Wednesday 22 August 2018

Char Koay Teow King (Authentic Penang Char Koay Teow)@Damansara Uptown


This restaurant is somewhere opposite UOB Bank in Damansara Uptown. Previously, as in just a few months ago, this shoplot was occupied by a place selling noodles.

Penang Char Koay Teow (CKT) is so iconic that when you see a restaurant with a name like this, you would probably be very excited if you are a fan. I was no different and at the first possible opportunity, I visited with high expectations.

When you go inside, head straight to the counter to place your order.


This is what is on the menu :


Each order comes with a free drink of lo han guo or pat poh.

I picked the CKT with Duck Egg (RM13.00) and lo han guo since I don't know what is pat poh (both are black in color).

I was given this buzzer which is quite common these days.


I took a sip of the lo han guo while waiting.


Adoi. So sweet. I can't drink this.


The place was quite merry with some uncles and aunties getting together for a good old time.


Soon my buzzer beeped and it was time to get my food.


It looked promising, Now where are the cockles?


Got, got. A few small ones which I dug out to show you.


Three medium sized prawns. And now for the taste test.


It was sadly lacking in the coveted "wok hei" aroma and in terms of flavor and taste, I'm afraid it was rather ordinary. A pale and lackluster rendition of a beloved Penang specialty.

One visit is enough for me.

I was still hungry. So I walked a few doors away to my favorite hangout for more food (and drink).



Cheap and good.



So stuffed and so satisfied.



Now you know why I can't stay slim.

21 comments:

  1. No wok hei? And RM16 is as expensive as the mee mamak in my blogpost today, rather disappointing as well but at least, it came with a free drink, worth some RM6-7 - not going to order that again...ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah! Uncles & Aunties sure came in droves as per your photo there. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they were having a grand gathering there.

      Delete
  3. Geez. The kway Tebow looked good but pity lack in taste. But glad your fried rice is tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they dare call themselves authentic Penang CKT. LOL!

      Delete
  4. ah, this is the ckt ewew wrote about. my lunch makan group just made a plan to eat here next week. I guess they will have to try in order to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to know what you think. I remember you said you don't like wok hei, so maybe this suits you.

      Delete
  5. wow! you can eat 2 meals back to back complete with drinks too though you did not drink the too sweet lohonguo. you are keng!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes i will crave for ckt, my ckt must have fresh big cockles yum yum, you are a big eater like me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... we can compete with each other :)

      Delete
  7. So, I'm not alone in not liking their CKT. When I said it was expensive after the lady told me that if I wanted to add prawns, it'll cost an extra RM7 (of two prawns), she said she's giving large prawns. I then replied that her definition of large prawns may not be my definition of large prawns!...and I see it wasn't your definition of large prawns either. Having said that, I have to give it to them that they can be considered large prawns if you compare them with the usual prawns used by CKT hawkers.

    I'm surprised at just how many hits (hundreds) my post on CKT King has garnered over just two days...and second on the list if you google CKT King (and that's only becoz EDKL didn't write a post on this...wakakakaka! :D)

    I awaiting to see what you think of Prawn Noodle King...hehe. P/S: Pat poh is herbal tea with 'eight treasures' aka 8 types of herbs. If you like strong herbal taste (not this one though), then you'll probably like pat poh drink (I don't).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad we are of the same opinion. In fact I was quite excited when I read your review. I did not know that the name is Char Koay Teow King until I read your post and upon googling, yup, your post popped up prominently. Good for you! After reading your review, I think Sean need not go there wahahahaa!!!

      Sure, will try the Prawn Noodle King. I remember you were underwhelmed by it.

      Delete
    2. And thanks for explaining what is pat poh. That was a mystery to me. I don't think I will like it.

      Delete
  8. I can never resist a good plate of Char Kway Teow, dear. Great picks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeeeer! Looks like you have turned me away from trying this place. I thought that I must try it for my own curiousity's sake after hearing what Kris blogged about the CKT.

    I guess this Pat Poh could be a native Penang's herbal drink. Many locals there drink it with milk and ice!! I love that weird and minty taste. Hee heee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For you Penang lang, you sure spit after trying the CKT. Mana siang Penang eh CKT?

      Delete
  10. that CKT doesn't look like Penang CKT lor….more of KL version....The prawns are not big enuff...and I want more lards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, I just had the real deal from the island and I don't think I want to visit this place LOL
    The Egg Foo Yong Rice obviously not something I familiar judging by your photo, what is it actually?

    ReplyDelete