Thursday 2 August 2018

Mummy's Yellow Beef


This is one of my mum's signature dishes. Everyone in the family loves it. Her version is more generous with the onions and garlic and it looks like I underestimated my ingredients again.

The garam kunyit spice paste is made with shallots, garlic, turmeric, chilies and salt. I have cooked chicken and fish garam kunyit and guess what? You can also cook eggplant this style. Yes, that's my next project.


Although tastewise this garam kunyit beef turned out well, I am still not satisfied because there was too little rempah in the beef. I admit the stinginess was pretty much due to laziness because I used the mortar and pestle to pound the ingredients.

More ingredients means more pounding. Laziness does not pay when it comes to rempah. Sure, I could use the blender but that would mean more washing, right? Yeah, I hate washing the blender. Haiz........


To speed up my job, I prepared all my ingredients a day ahead. The beef and spice paste sat in the fridge overnight and the next day, all I did was heat up the oil in the wok and fry away. I like prepping in advance to make my life in the kitchen  easier.


My mum loves to serve this beef garam kunyit with coleslaw and that's how I love to eat it too. Believe me, it goes really well with coleslaw, strange as it may sound.

Beef Garam Kunyit
Recipe source : Phong Hong
Note : Recipe has been adjusted to up the shallots and chilies

Ingredients :
- 500g sliced beef (I used chuck tender)
- 20 shallots
- 4 red chilies
- 5 cloves garlic
- thumb sized fresh turmeric
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste

Method :
1. Pound or blend the shallots, chilies, garlic and fresh turmeric (need not be too fine).
2. Add turmeric powder and salt to the spice paste.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix the beef slices with the spice paste and you may cook immediately or leave to marinate overnight in the fridge.
4. To cook, heat oil in wok and fry the beef until the meat changes color.
5. Add some water and simmer until beef is tender.
6. When the beef is tender, continue to cook until dry.

22 comments:

  1. 4 red chillies mean this dish is a little spicy or very spicy? I like to eat beef so a little spicy I would enjoy eating this dish a lot. just treat the pounding like lighting weight. imagine all the defined muscles you will get on your arm if you pound more ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not very spicy actually and not meant to be. Yes, I like defined muscles on my arms hah..hah...

      Delete
  2. I could imagine how fragrant and good the beef is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the post title on my side bar, I thought the yellow beef would be something like gulai...but it turned out that the yellow was referring to kunyit instead...hihihi! ;) This is quite similar to the Daging Goreng Kunyit you made with a beef cut called chuck tender that wasn't so tender. I believe you used the balance chuck tender you bought for this recipe...and will stay away from chuck tender after that? Kekeke! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no more chuck tender and it is not tender hah...hah...

      Delete
  4. Your mum is really a good cook with her own signature dishes! Can you please ask your mum to adopt me? I think she will like me because I can give her good foot massages while telling her silly jokes that will make her cry.

    I must confess that you lured me to buy tumeric for the first time to successfully fry my own crispy chicken. Now I must explore this garam kunyit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Never thought of adding kunyit in my beef. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. u can publish a cook book with this as the cover page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we had nice beef here - can't possible stir-fry the ones we have, as tough as leather. I think we did have something like this before...kunyit with pork belly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'generous with garlic' is music to my ears :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love this dish but would substitute the beef with mutton and where is the rice? LOL, looking forward to your next project, the eggplant, as I love eggplant

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am interested to try this....not too many steps in the recipe. It will depends on how lazy I get, too lazy ends up eating outside. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... If you do cook this, I hope you like it.

      Delete
  11. That's very weird combination of yellow beef + coleslaw =.=" How you have this combo, with rice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tried and tested in my family many times and we love it hah...hah...

      Delete