. Ah, I was supposed to eat the beef noodles in Kean seng but always prioritise some alternative shops when I was in uptown so never been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok that you missed it. I am sure that there are better beef noodle shops elsewhere.

      Delete
  2. So, nothing you could fish out of the fishing cafe...lol. Looks like Mr Wu made a wrong decision in moving out of a "ong ong" place and had to close. That's why location is very important if you want to succeed in the food business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I would have to come dinner time for the dishes I was eyeing. Oh ya, location is key. Those located at sectors that are very ong do very well. At Damansara Uptown, that would be the row along Affin Bank - middle part only. The front end and back end of that row not so good >.<

      Delete
  3. I heard good things about Hot Bird and I must try it out one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, you go and queue up and let me know whether justified or not. LOL!

      Delete