Sunday 23 September 2018

Dhall Gone Wrong


It is 6:25pm Sunday when I finally sit down in front of my PC to write this post (wah, posting in real time!). From the time I got home from my morning grocery run, I have been on my feet doing my epic cooking.

On Saturday I cooked a batch of dad's chicken porridge. I could have cooked another batch of porridge but I ran out of minced pork. I was too tired to get started on another dish, so I put it off and instead baked a failed cheesecake because I missed baking.

Nah look, my funny cheesecake.


Yes, there will be a post on that if I can find time to write. But right now, let's look at my dhall curry. Anyone likes dhall? Nice to colek dip with roti canai.


Most of the time, the dhall curry that I find at restaurants tend to be very watery. I can hardly see any dhall in there. And since it is something that my mum likes to eat, I cooked it for her some weeks ago and I got very good reviews hee..hee...

I was unable to take proper photos of the dhall curry I cooked earlier due to lack of time. So today I was determined to get it done. I washed and soaked the dhall (for an hour) this morning and then dumped the soaked dhall, bone broth, diced carrots, minced garlic, turmeric powder and ginger powder (I ran out of fresh) into the crock pot.

By the time I got home from grocery shopping, my dhall curry was nicely simmering away. Then I got the case of itchy fingers and decided to add some mung dhall into the pot. That made my dhall curry very thick (I should have added some water) and I left it to cook for too long. It ended up all thick and mushy like baby food.


But still, I carried on and tempered some cumin and sliced onions with ghee to add to the dhall for the final touch. And yes, I seasoned the curry with salt, if fact too much salt. Bah! It was salty but not super salty but I cannot let mum eat this because she has high blood pressure. So this batch of dhall, I will keep for myself.

But hey, it tasted very good. I will be cooking another batch next weekend for mum and then I will share the recipe.

All right, I've got to go and catch up on my blog hopping. And perhaps some TV for relaxation. I hope you had a good weekend.

24 comments:

  1. Ah Hong Chee, I am early today, any reward for me when you make the next batch next week? Lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come,come. Remember to bring the prata. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Your cheesecake not funny, if me, will be totally disaster...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dahl anything but not great at cooking it. So I always cheat with bryani spice which has everything thing in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an easy dish to cook. Let me share the recipe later.

      Delete
  4. I am shocked that you actually updated your blog on a Sunday!! Muahahaha
    I agree that most restaurants serve watery or lousy dhall curries. Sadly the better ones are prepared at the buffet tables at big hotels. Their dhall curries are so delicious that I could drink them like soups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lor...these days so busy I reckon best to update in the evenings.

      Delete
  5. I am hungry just looking at your dhall. Your cheesecake looks okay to me wah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. The cheesecake looked ok but was funny tasting.

      Delete
  6. It looks really good - I like it like that, thick and rich and creamy. My missus' Japanese baked cheesecake, yesterday's post in my blog, turned out great - finished in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it like that too. Nice to eat with toast. Saw your missus' cheesecake. It's a beauty!

      Delete
  7. I like to eat dhall but eating in moderation due to the ghee in it. Yours look good though I cannot take too salty food. Bravo for cooking for your parents! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement :) I mix olive oil with some ghee. I find ghee by itself too strong.

      Delete
  8. I used to dip my roti canai with dhall but now I prefer fish curry, hehe :P My girl who cannot take spicy food like to have her roti canai or tosai with dhall~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish curry gravy is nice too with roti canai.

      Delete
  9. Dhall (not fish curry) is always my preferred choice when it comes to roti canai. Your dhall looks brownish, unlike the more yellowish ones I'm accustomed to at mamak stalls. It's funny sometimes how a successful recipe we've cooked before can turn out differently during another cook (I've experienced that myself). Hoping your next dhall session will turn out as you expect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the brownish color comes from the fried onions which I added at the end of cooking. I have had experience where a dish turns out different on different occasions. Haiz... hah...hah...

      Delete
  10. that's my type of dhall, thick and not watery. I can eat this with rice, roti canai and even bread...yummmilicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good. Nice and thick and not watered down like the mamak shop ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was good though a bit too thick.

      Delete
  12. I have been taking capati and naan for the past week, three times to be exact and I love your thick dhall to go with them! Those sold outside are usually watery (cos its free with the tosai?) and I wouldn't mind paying more a more thicker version of this! Yummmss... Should I do it myself one day? Naw... too much work for me... LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love capati and naan! This dhall is easy lah. Just dump into crock pot but don't cook too long and must put enough broth. If I remember correctly, you cooked rasam once.

      Delete