Friday 3 August 2018

The Good Batch : Still Good?


Back in June, I mentioned that I walked all the way to The Good Batch hoping to catch their big breakfast only to find that they were closed for renovations. Well, they have finally reopened.



This is my second visit, the first being on my birthday. The place does look fresher with an outdoor seating area. But with our current hot weather, I prefer to be inside.


Before I came over, I checked their revamped menu on their Facebook page.

Image source : The Good Batch Facebook page
I noted that some items were discontinued while others are largely intact with some new additions.
Image source : The Good Batch Facebook page
I was a little disappointed when I could no longer find tacos as I had wanted to try those. After another look at the much more streamlined menu onsite, I decided to play safe and try The Angmoh which is their big breakfast. I chose to have my eggs poached.


I must say that their coffee is superb. Powerful stuff. 

And here I am again, inspecting the  coffee cup. I promise I won't do this again.


When The Angmoh came to my table, the first thing that caught my eye were the very cute eggs.


So cute!


They were the favorite items on my plate.


The next thing that caught my eye were these two jars.


Apa tu? The one one the left with red content was "Dad's tomato baked beans confit" as described on the menu. On the right with mushrooms peeking out on top was the "garlic mushroom dip".

The baked beans tasted like sweet and sour sauce. I would actually prefer the baked beans to taste like baked beans. As for the mushrooms, I'm afraid I did not like it at all. The gravy dip was creamy and buttery, not my favorite.


So I just removed the mushrooms to eat and left the liquid untouched. I was informed that the toast is supposed to be dipped into the mushroom sauce.


As for the grilled chicken sausage and turkey ham, these were pretty generic and so were the baby hash.


As usual, I cleaned my plate, or rather the board. I have mixed feelings about this big breakfast. I would prefer the mushrooms sauteed and the baked beans left in its original form. Would I come back for this big breakfast? Honestly no, but I will come back to try some other things.

22 comments:

  1. Ooooo...the eggs! Absolutely perfegggg!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had the Angmoh some two years back, everything was the same except for the two jars...back then the mushrooms were sauteed and the baked beans tasted like baked beans. So, their revamped menu meant changing some small things...and made it worse? Kekeke! :D Most of their All Day Breakfast menu I see are still intact. I do think their coffees are very good too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes change is not always better. I went back for dinner and it was all right. Not really memorable.

      Delete
  3. Their food presentation is good and so are the whole ambience & decor.

    I wonder how they made such a creative & cute eggs? Teach me ok!
    The 2 jars are very European eating-style concept which I just learnt from the Korean program of Chef Baek's Alley.... That chef taught the wannabe to put several bowls beside the main dish to show generosity. Pandai nye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also wondering how to cook eggs like that!

      Delete
  4. I haven't been back since their reno but am glad to hear that coffee is still good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice filling breakfast. Really cute eggs and nicely poached!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok. got your message. will stay clear of this dish. no oink oink so not for my spouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... Oink oink makes the difference.

      Delete
  7. I love when the egg yolk came out runny. Yes. The Best!

    I would be disappointed too when the food you like is discontinued. Doesn't sound like the taste fit you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This big breakfast was a little disappointing.

      Delete
  8. I also ever encountered dishes which I like removed from the menu, it was Souper Tang, they removed their smoke duck from the menu, I was disappointed too, I thought the smoke duck was good and popular

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the eggs done this way too, eaten with toast will be perfect for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What you had suits me, next round you go again, tag me along, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I doubt if the board is suitable to serve the poached egg (it's made from cling wrap according to the shape) as if the yolk is runny, the liquid will flow out from the board easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer a plate though the board looks more hip. Many cafes using this type of thing to serve.

      Delete