After I bought a bottle of Nando's Peri-Peri Sauce and made my own Nando's chicken, I went on to buy another two bottles - the Lemon and Herb and Garlic.
Coincidentally, after my purchase, I had the opportunity to go to Nando's for dinner. Hah! That was my chance to finally get a taste of Nando's chicken after so many years.
So here it is.
My partner's platter. Quarter chicken with Mediterranean rice and fries. I chose the mildest sauce for him since he cannot tolerate hot chilies.
And mine, quarter chicken with coleslaw and roasted vegetables.
I chose Mango and Lime sauce which was very nice but they gave so little of it. I suppose I could have requested for more but the chicken was so dry and powdery, no amount of sauce was going to make it taste any better.
My partner kept complaining that the chicken was not fresh and lamented that Kenny Roger's chicken is much better hah..hah...
I guess we won't be visiting again.
Now back to my DIY Nando's chicken. For the marinade, this time I used this Piri Piri seasoning.
I rubbed the chicken all over with a mixture of this seasoning and olive oil. Then the chicken was left in the fridge to marinate overnight.
When I roasted the chicken (I used half chicken) I used Nando's Lemon & Herb sauce for basting.
The end result was more than satisfactory since the chicken was fresh and moist and well marinated. I roasted some broccoli, cherry tomatoes and zucchini to serve.
I used extra sauce for dipping and I like the tangy spicy sauce. So it looks like I enjoy Nando's chicken after all, but only if I cook it myself.
Roasted Chicken with Lemon & Herb Peri Peri Sauce
Recipe source : Phong Hong
- 1/2 chicken
- 2 tbsp Piri Piri seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Nando's Lemon & Herb Peri Peri sauce
1. Mix Piri Piri seasoning with olive oil and rub this mixture all over the chicken.
2. Leave the chicken to marinate in the fridge overnight.
3. Before roasting, take out from fridge to come to room temperature.
4. Place chicken on a wire rack and roast at 200C for 40-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Baste the chicken with the Peri Peri sauce every 10 minutes or so.