Wednesday 11 September 2024

My Typical Dinner

In my house there is no carbs to be found anywhere in the kitchen or the pantry.

The only (low) carb items would be unflavored kefir, yogurt and kimchi


I was on a freezer clean up to eat things that have been in the freezer for a long time. No point keeping them for extended time because it will affect the quality and taste.


I have some pieces of sirloin steaks in the freezer and I was very "sayang" to eat them. But now that my finances have eased up a little bit, I shall eat these and buy fresh stock.


Now I cook my steaks in the air fryer. Unless weekends when I have more time, I may use the cast iron pan.


The cast iron is ideal because you get a good crust on the steak unlike the air fryer. But the air fryer is a lot more convenient. To hell with the crust hah..hah..hah..


This steak is about 300g (approximately one inch thick) and I cooked it at 200C for 8 minutes (4 minutes per side) and added another 2 minutes after prodding it with the tip of the tongs to feel the doneness.


So far I have been able to get medium rare quite accurately.


All the steak needs is just salt and black pepper. Sometimes I also add butter for the oomph factor.


Very juicy!


I now have a preference for sirloin instead of ribeye.


I like the fat cap on the sirloin, besides sirloin is cheaper than ribeye. Grass fed ribeye tends to be very lean and I prefer fattier meat.


Nowadays when Feast Market has promotions, I buy the whole block (3.5kg-4.0kg) and request for the steak to be sliced to one inch thickness.


Each slice will be vacuum packed and they usually deliver chilled but I request for them to deliver frozen.


So far the steaks from Feast Market are the best though they are on the pricier side. I guess you have to pay a bit more for quality and it is worth it.

I know that my typical food at home may seem very boring. But it's delicious and enjoyable to me. Fast and easy to prepare and very nutritious too.

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean by "sayang" to eat them. Very often I very sayang to eat my favourite food that I have kept in my fridge for a long time because they are my favourite food. 😋

    You are the expert in steaks. If I ever want to eat steaks full time I will follow your advice and buy them from feast market. Can see from your photos that they are good quality steaks. 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you are the same. Actually we should just eat because might forget and the food expired >.<

      Not really expert but I improved from experience. I have tried other suppliers (cheaper) but the steak was not good. Some were so tough even though I did not overcook.

      Delete
  2. I can't find herbs of this brand in Aeon, maybe I should try Jaya or Village Grocer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I couldn't find it at Aeon too. You should be able to get from Jaya Grocer.

      Delete
  3. No carbs in the house? But your poor partner can't live without rice...lol. I guess he's resigned to eating out these days since no more carbs = no more homecooked food! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kesian the fella, right? wahahahaha!!!

      Delete