Tuesday 18 September 2018

Seminar Food


Every now and then, I have to attend seminars to fulfill the Continuing Education Program for my profession. These seminars are held at hotels either in KL or PJ. And when there is a seminar, there is a lot of food.

There is breakfast, mid-morning tea break, lunch and afternoon tea break. And how good is the food depends on where the seminar is held. 

I attended a seminar at PJ Hilton not too long ago. Coincidentally, my brother also attended another seminar at the same hotel. So inevitably, we compare notes about the food (and not the seminar topic).

This was my brother's breakfast.


Coffee and fried noodles. Like his sis, he likes pickled green chilies too.

Then later I was updated with this pic of his desserts. Whoa!


 Now my turn.


If there's Indian, that's what I'll have. Nasi briyani, mutton masala, aloo gobi and salad. That's just round 1. Round 2 no need photo lah.

And now desserts.


The cakes were on the dry side except for the very moist chocolate pudding (the shiny piece at the back). The watermelon was just for decoration.

Then on the second day, I spotted a corner for Sarawak food. There was Sarawak Laksa but I skipped that. Instead, I zoomed in for the Dabai Fried Rice and Ayam Pansuh. I have been very curious about these two dishes.


I can't really make much out of the Dabai Fried Rice as there is not much dabai content.


The Ayam Pansuh however was delicious, though a bit salty. I taste ginger in it. I must look for the recipe.


And coffee during the afternoon break. I had 6 shots of espresso (which wasn't a good idea) to stay awake alert because accounting standards are very technical and you need coffee to absorb what the trainer is saying.

Needless to say, the overdose of espresso kept me awake the whole night. Bah! I should go slow on my coffee breaks.

20 comments:

  1. I used to attend such seminars but one thing I don't like is the break. Stuffed with food! Made me sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't eat during the break because I save my stomach for the buffet lunch hah..hah...

      Delete
  2. your food looks better than your brother's. I like your round 1 food. Is your round 2 food the same as your round 1 food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Round 2 was different food hee...hee...

      Delete
  3. Once upon a time, that leading hotel was supposed to have the best chefs in town. Their supper buffets was so famous that I was often there with friends after midnight clubbing days.

    I think your breakfast was better than what your brother had probably due to the higher fees paid for the seminar. I felt that hotel should be serving a better array of food than this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love their buffet years ago. It was much better then.

      Delete
  4. never been to PJ Hilton for seminar, the closest to 'Hilton' that I went was DoubleTree in Intermark KL. Food was not bad, but I tink it mostly depends on the fees paid for the seminar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually they will arrange for us to eat at the coffee house buffet.

      Delete
  5. I've had my fair share of good and not good seminar food. I like those where we can join in the normal buffet offered by the hotel's coffee house rather than those specially catered lunch where the food has limited choices. Which one was yours? There were only 4 breaks but you managed to down 6 cups of coffee...no wonder you couldn't sleep! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is at the coffee house. I have been to some where the lunch is specially catered. Some were quite good, but still buffet at the coffee house is best, if they offer good selections. I have been to some buffets where there are many varieties of food and yet there is nothing worthy to eat.

      Delete
  6. Go seminar but think of food lol.

    Your brother's desserts look good.

    Used to attend many media events where there are a lot of food too, those days advertisers spend big money and media owners have the budget to treat us eat good food, miss the good old days

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! The mutton masala looks gorgeous. We had that the other night - post on it in my blog coming soon. Sarawak food, eh? I'm impressed but yes, the dabai fried rice looked so pale - I wonder if it had any dabai in it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the ayam pansuh but I think they were stingy with the dabai.

      Delete
  8. Wah, pretty appetizing stuff! I hate seminars, but this food would probably ease my sense of dread a bit :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone is free at the start of the seminars but after the morning break and lunch, most will be trying to keep their eyes open after a heavy meal. Buffet style tends to make us eat more than necessary! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree hah...hah... we tend to want to maximize what we can eat :D

      Delete
  10. The Indian food looks great. I agree PJ Hilton's buffet used to be one of the best. As i have retired from accounting, I don't go for CPD's anymore so I miss out on all these yummy food at seminars...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Th eIndian food was excellent. Always my favorite. I am sure you don't miss the seminars hee...hee..

      Delete