Tuesday 24 September 2024

Castella Cake

During my early days of blogging (and baking), this cake was the rage.

Many (baking) bloggers were baking and posting this cake on their blog. I was rather intrigued because it seemed like such a delicate and complicated cake to bake.

It took some bakers many attempts and tweaking to get it right. Heck, you even need a wooden baking pan to bake this cake.

Well I had already murdered one too many Japanese Cheesecakes and I am not going to add another victim to my list.


Fast forward 12 years later, this here in my hand is the famous Fukusaya Castella Cake, all the way from Japan.


My brother (YB#1) took his wife to Japan on her birthday (which explains the cake). So nice right? I will still be stuck in Damansara Uptown on my birthday wahahahaha!!! Never mind lah. I got no luck. Tsk!


The cake was very well packed and securely wrapped.


This is how the cake looked like after it was unwrapped. Very dark brown crust and ready-sliced. There was a plastic wrap on top and I almost ate it >.<


I was quite eager to taste this cake to see what the hoo hah was all about (yeah, I waited for more than 10 years).


Oh! It was a very nice cake - moist with tender crumb. It's pretty much like a sponge cake but more compact and more moist. This Castella cake was on the sweet side but not the type of sweet that makes my eyes pop.

Well, I have now tasted a Castella cake that came all the way from a bakery in Japan. Yes, it was a good cake. But no, I'm (still) not going to attempt to bake this hah..hah...

Anyone who is interested, you can find the recipe here :



2 comments:

  1. Nice! It always feels good to receive a gift or souvenir from friends or family be it expensive or not. It is the thought that counts. The cake looks tasty and after your verdict confirm chop it is good. But I have no luck like you too cos Japan has never been in my bucket list due to the risk of frequent earthquakes and typhoons in their region, I am not that brave lah lol. My youngest sister and her hubby with their friends once went Tokyo and run into typhoon there but luckily they were able to find alternative accommodation elsewhere with the help of a local Japanese friend and all came home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you photoed this cake gift from your brother and wifey and the way you "documented" it shows how much you treasure this thought and gift from them.

    ReplyDelete