Monday 27 August 2018

Nando's Tastes Better At Home


After I bought a bottle of Nando's Peri-Peri Sauce and made my own Nando's chicken, I went on to buy another two bottles - the Lemon and Herb and Garlic

Coincidentally, after my purchase, I had the opportunity to go to Nando's for dinner. Hah! That was my chance to finally get a taste of Nando's chicken after so many years. 

So here it is.

My partner's platter. Quarter chicken with Mediterranean rice and fries. I chose the mildest sauce for him since he cannot tolerate hot chilies.


And mine, quarter chicken with coleslaw and roasted vegetables. 


I chose Mango and Lime sauce which was very nice but they gave so little of it. I suppose I could have requested for more but the chicken was so dry and powdery, no amount of sauce was going to make it taste any better.

My partner kept complaining that the chicken was not fresh and lamented that Kenny Roger's chicken is much better hah..hah...

I guess we won't be visiting again.

Now back to my DIY Nando's chicken. For the marinade, this time I used this Piri Piri seasoning.


I rubbed the chicken all over with a mixture of this seasoning and olive oil. Then the chicken was left in the fridge to marinate overnight.


When I roasted the chicken (I used half chicken) I used Nando's Lemon & Herb sauce for basting.


The end result was more than satisfactory since the chicken was fresh and moist and well marinated. I roasted some broccoli, cherry tomatoes and zucchini to serve.


I used extra sauce for dipping and I like the tangy spicy sauce. So it looks like I enjoy Nando's chicken after all, but only if I cook it myself. 


Roasted Chicken with Lemon & Herb Peri Peri Sauce
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 1/2 chicken
- 2 tbsp Piri Piri seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Nando's Lemon & Herb Peri Peri sauce

Method :
1. Mix Piri Piri seasoning with olive oil and rub this mixture all over the chicken.
2. Leave the chicken to marinate in the fridge overnight.
3. Before roasting, take out from fridge to come to room temperature.
4. Place chicken on a wire rack and roast at 200C for 40-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Baste the chicken with the Peri Peri sauce every 10 minutes or so.

25 comments:

  1. Definitely yours beat Nando's! Haha.

    Such pity that the chickens weren't nice. Geez. Hope their quality didn't drop. Long time I didn't eat in Nando's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice both you and your partner had the upper quarter which is the breast and wings. Those are for people likeme who likes dry and firm meat. You need to request for the lower quarter part which is thigh and drumstick which will be juicy and smooth. There are bottles of nando sauces in the eatery for you to freely add on more sauces to your chicken. guess the staff there did not tell you this. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The server did not ask and I forgot that we could request for the leg part. I saw bottles of the sauces but I was not in the mood to add more :(

      Delete
  3. I always order the drumstick quarter while my husband prefers the wing quarter (coz it has more meat since the wing is attached to a large piece of chicken breast). Obviously, the wing portion is drier and my husband will squirt extra sauce on them. But I believe yours will be tastier than Nando's as your fresh chicken (from the wet market, I assume) also has a lot more seasoning.

    How is it your presentation on the tray is so neat? Mine will ooze out juices, both from the chicken and tomatoes, and the baking paper will be burnt and browned around the edges...unless your contents were lifted out onto another tray for photo taking...wuahahahaha! ;) Eh, where did that extra chicken leg come from? And which stomach did it end up in?....kekeke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot that we could request for the bottom quarter :( My chicken, heh..heh.. yes, market chicken and the breast was nice and juicy.

      You got that right, I transferred the chicken and veges to a clean tray hee..hee... That chicken leg came from that half chicken. I finished all in two days...some I made into salad :)

      Delete
    2. I applaud your chopping skills to be able to cut off the leg so cleanly and neatly. For me, I have to buy the chicken leg already chopped off to begin with....kekeke! ;D

      Delete
  4. Lemon, herb and garlic sounds like something I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when r u opening a "Nando's" restaurant? I will be ur first customer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks So good :) Yummy. I myself also prefer the Lemon & Herb sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I like this sauce too. Better than the other one.

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, love using Nando's peri peri sauce for baking chicken too! One of my favourite sauces definitely! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought Nando's peri-peri sauce but I cannot remember exactly which one I bought and it was not nice. So yours was nicer with the piri-piri seasoning? But that's not Nando's, right? That was why you had an edge over what you had at the shop...and frankly, theirs does not even look nice. My girl loves Nando's though - I'm not so into franchise places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes much better with the piri piri seasoning. Perhaps you can make it at home like I did.

      Delete
  9. Lemon and herb sauce sounds good, definitely diy looks better than the restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am now interested to use this recipe...first, I need to get the piri-piri seasoning and the peri-peri sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easily available at the supermarket. Hope to see your Nando's chicken hee..hee....

      Delete
  11. Ah Hong Chee, when are you going to invite me over to your place? Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nando's is my fav chicken joint since my first tried about 15 or 20 years ago :P
    If you feel your chicken is too dry when u dine in at Nando's, there are peri-peri sauce in different flavours ready for you.

    ReplyDelete